Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] TOR trades 25 (Dominik Bokk) to STL for 29 (Rasmus Sandin) + 76 (Semyon Der-Arguchintsev)

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
If the Leafs were down to Beaudin and Sandin, as has been rumored, then this trade worked out. Although, I still would have preferred Bokk.

Bokk may have more upside but he’s also higher risk to bust and he plays on the wing which is less important and easier to replace compared with a top 4 d man.

The leafs did well with Sandin and Durzi who according to the analytics have a >50% chance to become nhl regulars.

That means no more Hainsey, Polak etc.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
With respect to Konecny, he is a good young player and had a great sophomore season but some context behind his production is important.

He posted 14 points in the first 40 games of the season but his production only increased drastically in the second half (33 points in 41 games) after being moved up to the first line with Giroux and Couturier. He's demonstrated that he can be a good complimentary player in a top 6 role when paired with high end playmakers but I don't know if he's necessarily an impact player that can create his own offence or drive a line.

If you consider the differing development curves of forwards vs defencemen, it would be premature to definitively state that Konecny is a more valuable player than Dermott. More so if you consider the difference in market value of their respective positions (i.e. top 6 winger vs top 4 Dman).

Dermott only played bottom pairing mins and role. He was given easy assignments and was barely playing PK. Top 6 winger vs bottom pairing D is pretty clear to me.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
So I read that apparently SDA is one of the youngest players drafted and could have been a first round draft pick next year? Is that correct?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I don't know why Leafs fans even bring Konecky into the conversation. It's been documented that they weren't going to draft him at 24.
It's like Montreal fans saying they could have had Debrincat if they hadn't traded for Shaw. Judging by the Habs drafting record, there is no indication they would selected Debrincat, and even if they had, they could have really stunted his career.
They would have drafted Konecny. He was the top guy left on their board. Its never been publically documented we would draft Larsson. The only link is we interviewed him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So I read that apparently SDA is one of the youngest players drafted and could have been a first round draft pick next year? Is that correct?
He's the youngest player in the draft (born right at the cut-off date). The other statement is a pretty strong exageration, considering he was on a bunch on NHL teams no-draft lists this year. If he has a crazy season, maybe he'd get 1st round consideration. But currently, he wouldn't even be in the discussion.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
They would have drafted Konecny. He was the top guy left on their board. Its never been publically documented we would draft Larsson. The only link is we interviewed him.
And where's the public documentation that Konecny was who we'd draft?

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I mean, maybe. He missed the cutoff by about a day. If you look at his production as his D-1 season it looks very strong. he'd have to have a great season though of course

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

What??? Konecny may have been on the "universal list" that Bob McKenzie and others publish. If hockey fans want to that is same list for every team so be it. Didn't you see what happened in the first round this year? Players were picked by teams that were out of order from the experts list.
I'll go by my sources and yes that were publicized that Larsson was the Leafs desired pick, even if goes against the not so accurate lists compiled by multiple draft publications.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I also remember Larsson was reported to be liked by Leafs so imma need to see some info that Konecny was #1 on the Leafs list, not McKenzie's

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What??? Konecny may have been on the "universal list" that Bob McKenzie and others publish. If hockey fans want to that is same list for every team so be it. Didn't you see what happened in the first round this year? Players were picked by teams that were out of order from the experts list.
I'll go by my sources and yes that were publicized that Larsson was the Leafs desired pick, even if goes against the not so accurate lists compiled by multiple draft publications.
I’ll trust mine. I’m not going off universal lists.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
So you're saying based off your own personal draft list, Dubas/Hunter would've picked Konecny at 24? Yikes
No, I’m saying off the Leafs draft board Konecny was the top guy on the board.

And it was Hunter who would have and Dubas insisted on the trade down and won out.

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
He will be bigger next year and if he was to put up something like 1.5+ ppg in the OHL he would receive 1st round consideration. Happy we have him as our own project.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think I like Dermott better than Konecny. So I’m glad that Dubas won.
Konency currently has more value. And, the big question is will Bracco and Dzierkals amount to anything to take the risk of trading down 10 spots.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Konency currently has more value. And, the big question is will Bracco and Dzierkals amount to anything to take the risk of trading down 10 spots.

Konency is just more of what we have. I expect Johnsson to produce similar results if given time with Nylander, Marner, Matthews etc.

