Proposal: [TOR/SJS]

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If I was DW, I'd do that. Tierney would be a tough sell because we need him and he's actually one of our top goal scorers right now.

Soft spot for him, Keswick boy lol.

JVR re-signed and Carrick (gives you a roster RHD to plug in for the time being) for Tierney and Braun? Drop the pick?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Braun for an extended JVR would work for me.

Braun is too much just to give up for a rental that's probably not going to push us over the edge for a cup. I'd imagine we'd want him resigned or the price would be steep for Braun.

JVR + a conditional 1st for Braun +, 2 conditional 3rds. Picks stay on both sides if he resigns. He's every bit of a #3 d man on a good team, #2 on one weak on D.
Braun really isn't that good anymore, (I've watched a handful Sharks games this year I don't know if he's been doing well, didn't impress me in the games I've seen) he's a good 4D. Not a 3D anymore and no where near a 2D. Pretty bad for Toronto

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Well there you go, send the papers.

JVR resigned

for

Braun
3rd (maybe conditions to become a 2nd if the sharks make it past the 2nd round?)

JVR has a lot of value but Braun is the style of top 4 RD they need and we have so many wingers that we should be able to fill JVR's spot internally no problem. His replacement may not score 30 goals every year but could likely make up for lost production in other areas.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
If I was DW, I'd do that. Tierney would be a tough sell because we need him and he's actually one of our top goal scorers right now.

Doug Wilson is the key here (obvious understatement). I'd think all NHL GMs will realize that any decent defender (especially a top 4) this deep into the season or at TDL will be a hot commodity and fetch a lot of interest.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sharks say no. No need for Kapanen for Braun right now.

Edit: wouldn’t do the JVR one either because whatever scoring we get from him we lose from losing Braun without anyone to replace him.

TheWayToRefJose

Oct 30, 2017
Sharks say no. No need for Kapanen for Braun right now.

Edit: wouldn’t do the JVR one either because whatever scoring we get from him we lose from losing Braun without anyone to replace him.
Ryan and Vlassic. Nuff said. We're the best defensive team in the league and at the bottom in scoring. Doesn't matter how good the D is if you can't score.

No deal with Carrick. We need to lose a D man, not ship one out for another one.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Ryan and Vlassic. Nuff said. We're the best defensive team in the league and at the bottom in scoring. Doesn't matter how good the D is if you can't score.

No deal with Carrick. We need to lose a D man, not ship one out for another one.
And who replaces Ryan on the second pair?

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Doesn't matter why Carrick is replaced. He has played in 17 of 26 games. He gets scratched from a blue line that most of would say isn't amongst the strongest blue lines in the NHL.
Of course it matters lol....many leaf fans don't agree with scratching him for Polak.

Also he is 23 and will likely play almost 200 games before he turns 24. A lot of defenders are still in the AHL at 23. Think people don't realize Carrick isn't a finished product and played a lot of the year last year on the 2nd pairing with Gardiner putting up pretty good advanced stats. He likely tops out as a very good #5 or maybe a #4 on a cheap contract. Not the type of player you trade as you will never get full value for him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Martin

Them Dillon and heed on the 3rd.
What happens in 2 years when Martin is gone? Or when he comes back and isn’t as effective? We play Demelo? Who hasn’t been good at all this year. Okay so now who’s our 7th D because we have no one in the AHL that is NHL ready

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Well there you go, send the papers.

JVR resigned

for

Braun
3rd (maybe conditions to become a 2nd if the sharks make it past the 2nd round?)

JVR has a lot of value but Braun is the style of top 4 RD they need and we have so many wingers that we should be able to fill JVR's spot internally no problem. His replacement may not score 30 goals every year but could likely make up for lost production in other areas.

what the hell? How about no from Toronto?

Braun is a good dman but JVR is a 60pt winger.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
And Braun is a top 3 D. It would be the equivalent of Larson for Hall but on a lesser scale

Top 3 is a bit disingenuous. I'd love to have the guy, but he would never be more than a #3 on a good team. I don't think I would trade a 60pt player like JVR for that. That's a 1st line winger on many teams.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Top 3 is a bit disingenuous. I'd love to have the guy, but he would never be more than a #3 on a good team. I don't think I would trade a 60pt player like JVR for that. That's a 1st line winger on many teams.
Well if JVR is a 60 point winger then Joe Thornton is a 100 point center because both have hit that point total exactly twice. JVR is good no doubt but he’s also a winger and that is a much less valued position than D. Braun and Vatanen are similar and Vatanen just got Henrique a good prospect and a pick

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well if JVR is a 60 point winger then Joe Thornton is a 100 point center because both have hit that point total exactly twice. JVR is good no doubt but he’s also a winger and that is a much less valued position than D. Braun and Vatanen are similar and Vatanen just got Henrique a good prospect and a pick

Yes, but none of those were Leaf players. Leaf players automatically fetch more. :jk:

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As a Leafs fan, and I know I'm going to get hammered for this, Braun for JVR isn't a bad switch. Scoring for D. Both teams acquire what they need from positions of strength.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As a Leafs fan, and I know I'm going to get hammered for this, Braun for JVR isn't a bad switch. Scoring for D. Both teams acquire what they need from positions of strength.
But D isn’t a position of strength for the Sharks. They have a good top 6 but after that it’s a HUGE drop off. Especially at RD. We can move one of Dillon or Martin otherwise our depth takes a HUGE hit

Edit:

If we were to move Braun for JVR it would look more like Braun+F for JVR+D

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I think JVR is wanting 6x6 or 8 years at a lower cap hit around 5ish. If SJS want that, i'd do JVR re-signed for Braun and a 3rd.

Anyway we can work Tierney in?

Honestly, I don't think JVR for Braun is a good basis. I'd prefer someone better defensively but with less offense potential. I would be happy with a Braun + Tierney/Dillon/Labanc for Kadri + SJ 3rd deal, but I assume Kadri is untouchable for you.

As to the OP, not bad value if Kapenen is as good as your hype of him (haven't seen him play). I would prefer you keep Kap and center a deal around your protected 1st.

Braun + Hansen (@50% so 1M cap) for Komarov (as a cap balance)+ Fehr (cap dump)+ Carrick + 1st

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Honestly, I don't think JVR for Braun is a good basis. I'd prefer someone better defensively but with less offense potential. I would be happy with a Braun + Tierney/Dillon/Labanc for Kadri + SJ 3rd deal, but I assume Kadri is untouchable for you.

As to the OP, not bad value if Kapenen is as good as your hype of him (haven't seen him play). I would prefer you keep Kap and center a deal around your protected 1st.

Braun + Hansen (@50% so 1M cap) for Komarov (as a cap balance)+ Fehr (cap dump)+ Carrick + 1st

I'd pass on both of the suggestions Kadri is a non-starter and I wouldn't really want to include our 1st in any deal for Braun unless you're taking Horton but his contract is uninsured (so no SJS wouldn't do that lol).

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Sharks aren't going to trade Justin Braun while they still feel like they're competing which they are this year.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
I'd pass on both of the suggestions Kadri is a non-starter and I wouldn't really want to include our 1st in any deal for Braun unless you're taking Horton but his contract is uninsured (so no SJS wouldn't do that lol).

I had to look at Horton's salary after reading your comment. Yeah, 12 M in real money over this and 2 more seasons (with a 5.3M cap) would give any team, pause (even cap floor teams don't want that much real salary). Only way I could see Sharks doing that is if we gave you Martin/Dillon, not Braun, for Horton + Marner (or something of similar value). Basically, I agree it is a non-starter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad