Proposal: [TOR/STL] 10-Player Blockbuster Trade (realistic)

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Shattenkirk (4.25 expiring)
Berglund (3.7 expiring)
Reaves (1.125 @ 2 yrs)
= 9.075 mil

Kadri (4.5 x 6 yrs)
Hunwick (1.2 expiring)
Brown (650k)
Leivo (RFA - QO was extended)
Leipsic (625k)
Loov (743k)
= 7.718 mil

Why for Toronto:
  • Leivo likely lost to waivers this season anyway.
  • Leipsic is another in a long list of 5'9 small wingers we have.
  • Brown is ready for a middle-six role while on a cheap, controllable contract. Hunwick is an expiring and can give STL bottom pairing minutes this year as a stop-gap.
  • Kadri is our current 2C (probably 3C down the line) and he's packaged for a legitimate #2-3D.
  • Berglund is a Kadri replacement as our 3C and gives us some size that Babcock wants.
  • Reaves is one of the best 4th liners in the league, only makes 1 mil x 2 yrs, and is the capable player who also fight and protect out young guys.

Why for STL:
  • Shattenkirk is expiring and out of STL's price range.
  • Parayko also needs a new contract next summer.
  • STL still has Pietrangelo, Parayko, Bouwmeester, Gunnarsson, Edmundson, and an excellent prospect in Vince Dunn who nearly made the team out of camp last year and is loved by Hitchcock.
  • Kadri gives them a solid 2/3 C to slot in behind Stastny and Lehtera.
  • Brown and Leivo can play in their bottom-9 now and are cheap and controllable. Leipsic could be something.
  • They likely lose Berglund for nothing next summer as a UFA.
  • STL saves a little money.

Who says no? I would do this as a Leafs fan.

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
No thanks from the Leafs either. Rather use JvR as a trade chip for a dman then Kadri. Nazem wears his heart on his sleeve for the Leafs.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
When someone says "Trust me", it's generally a good sign you should be wary. I guess the same hold when someone marks a hypothetical trade as "realistic" because this in no way is.

Big no from St. Louis, and not at all realistic

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
We told him no on the Leafs section...(from St.Louis)

Preface this with saying that St.Louis is unlikely to get back a #1C for Shattenkirk with his future up in the air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad