Confirmed with Link: TOR signs Auston Matthews to 5 year extension, 11.634M AAV, 93% Paid In Bonuses

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Remember when Dubas went to them and said we want JT but you guys will have to take less and they all agreed?

Yeah, if asking for damn near league max is taking less then I don't know what to say. So far 2/3 have milked the team.

Nylander ended up well within multiple comparables on the same term AND exactly where predictive models placed him in term and money. This one is tougher from what I can tell

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Matthews clearly wanted big boy money, and to be paid as the best player in the league. I hope he realizes that with a contract like that there is going to be an enormity of expectations, and it will be a lot hotter in the kitchen for him when things don't go well. He literally just realigned our cap structure in a bad way. Is he $6.634 mil AAV more valuable than Rielly, etc. This team better win a cup within those 5 years, because this contract and the cap fall out (not being able to surround them with players) could limit our window and ability to contend.

Imagine the fans and media when he goes through another 2 month stretch like he just did? Imagine when he puts up 2 points in a playoff series again?

He's going to get absolutely roasted alive here. He will be driven out of town with this deal.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I don't get people trying to rationalize this deal with comparison of other 7-8 deals. The cap hit is not comparable! What are the caps hits of players signed to 5 year deals....
I showed that earlier. You have Crosby at much higher, Malkin and Kovalchuk a step up, then there's guys like Vanek, Stamkos, Kane, Toews etc a bit further down.

It's not a great deal if you look at those comparables, but it is rather close to appropriate.

Imagine the fans and media when he goes through another 2 month stretch like he just did? Imagine when he puts up 2 points in a playoff series again?

He's going to get absolutely roasted alive here. He will be driven out of town with this deal.
Yes, if we imagine horrible stuff, things won't look rosy at all. Shocker.

Reactions: Menzinger

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Yes, Lou, ****ed that up, by taking a calculated risk on a player with upside and seeing it payoff. He also ****ed up by signing an unproven backup goalie to 5M over 5 years. So despite both moves working out for him like a dream they were terrible moves in your eyes because reasons. I think you need a snickers break. lol
he also gambled on Zaitsev and Marleau and lost. There was no gambling with Matthews and hoping for a good deal. the options were to pay him a lot of money or lose him

Reactions: Mitchy

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I am not mad at Matty. I am happy for him that he got his money. But I do think a rookie GM is getting schooled here. And I think he will get schooled again by Marner. But where does it stop?

Do you honestly think he will say look guys that's it I'm done overpaying a mil per. OK Kappy the buck stops here with you. Sorry no gravy train for you. I have to screw you over to pay for my 3 overpays? Does he even have it in him? He smiles a lot and has a decent handshake but I wonder now. I think everyone else on team and in minors now thinks they are going to get theirs too.

Reactions: dsred

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't know I just don't really see why that's a big problem. We've signed Tavares/Nylander/Matthews/SoonMarner all within a calender year of each other and it's fine. Don't see a reason why it will be a catastrophe in the future either.

Because this time they all can leave? Thats a pretty big problem from what I can see. Kinda Huge.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Why is it acceptable that the Edmonton ****ing Oilers got the best player on Earth to take a discount for 8 years and we cannot get Auston Matthews to take a cap-friendly deal even for 5?
Peter Chiarelli out-negotiated Kyle Dubas.

There's no "out negotiating" involved. McDavid was willing to take less, Matthews wasn't. They were both in a "name your price" scenario.

Based on the Crosby comparable McDavid would have been justified at 13+x5 on a smaller cap.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our Leafs ARE NOT winning the cup any time soon after next season with these over paid prima donnas! There will be ABSOLUTELY no CAP ROOM to pay any decent support players!

Nylander did not earn a 80 point 30 goal contract and got one anyway!

Matthews did not earn a 100 point 50 goal contract and got one anyway!

They better win the cup THIS SEASON as there is no way our Leafs will be able to afford any decent supporting cast of players starting next season!

Kapanen and Johnsson might as well pack their bags now. There's no money left over for them to be paid a reasonable amount! Bye bye to Jake Gardiner too.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Well hopefully other teams have to overpay their star players now, because if they don’t we just handicapped ourselves.

Gave out the 2nd highest aav in the league and couldn’t get 7 years at least.

FlyingLeafus

But what about the playoffs?
Jan 4, 2009
Milton
He needs to up his game to be worth this new contract. I think he can do it but if he fails it will start to get ugly when we are forced to shed his linemates and replace them with scrubs.

Reactions: Al14

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I was a supporter of Dubas until the VERY SECOND the Nylander overpayment was announced. I said he could get redemptionnon the Matthews deal, but this is one of the worst contracts in the nhl.

Worst contract in the NHL....

and there goes your credibility.

Thank god you do not work for the Leafs.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I swear it was just yesterday that people were mocking me for thinking matthews would sign for ~11m.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
he also gambled on Zaitsev and Marleau and lost. There was no gambling with Matthews and hoping for a good deal. the options were to pay him a lot of money or lose him

He definitely lost with Zaitsev, though 4.5M is somewhat palatable. The Marleau contract is a different species of signing though. That was not a gamble on upside, that was just a win-now, we got cap space overpay move by at least a year and 1M.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yes, Lou, ****ed that up, by taking a calculated risk on a player with upside and seeing it payoff. He also ****ed up by signing an unproven backup goalie to 5M over 5 years. So despite both moves working out for him like a dream they were terrible moves in your eyes because reasons. I think you need a snickers break. lol

right calculated risk, but at the time they weren't worth those contracts yeah?. thanks

I don't need a snkickers man im so calm and feeling real good right now, because I don't see this as a deal to whinge about. On the other hand snickers are just plain delicious so maybe I will have one

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Why is it acceptable that the Edmonton ****ing Oilers got the best player on Earth to take a discount for 8 years and we cannot get Auston Matthews to take a cap-friendly deal even for 5?

Peter Chiarelli out-negotiated Kyle Dubas. Think about that. The same guy that signed Lucic, Kris Russell, etc., moved out the picks that turned into Barzal for Griffin Reinhart, and willingly traded for Brandon ****ing Manning. That guy.

I'm not a huge fan of the Matthews deal and I do understand the disappointment by fans that Auston didn't take less, however, it's well known that McDavid insisted on taking less money to help Chiarelli build a team around him. So lets not go overboard here and claim Chiarelli out-negotiated anyone, he was given a gift and accepted it.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
Dont care how much they pay the players. I want a cup. End of story. And I think this team with the addition of muzzin can do it within the next 5 years. I have a feeling he'll sign marner to 8. Stagger out the contracts.

Reactions: Mork and Erdinger

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Jesus! With the way he’s played the last two months, I can’t believe he still believes he was worth this much.

Matthews better score 50 goals this year and take us deep year in the playoffs, otherwise it’ll be a miserable 5 years for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->