Trade: [TOR/STL] Randal Grichuk to the Jays for Dominic Leone and Conner Greene

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Leone pitches like he did in 2014 and 2017, he could very well be our closer. Glad that we now have spots for some of our younger outfielders.

Grichuk is a solid outfielder, can play any of the spots. Should put up some good power numbers in Toronto, and if he ever finds consistency in his bat, he'll make an even bigger impact.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Not surprising that Grichuk was moved. He's pretty clearly the odd man out with Pham, Osuna, and Fowler. He'll never be a high OBP guy, but he's got some decent pop. He's a good complimentary piece in the lineup and he plays the outfield well enough. Wish him well.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Decent defender with some pop. If he can cut down on the K's and get on base a bit more often could be a valuable player. 25 y/o so still fairly young. Got no problem with this deal. Jays don't have any studs in the OF but they have a much deeper and more capable group than they did last year. Same with the infield with Solarte and Diaz in the mix. If someone's not playing well or gets injured, there are decent options to fill in or form a platoon. Leone was great for the Jays last year but I'll do this trade 10 out of 10 times.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Yes, and these guys aren't upgrades.
Given what they went into the offseason with, most additions would be an upgrade. Having Steve Pearce and Ezequiel Carrera in line for semi-regular at bats is never an ideal situation.

Nothing against Pearce, he has a good bat, but he can hardly even fake it in the outfield.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Given what they went into the offseason with, most additions would be an upgrade. Having Steve Pearce and Ezequiel Carrera in line for semi-regular at bats is never an ideal situation.

Nothing against Pearce, he has a good bat, but he can hardly even fake it in the outfield.

Yeah, he looks so unnatural in the outfield and he has a bad arm. This is probably a bad idea but for some reason I could see him as a 2B. Just the way he moves or something. given that Travis will miss 150+ games I would give him a few reps there and see how he does.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Yeah, he looks so unnatural in the outfield and he has a bad arm. This is probably a bad idea but for some reason I could see him as a 2B. Just the way he moves or something. given that Travis will miss 150+ games I would give him a few reps there and see how he does.
He did play over 240 innings at 2B between 2015-2016 with Baltimore so he has previous experience there should such a need arise. But with the newly acquired infield depth, I doubt we’ll see him there. I thought he might have seen time there last year given all the injuries to their infielders.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
The Jays are now have bunch of quarters, hoping it makes a dollar.....it doesn't. Either way it looks like they have five .250 hitters in the outfield. Not saying they have any options, but Jays are just a .500 at best. If everything...everything goes well, maybe winning 90 games.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not that anyone is going to argue that these moves are earth shattering but what would people like the Jays to do? Like people look at a one year bargain bin signing of Curtis Granderson as a signal that this is some sort of franchise changing move.

News flash: They are filling holes and upgrading the depth on the cheap.

They are not in a position to make blockbuster trades to bring in big time talent or sign high end players to big money deals. It doesn't make sense. If they do anything big it should be a selling move rather than buying. The core is what it is. It has talent but it has flaws. If everything works out well then it could challenge for the playoffs but chances are they are on the outside looking in
There's no point in blowing their brains out on aging players and bad contracts with the hope of maybe making the playoffs. The smart move is to re tool for the future and wait until Vlad jr, Bo and others are ready

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
They're picking up some good depth players, be nice to see them get Yelich though, that would definitely solidify the lineup.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Only issue with him is he's never really played close to a full season, so not sure if they platoon him or not.

He has always been a very streaky hitter, so he has bounced between starter and the doghouse. Rasmus isn't a bad comparison, but Colby got on base more.

I like the trade for the Cardinals, but it leaves them thin in the outfield. Does it make sense to have Bader or O'Neill sit on the bench in the majors? I bet they bring in a vet, still a lot of quality players out there.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
All they need to do is dump Carrera somewhere and they will be fine.

Pearce/Granderson - Pillar - Grichuk

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
All they need to do is dump Carrera somewhere and they will be fine.

Pearce/Granderson - Pillar - Grichuk

This ^^^

Ideally the Jays would get rid of Morales so that Pearce would be 'full time DH' and the LF platoon could be improved but this OF is better than what we rolled out last year. Diaz/Solarte is better than Goins/Barney. Now need another pitcher and a back-up catcher. The moves aren't sexy but the team is better and deeper than last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad