Trade: [TOR/TB] Eric Sogard for 2 PTBNLs

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Eric Sogard - career OPS of .657 - has a higher career WAR than Dante Bichette

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Who would have ever thought he would have trade value?

Always knew he had value in matt Garza's head, but didn't know about anywhere else.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Who would have ever thought he would have trade value?

Always knew he had value in matt Garza's head, but didn't know about anywhere else.

I mean he has a 125 OPS+ this year and can play almost anywhere from middle infield to outfield, why wouldn’t he save some value?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Eric Sogard - career OPS of .657 - has a higher career WAR than Dante Bichette

His 1999 season is crazy.

298/354/895 34 HR for a -2.1 WAR. 895 OPS but only 102 OPS+. Coors before the humidor was pretty insane though.

Also he was -40 fielding runs after positional adjustment.

What an odd season.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Not the "big deal" trade I wanted to see out of the Rays, but hey, with the way this team has been slip slidin away the last couple weeks, getting help, in ANY form is welcome.
Particularly if the asking team isn't even getting a current roster player (PTBNL are usually mid to low level minor leaguers).

I get that Sogard is having a good year and the Rays could always use more offense, but I think the Rays need pitching more, particularly in the bullpen. And now, with Blake Snell going down, they may need to acquire a starting pitcher of sorts too.

I suppose as long as Sogard stays playing the way he has, it will be a good deal for TB who is still trying to chase down a WC spot, but fact is, Sogard seems to be playing over his head...way over his head.
Betting the Rays and Jays both know this and this trade happened as a classic "trade him at his peak" type deal.

Welcome Eric Sogard to the Rays, but I wanna see some pitchers picked up by TB before the deadline.

Last edited:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Do clubs actually name a player later? I can't recall one that worked out or even a club naming one later. Was Bautista?

The way PTBNL works is the teams agree on a list of players/prospects that the receiving team can choose from.

Michael Brantley is an example of a really good PTBNL in a trade, he was ptbnl in Sabathia deal. It’s usually lower end or more long shot prospects that usually wind up being ptbnl, which is why it’s rare for them to turn into impact players.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
From I’m hearing it’s a PTBNL because drafted players can’t be traded until a year after they’ve been signed or something such like that...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->