Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Rasmus Sandin to Entry-Level Contract

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Can we just play Sandin & Liljigren together on the Marlies for a season or two, and hope they develop into a solid pairing for the leafs some day?

Rielly - - Dermott
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Sandin - Liljigren
I would love to see him and Liljegren play together on the Marlies this year, but there is such a log jam on D there this season, I can't see it happening, unless we move a number of bodies out via trade.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Dubas said after the draft he expects him to play in the Soo. So, maybe that's why the ELC today then. Dubas wants to control.
He's Rogle's property, Leafs have to offer him back on loan or send him to the AHL. Dubas has a voice, but doesn't completely dictate were Sandin plays.

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I would love to see him and Liljegren play together on the Marlies this year, but there is such a log jam on D there this season, I can't see it happening, unless we move a number of bodies out via trade.
Plus Sandin likely isnt ready for the AHL.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Perhaps not, but it is tough to tell until training camp.
He got hit hard pretty often in SSM. He needs to adapt his game to avoid that to play against men. I'd hope for another year in SSM, then the AHL in 2019/20. I'm not a fan of being ultra-aggressive with our picks. Liljegren was a special situation in that Rogle wasn't a great spot for him, and we had no faith in the Ice Dogs ability to handle him (I wouldn't trust that management staff with an elite prospect). If he has his heart set on Rogle, hopefully he can get a top 4 role there. While SHL is of similar quality to the AHL, it isn't as physical a league, so it should be easier to play at, at his size.

Is it official there are no bonuses in his deal or is it just Cap Friendly doesn't have the info yet?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I fully suspect it'll be between Rogle and the Marlies for Sandin.

I think the Leafs will see how he looks in training camp before deciding what's best for him. The Marlies have a lot of depth so I think Rogle will make sense for playing time but maybe he impresses so much like Liljegren did and they opt to keep him in North America. We'll see.

I'd be very surprised if he was back with the Greyhouds... very surprised.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I fully suspect it'll be between Rogle and the Marlies for Sandin.

I think the Leafs will see how he looks in training camp before deciding what's best for him. The Marlies have a lot of depth so I think Rogle will make sense for playing time but maybe he impresses so much like Liljegren did and they opt to keep him in North America. We'll see.

I'd be very surprised if he was back with the Greyhouds... very surprised.

With our management now taking the ‘don’t rush’ approach with out prospects, I think it’s more likely he returns to the Greyhounds than join the Marlies.

Either Rogle or SSM IMO.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With our management now taking the ‘don’t rush’ approach with out prospects, I think it’s more likely he returns to the Greyhounds than join the Marlies.

Either Rogle or SSM IMO.

If he shows he's ready, there's no rushing anyone. Liljegren played in the AHL at his current age just this past year and also had the opportunity to play in Rogle.

Like I said, I'd be shocked if he was back in SSM. He wants to play for Rogle and he was loaned from there to the SSM but if he really impresses in training camp, it's possible they'll want him with the Marlies to develop closer to them.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Unfortunately Sandin won't play a game for the Marlies for at least 2 years. I believe he can't play in the AHL until he's 20 since he's in the OHL. The only exception would be that if he were on loan to the OHL, which I don't believe is the case.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Unfortunately Sandin won't play a game for the Marlies for at least 2 years. I believe he can't play in the AHL until he's 20 since he's in the OHL. The only exception would be that if he were on loan to the OHL, which I don't believe is the case.

He's eligible to play in the AHL right away since he was loaned from Rogle (SHL) to the Greyhounds (CHL). This was confirmed by Johnston (I think). It is basically the same situation as Alex Nylander and Julius Honka where they played in the AHL as 18 years old despite being drafted out of the CHL.

He played 5 games for Rogle to start the year but then was loaned to the Greyhounds for the season.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
He's eligible to play in the AHL right away since he was loaned from Rogle (SHL) to the Greyhounds (CHL). This was confirmed by Johnston (I think). It is basically the same situation as Alex Nylander and Julius Honka where they played in the AHL as 18 years old despite being drafted out of the CHL.
Interesting. I missed seeing the news about him being on loan. Thanks!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He's Rogle's property, Leafs have to offer him back on loan or send him to the AHL. Dubas has a voice, but doesn't completely dictate were Sandin plays.

Are you sure? I thought for 1st rounders the SHL team didn't have a say but for non 1st rounders they did. Which is why Liljegren didn't have to go back, but Grundstrom and Johnsson did until they were I think 20?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
If he shows he's ready, there's no rushing anyone. Liljegren played in the AHL at his current age just this past year and also had the opportunity to play in Rogle.

Like I said, I'd be shocked if he was back in SSM. He wants to play for Rogle and he was loaned from there to the SSM but if he really impresses in training camp, it's possible they'll want him with the Marlies to develop closer to them.
Liljegren was drafted by an OHL team there was no chance we would trust with the development of a key prospect. Its pretty clear Dubas would trust SSM. I think SSM is the best option. This kid is not AHL ready, and it would be stupid to be overly aggressive with him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Are you sure? I thought for 1st rounders the SHL team didn't have a say but for non 1st rounders they did. Which is why Liljegren didn't have to go back, but Grundstrom and Johnsson did until they were I think 20?
I don't think they can just send him to the OHL. AHL is a different story, but I don't think Sandin is ready for that level of play. It all depends on contract clauses. For example, Pettersson has a European assignment clause in his Canucks deal which means he can go back to Europe if they try to send him down.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Liljegren was drafted by an OHL team there was no chance we would trust with the development of a key prospect. Its pretty clear Dubas would trust SSM. I think SSM is the best option. This kid is not AHL ready, and it would be stupid to be overly aggressive with him.

My money would be on Rogle. Small chance the Marlies is an option and he'd need a great training camp for that to happen, like Liljegren. I'd say the chances he goes back to the OHL are even smaller.

By going to Rogle, they can re-assess his play soon after the WJCs (assuming he makes the team) where they can either leave him there for the rest of the season or bring him to the Marlies. Sort of like Nylander and some recent Swedish prospects.

As per an article in Swedish, he does not have an European out clause so the Leafs can send him where they see fit. I assume Sandin will have a say in where he'd like to play and he did mention that he wanted to go back to Sweden next season.

Last edited:

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I don't think they can just send him to the OHL. AHL is a different story, but I don't think Sandin is ready for that level of play. It all depends on contract clauses. For example, Pettersson has a European assignment clause in his Canucks deal which means he can go back to Europe if they try to send him down.

The Swedish tweet on the last page makes it sound like Sandin doesn't have that clause, but yeah I didn't realize what you meant with the Rogle having a say. It's possible they do have a say if he's sent to the CHL because technically he was there on Rogle's loan to them initially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad