Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Anyone that thinks Lou or any other GM would do any better is delirious. These agents and players have a number in mind, if the team wont meet it, they will just sit. Dubas has no leverage what-so-ever, he basically needs to meet the price or trade him.

And trade him for what exactly? People have no clue, they somehow expected Matthews to cut the Leafs a break, not happening. Sit tight, cause Marner is going to be just as bad.

Trade him to Arizona for CK, OEL, POJ, Hayton, 5 1sts.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
right calculated risk, but at the time they weren't worth those contracts yeah?. thanks

I don't need a snkickers man im so calm and feeling real good right now, because I don't see this as a deal to whinge about. On the other hand snickers are just plain delicious so maybe I will have one

Well at least we agree Snickers rocks.:laugh:

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I am not mad at Matty. I am happy for him that he got his money. But I do think a rookie GM is getting schooled here. And I think he will get schooled again by Marner. But where does it stop?

Do you honestly think he will say look guys that's it I'm done overpaying a mil per. OK Kappy the buck stops here with you. Sorry no gravy train for you. I have to screw you over to pay for my 3 overpays? Does he even have it in him? He smiles a lot and has a decent handshake but I wonder now. I think everyone else on team and in minors now thinks they are going to get theirs too.

Absolutely this is the way Dubas needs to think.

You never regret paying your elite star players. Mistakes are made when you pay average and above average players more than they’re worth.

91,34,16 and 29 fall in this category.

Names like Kapanen, Johnsson etc are support players. They don’t have the same importance and therefore bargaining power. It’s far more reasonable to try and penny pinch them than your big boys.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nylander is off he hook now.

Dubas is a rookie. Fleeced again.

We need to improve this team to beat Tampa and we won't have the money.
Tampa is f******. I know that for a fact. This is their last Cup run. Point wants 12M per next year and Vasy he said he wants to be paid as top goalie in the league the following year. They are finished.

Mar 26, 2010
COMPLETE FAILURE.

Dubas needs to be fired. He had one job and he ****ed it up royally.
Dubas is f***ing up everything. He failed on the Nylander contact and just ate shit on the Matthews contract. He just let Matthews walk free at 26 years old!!!!! Unreal.

#firedubas

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
Why is it acceptable that the Edmonton ****ing Oilers got the best player on Earth to take a discount for 8 years and we cannot get Auston Matthews to take a cap-friendly deal even for 5?

Peter Chiarelli out-negotiated Kyle Dubas. Think about that. The same guy that signed Lucic, Kris Russell, etc., moved out the picks that turned into Barzal for Griffin Reinhart, and willingly traded for Brandon ****ing Manning. That guy.

Yeah, I dont really care about the opinions about who out negotiated who, because that's not how the world works. You are not in the rooms, you have 0 insight to what was said behind closed doors and how the negotiations went. McDavid could have easily told his manager that 12.5 gets it done this second, and the Oilers obliged. You're acting like Chiarelli put the screws to McDavid and he caved.

Leafs are in a much more difficult position then the Oilers anyways. We couldn't afford to let both Matthews + Marners contract negotiations go into the summer when we are trying to build a cup winning team.

The contract isn't fantastic, but the 1st RFA contract is the new UFA contract for star players. Watch what happens with Tampa and Point this summer.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm not a huge fan of the Matthews deal and I do understand the disappointment by fans that Auston didn't take less, however, it's well known that McDavid insisted on taking less money to help Chiarelli build a team around him. So lets not go overboard here and claim Chiarelli out-negotiated anyone, he was given a gift and accepted it.

And look what he did with it? You can kinda see why the next guy wouldnt want to take a haircut so the boss could trade for the guy who broke your arm

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Well hopefully other teams have to overpay their star players now, because if they don’t we just handicapped ourselves.

Gave out the 2nd highest aav in the league and couldn’t get 7 years at least.

You know already. Dubas got fleeced. By every possible yardstick.

The numbers don't add up.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Terrible contact. I thought him taking 5 years instead of 8 would lower the AAV. Marners gauranteed to make 10mil + now.

Our window is literally 2-3 years before we end up losing good players to UFA and having a stars and scrubs team like the current Blackhawks

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
If he had signed 11.6 x 8 instead of 11.6 x 5, nothing changes these next 5 years. Year 6+ is where things look different. Hard to say how the team or the landscape of the league will look in 6 years with a new CBA coming.

I'm down for signing Marner for 6 years to keep the cap lower. Buying UFA years doesn't seem worth it anymore.
I think we'll see a bunch of RFAs signing 5-6 deals this summer.

I'm not thrilled with the Matthews contract, but an 11.6 cap doesn't hamper our chances of winning a cup in the next 6 years.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
Dont care how much they pay the players. I want a cup. End of story. And I think this team with the addition of muzzin can do it within the next 5 years.
What have you seen that gives you the confidence we can beat Tampa and/or Boston in the playoffs? We're paying way more than them for our talent...AND our talent is probably inferior.

Reactions: OmniCube

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Hopefully if he doesnt re-sign at the first chance they'll move him for a boatload to fill in around JT/Marner/Nylander/Kapanen/Rielly/Dermott/Sandin/Lily

Edit: and there is a no-move clause.

Wow. He's set up to either leave for a massive pay-day or hold TO over the barrel.

I see a lot of people being dramatic but they have a point...WTF is Dubas doing?

Last edited:

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Is that how it works? Where you live, or where you earned it, which would be toronto?
Evidently signing bonuses can be taxed where you live assuming you have lived there for X percentage of the year (not sure what X is).

Pretty sure Burns doesnt get taxed using Californian tax laws because he lives somewhere else for the minimum amount of time.

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
you do know you didn't answer my question.
again. everyone on Tampa left a little less on the table. period.
so according to your statement, they either aren't worth marketvalue, or saints for doing so

Jack Eichel got 10m for max years and every single person here thought it was an overpayment and went LOL, Buffalo
Auston Matthews gets 11.63 for five and everyone is like, wooo. hooo that's awesome. gotta pay our stars.

Everyone in Tampa can take a little less period because at the end of the day there take home earnings is a lot higher than in a higher tax state/province, ie. Stamko's contract in Toronto would be equivalent to 12.4M (link). It's simple math and logic, no one is leaving money on the table.

Market value is determine by the agent and GM, personally I don't think Eichel is in Matthews league.
I'm pretty sure 30/30 GMs in the league that isn't Buffalo would not trade Matthews for Eichel straight up.

If you think that Matthews is in Eichel's league and should have the same market value than sure, market value for Matthews is skewed.

Overall, my point is i don't expect any of the core guys to take home town discounts to be leafs, i didn't expect it from willy, i don't expect it from Matthews and I dont' expect it from Marner. Just to tether expectations.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What have you seen that gives you the confidence we can beat Tampa and/or Boston in the playoffs? We're paying way more than them for our talent...AND our talent is probably inferior.

The Leafs are currently well ahead of Boston in the standings. And President's trophy winners almost never win the cup.

But yeah, totally impossible. :rolleyes:

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Evidently signing bonuses can be taxed where you live assuming you have lived there for X percentage of the year (not sure what X is).

Pretty sure Burns doesnt get taxed using Californian tax laws because he lives somewhere else for the minimum amount of time.

Huh? thats new to me..... So wow, he really got a deal then......

Like I said, I wanted 11 x 6..... This is more that I expected on 5. But you deal with it as is

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario

Tampa:
Leafs have better offense
Not too far back of Defense
Close on Goaltending

Boston:
Leafs have better offense
Close on Defense
Leafs have better Goaltending

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events