I’d rather have the guy with top 4 D potential.

Reactions: stickty111

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Konency is just more of what we have. I expect Johnsson to produce similar results if given time with Nylander, Marner, Matthews etc.

I’d rather have the guy with top 4 D potential.
Look, I'm happy with Dermott, but Konecny would currently have more value league wide. Johnsson is also like 3 years older than Konecny. I'd expect Konecny to break into the 60 point territory next year.

The trade worked out, as Dermott is tracking well. But, you have to account for the risk of trading down 10 spots, so you hope that the difference in picks is somewhat compensated by the late round selections. Currently, I would not expect Bracco or Dzierkals to have significant NHL careers.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
He wasn't one of the youngest - he was THE youngest. With a birthday of September 15, 2000, he was born on the last eligible day to qualify for the 2018 Draft. One day later and he would have only become draft eligible for the 2019 Draft.

He scored at a 0.75 PPG clip this past season. Assuming he was born a day later, that scoring pace would be pretty impressive for a pre-draft year. If he increases his production next season by, say, 50%, that would bring his PPG up to 1.125 PPG (translating to 77 points over the course of the same 68 games he played this past season). I believe those to be the numbers of a first rounder.

Yeah, there are a lot of assumptions and "what ifs" in the above paragraph but I find them to be reasonable. Seriously, though, look for this guy to explode this year. Love this pick!

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Dermott had by far the best goals against per 60 minutes among the defencemen on our team, and he was on pace for a 28 point rookie season despite no PP time.

Not sure why some people are convinced we definitely missed out and should have taken Konecny. Dermott addresses our team needs much better, and to me has been just as good, if not better than Konecny so far in the NHL, though in a smaller sample size.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He wasn't one of the youngest - he was THE youngest. With a birthday of September 15, 2000, he was born on the last eligible day to qualify for the 2018 Draft. One day later and he would have only become draft eligible for the 2019 Draft.

He scored at a 0.75 PPG clip this past season. Assuming he was born a day later, that scoring pace would be pretty impressive for a pre-draft year. If he increases his production next season by, say, 50%, that would bring his PPG up to 1.125 PPG (translating to 77 points over the course of the same 68 games he played this past season). I believe those to be the numbers of a first rounder.

Yeah, there are a lot of assumptions and "what ifs" in the above paragraph but I find them to be reasonable. Seriously, though, look for this guy to explode this year. Love this pick!
Its not all about numbers. He simply doesn't skate well enough at this point in time, regardless of numbers to be a first rounder, and if he was born later, we would here exactly what we heard this year about Ryan McLeod and Matthew Tkachuk, were "they should be compared against last years class."

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Its not all about numbers. He simply doesn't skate well enough at this point in time, regardless of numbers to be a first rounder, and if he was born later, we would here exactly what we heard this year about Ryan McLeod and Matthew Tkachuk, were "they should be compared against last years class."

What's easier to fix?

Edgework and pivots, lateral mobility or explosivness and straight line speed? Or is it just player dependent?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What's easier to fix?

Edgework and pivots, lateral mobility or explosivness and straight line speed? Or is it just player dependent?
Straight line speed and explosiveness is easier to fix, provided its a strength issue. Fixing edgework and stride is way harder, as they are reworking motions you already have ingrained and come natural to you.

Reactions: Kiwi

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland

Just trying to stay positive, man! I knew someone was going to put forth this argument (and it's a valid one). I was on your side of the argument against Anthony Mantha in 2013. He was born on September 16, 1994 so he missed the 2012 Draft by one day. Still one hell of a hockey player.

Let's just hope SPA pans out! I'd be so pumped if he became part of our top six in a few years!

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
What's easier to fix?

This one is pretty obvious. One's a technique problem and the other has to do with muscle fibres+strength.

Edgework, pivots and lateral mobility is about technique and the talent one possesses to have good edges, good lateral mobility and such. To fix that would have someone essentially relearning skating to acquire different skills (this being the technical side) that would allow them to have good edge work. The latter is about strength of stride and muscle. Also genetics, but that's obvious. You can train to get faster. I've worked out for a few years and just beat out a guy who ran a 12.5 second 100 metre and we're the same weight. That is controllable.

Reactions: Kiwi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->