Confirmed with Link: TOR sign F Rodion Amirov to ELC [Starts 2021-22]

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Glad he survived trade deadline and we have him signed. Let him grow to full size in the KHL, ripen in the AHL and break through in a few years when we're out of Top 6 wingers :)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m guessing the KHL route would be kept open if the North American sports scene is still a mess next season. I have a feeling that Amirov might end up having a more pro skillset than Robertson so he’s a critically important prospect.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

Perfect case scenario for his development, IMO.

Come over to end this season to get a taste/acquainted to the North American game, plus familiarize himself with the Leafs/Marlies coaching staff.

Only issue is I hope he has a bigger role in UFA next season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Come over to end this season to get a taste/acquainted to the North American game, plus familiarize himself with the Leafs/Marlies coaching staff.

Once he’s in Leaf possession it will be easier to decide if the KHL makes more sense or less sense.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Keefe should give Amirov and another marlie hopefuls 2-3 games down the stretch.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He isn't burning any years until 2022/23, which is good. He slides next season.

Where's you source for that, because this is what the CBA says

In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be extended for a period of one (1) year, except that this automatic extension will not apply to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September 16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC.

Amirov is 19 right now but turns 20 this year on October 2nd. The "year in which he first signs an SPC" refers to calender year not season. Thus he turns 20 the same year he signs the SPC so he's not eligible for the contract slide. This is verified by CapFriendly on his page not having a slide eligible tag, and it shows his ELC signing age as 20 per the rule above.

An easy rule of thumb for people who track the WJC is if a player is not WJC eligible(turns 20 before the new year of that WJC), they have to sign their ELC in the same calender year as they were drafted at 18 years old. Amirov is not eligible for next years WJC as he'll be 20 in October. Dermott for example was another late birthday like Amirov, but because he signed his ELC in July shortly after being drafted he was eligible for the slide for both his 18 and 19 year old seasons. Amirov didn't have an ELC in his D+1, and because he turns 20 before Jan 1st 2022 and didn't sign before January 1st 2021 he's not eligible for the D+2 slide.

Unless there's some Russia related loan rule I'm not aware of Amirov's contract will not slide.

The slide would only have been the difference of ~30k. No big deal.

I'm thinking more his ELC is up sooner so he's more expensive in his D+5, but perhaps less expensive in his D+6 and forward because his 2nd contract will be signed when he's less proven. Rather than the marginal 30k savings on the ELC because of the slide

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Where's you source for that, because this is what the CBA says

Amirov is 19 right now but turns 20 this year on October 2nd. The "year in which he first signs an SPC" refers to calender year not season. Thus he turns 20 the same year he signs the SPC so he's not eligible for the contract slide. This is verified by CapFriendly on his page not having a slide eligible tag, and it shows his ELC signing age as 20 per the rule above.

An easy rule of thumb for people who track the WJC is if a player is not WJC eligible(turns 20 before the new year of that WJC), they have to sign their ELC in the same calender year as they were drafted at 18 years old. Amirov is not eligible for next years WJC as he'll be 20 in October. Dermott for example was another late birthday like Amirov, but because he signed his ELC in July shortly after being drafted he was eligible for the slide for both his 18 and 19 year old seasons. Amirov didn't have an ELC in his D+1, and because he turns 20 before Jan 1st 2022 and didn't sign before January 1st 2021 he's not eligible for the D+2 slide.

Unless there's some Russia related loan rule I'm not aware of Amirov's contract will not slide.

I'm thinking more his ELC is up sooner so he's more expensive in his D+5, but perhaps less expensive in his D+6 and forward because his 2nd contract will be signed when he's less proven.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of the 19 year old rule but turning 20 before Dec. 31.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Interesting, I wasn't aware of the 19 year old rule but turning 20 before Dec. 31.

I don't really get it because a player like Dermott's situation has aged out of junior and plays their rookie AHL year but still slides, but only if they sign within 6 months of bring drafted. They're a pro player now, they shouldn't get to slide like a junior player IMO but it is what it is. I guess it's to even out the entire draft class to be potentially slide eligible, but it's never going to be perfect.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I don't really get it because a player like Dermott's situation has aged out of junior and plays their rookie AHL year but still slides, but only if they sign within 6 months of bring drafted. They're a pro player now, they shouldn't get to slide like a junior player IMO but it is what it is. I guess it's to even out the entire draft class to be potentially slide eligible, but it's never going to be perfect.

The only legitimate reason for the slide rule that I can think of is that a material number of GM's championed the idea that they should get a combined 5 years of evaluation+ELC control for all CHL players regardless of when they become AHL eligible.

The birthday based inequity in the NHL really is stark through. Q4's get roped into an extra ELC year PLUS an extra RFA year vs. Q1 and 2.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
So if Ufa decides to play him 8 minutes a game or sit him again the Leafs can simply bring him over to play for the Marlies now right?

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
Good player from what I’ve seen. Good work ethic / skill combination.
Don’t know much about the person. Hopefully his goal is the nhl. A lot of young kids out of Russia are content playing at home these days.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
So if Ufa decides to play him 8 minutes a game or sit him again the Leafs can simply bring him over to play for the Marlies now right?

Depends what was agreed upon.

Salavat's GM just stated they were part of the negotiation process and Amirov will spend the entirety of next season in the KHL.

It cooresponds to a lengthy interview Amirov recently gave where he said he was in negotiations with Salavat and had a big ear open to staying at home to develop.

Smart kid.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

With him being on loan, we'll have more control over that.
If they don't play him, we rescind the loan.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not surprised, glad he's signed. He's been a fun player to watch since drafted. Hopefully he turns out. He would be amazing with the talent on team if it all pans out.

Glad to have you Amirov.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Depends what was agreed upon.

Salavat's GM just stated they were part of the negotiation process and Amirov will spend the entirety of next season in the KHL.

It cooresponds to a lengthy interview Amirov recently gave where he said he was in negotiations with Salavat and had a big ear open to staying at home to develop.

Smart kid.

Link to the interview?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Very nice to see. He's probably still got quite the development path before him, but nonetheless probably for the best the Leafs can play a more direct role in it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->