Confirmed with Link: TOR signs LD Mikko Lehtonen

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Lehtonen can play on the right side. He was on my target list but I never expected the Leafs to land him.

He will 100% be in the NHL next year. The question is who he is bumping out of the lineup: Sandin, Dermott or Liljegren. I would think he is going to compete with Sandin and Liljegren, resulting in one of them heading down to the AHL. He played a lot of RD in the KHL and Liiga, so he can easily play both sides, and he could replace Barrie as a PP guy. However he may make more sense in the Sandin spot.

At least the Leafs have options now. They do not need to try and force things anymore. He may not play 20+ minutes a night, but Lehtonen will probably handle 18-19 minutes right away and then like Barabanov, move on for his payday when he/if earns it.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
They're not stupid enough. That's a dreadful idea.
Dreadful without knowing return. Reasonable.....

I agree it would have to be pretty damn good return though. But with Dermott Muzz and Sandin....our left isn’t terrible. Reilly for a stud Righty and this new fella on the right?

meh just miss hockey

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
By the way, is our new (others are jelious of us that we got him) guy able to play this season already when he flies to toronto no? This that real interesthang part mayne.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
If cap stays same or doesn’t go up, having this fella, Sandin and Lily as cheap D men will be pretty valuable.

Reactions: smitty10

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Definitely something that Dubas deserves credit for is being able to keep bringing in cheap players who can contribute. With the way the cap space is allocated that's such an important part of his job, and he's killing it. Depending on how good he is, it also creates room for him to make other moves to bolster an area of weakness

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

I agree it would have to be pretty damn good return though. But with Dermott Muzz and Sandin....our left isn’t terrible. Reilly for a stud Righty and this new fella on the right?

meh just miss hockey
Rielly's at worst a top 20 defenseman, and last season he was a top 10 guy. Good luck upgrading him on him.

Additionally, muzzin, dermott and sandin on the left isn't as good as you're making it out to be imo. Muzzin is a #3, Dermott a #5 and sandin is relatively unknown.

Also missing hockey man! All the best to you.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Can we talk about the important things though?

This guy is 6'0 and 200lbs bang on. Literally everyone should be happy about that:laugh:

He's not a fridge that can't skate, and not a midget that can't hit.

Reactions: smitty10

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Rielly's at worst a top 20 defenseman, and last season he was a top 10 guy. Good luck upgrading him on him.

Additionally, muzzin, dermott and sandin on the left isn't as good as you're making it out to be imo. Muzzin is a #3, Dermott a #5 and sandin is relatively unknown.

Just a note Muzzy won a Cup playing as a #2. He is a little better than you give him credit. And Rielly while very good is not a top 10 guy today. But I think he can be next year. Either way they are by far our 2 best defense. And we can't be trading either.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
While this scenario is more ideal, I feel the organization has Sandin well ahead of Liljegren.

They may but if we can keep him with the marlies playing 20 mins a night while Lehtonen it’s going to help his development. Liljegren has nothing left to prove at the AHL, he either proves he is an NHL player or not.

Dermott holds a decent amount of trade value. Package him up with another player or pick and get a first pairing RHD.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

If Rielly returns Parayko for example, maybe you make that deal? With Dermott, Sandin and now Lehtonen, moving the puck from the left side is a lot less of a need.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
I doubt they are going to throw a player who has never played in North America ditectly onto the first pairing.

I'm starting to think we will see Holl on the top pairing with Rielly as a stay at home guy and Dermott getting mentored by Muzzin on the 2nd pairing. May even see Lily starting the year in the AHL or something with this new signing

Or call Muzzin and Holl our top pair...problem solved

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Standard 1 year ELC
So a little less than 1 million and around 400k after taxes, pension and agent?

If that true then wow, his release clause was rumoured to be something between 500k-1mil.

So basically he is paying to play hockey next year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

meh just miss hockey

He could play RD, but the Leafs may decide to send Sandin down to the AHL for a little bit more seasoning too. It will likely come down to camp, where Rielly, Lehtonen, Dermott, Liljegren and possibly even Sandin all receive reps on the right side and the Leafs see who does the best.

One indicator of the Leafs' eventual direction could be deciding what they are going to do with Teemu Kivihalme. I have been saying he is a non-tender (or depth swap) candidate for a few months now, but if the Leafs decide to keep him as NHL insurance/a top 4 LD for the Marlies, that likely means Liljegren is sent down to fill the void. However if they non-tender/trade him, then Sandin could be the one getting sent down.

I will go on record saying it is probably not the worst ideal for Sandin to get some more time in the AHL. We have the LD depth now to accommodate it, and he has things to learn at the AHL level.

Reactions: stickty111

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
If Rielly returns Parayko for example, maybe you make that deal? With Dermott, Sandin and now Lehtonen, moving the puck from the left side is a lot less of a need.
Parayko is one of few guys that would make me think about it. I wouldn't do 1 for 1 though.

It's all moot though, because St Louis would never doing that, having to re-sign Pietro this year, no way they could afford Rielly next year.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Cool. Always like these signings. Will have to see how he fares against NHL competition before figuring out where he fits.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I will go on record saying it is probably not the worst ideal for Sandin to get some more time in the AHL. We have the LD depth now to accommodate it, and he has things to learn at the AHL level.

Sending both down wouldn't be the end of the world for their development, and having them in the minors with a strong top 6 ahead of them makes us a much more robust team.

Reactions: Hclass47
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->