Tor Star cites Gretzky & Bertuzzi

Status
Not open for further replies.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
Toronto Star, in the Saturday year-end issue of the biggest circulation newspaper in Canada, on their main Editorial page put gretzky and then bertuzzi at the top of their “Darts†list, which is their bad/worst people of the year, where they’re in company with the likes of Brian Mulroney, Conrad Black and Pat Robertson.

unfortunately, I think this Team Canada inclusion is about as bad for hockey as the new NHL is good for it.

bertuzzi and his attack is going to be the lead story in every country Canada plays, the stalk-punch-decking replayed over and over in a dozen countries – and even if people don’t remember his name, it’ll be, “Holy heck, some guy from Canada did that to someone!? And they put him on their Olympic team!?â€

here’s how the Star put it today:

WAYNE GRETZKY: For stubbornness; the one-time NHL superstar made a mockery of “sportsmanship†by naming thug Todd Bertuzzi to the Canadian Olympic team.

TODD BERTUZZI: For embarrassing Canada; the Vancouver Canuck goon doesn’t realize his presence on Team Canada will mark a sad day for true hockey fans.

glad somebody pointed this out, and I hope that now, after the honour of being selected, he does the right thing and withdraws for the good of his country.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I wouldn't hold your breath on that one.

Remember, we're out to prove we're the best hockey players, not the nicest.

Zaddik

And this is coming from Toronto? Not surprised.

The article is absurd and the remark you made at the end of your post is absurd as well. Yes he did a terrible thing, but it is something that should not hang on his head wherever he goes. Only narrow-minded people will see the bertuzzi-moore incident as the most heinous act ever commited when there have been more disturbing acts commited in the history of the NHL.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
some of you people are ****ing ridiculous.

not getting in to another Bertuzzi debate, but move on.

mooseOAK*

It's the Toronto Star, say no more. Where all violence is bad and there is no more important person in the world than the single mother.

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
In before the lock. :sarcasm:

Oh, and if Big Bert is not enough to get it locked let me add AO >> SC.

Macman

May 15, 2004
LannysStach said:
unfortunately, I think this Team Canada inclusion is about as bad for hockey as the new NHL is good for it.

Then by all means make sure you don't watch. I, for one, will.

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
Hum- does the newspaper also include Heatley in their dart throwing contest? I love the way Bertuzzi is singled out, yet Heatley's irresponsibility caused the death of a passenger/friend in his car- why is that glossed over by the press as somehow not as bad as what Bertuzzi did. I am NOT saying what Bertuzzi did was by any means acceptable and if I had been Bettman I probably would have kept him from playing at least a substantial part of this season, but the NHL chose to let him play this season so Team Canada had every right to pick him to better their team. He is not a saint, neither is Brodeur in his personal life which is well documented, neither is Heatley for his irresponsibility (which I feel he should have had stiffer punishment than what the late judge chose to give him in Atlanta)- the list goes on and on. It just bugs me with the double standard the press giving to Bertuzzi and his actions as if he is the only one who has black marks in his past that are on the team. :rant:

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Wow.

I'm glad Gretzky had the balls to stand up to this kind of fanatic idiocy, and actually name Bertuzzi to the team. I think the anger it is causing in all these self-appointed 'morality police' is pretty awesome, and I like nothing more then to see these people squirm. Let them keep publishing articles like this and meeting for anti-Bertuzzi rallies; normal people forgive and forget and move on to cheer for a great looking Team Canada. All this nonsense about Bertuzzi, Heatley, and even Doan for that reffing incident is just people yelling to hear the sound of their own voices.

I was as outraged as anyone at what Bertuzzi did, but the people who continually bring it up and whine about it are just making me even more sick. Not even that big of a Bertuzzi fan, but I hope he's the leading scorer in the tournament just to spite these people.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
sXe said:
In before the lock. :sarcasm:

Oh, and if Big Bert is not enough to get it locked let me add AO >> SC.

Adam Oates is better than Simon Caldwell? :D

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
jtuzzi said:
some of you people are ****ing ridiculous.

not getting in to another Bertuzzi debate, but move on.

:bow:

Leave the man alone, Bertuzzi is deserving of Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->