Confirmed with Link: 2021 Signing NOT 2022 Yet - TOR signed F Ondrej Kase [1 year, 1.25M]

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Hopefully he doesn’t turn out to be a Lupul. A piece of glass but dynamite when healthy.

The best case scenario is if Kase pulled a Crosby and never got a concussion again in his career but if he's going to continue to have health issues the next best scenario is if he's productive when healthy. This is a "distressed asset" as they call them these days.

Reactions: Its not your fault

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
But he's right. Ltir locks in your cap. That means you can't accrue any wiggle room for the deadline.

leafs were smack dab on the cap limit all year but still managed to accrue enough space to make deals for big salaries. They couldn't have done that if a guy was on ltir all year.

And to do that for a $1.25m player? Makes no sense.

This could only have been a Mess idea.
Let alone a guy who’s barely played for a year.

Reactions: Gallagbi

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Really hoping Kase pans out. If he can stay relatively healthy, he would be a huge boost on our third line and secondary scoring.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
The best case scenario is if Kase pulled a Crosby and never got a concussion again in his career but if he's going to continue to have health issues the next best scenario is if he's productive when healthy. This is a "distressed asset" as they call them these days.

I learned in one of my undergrad courses that there was a huge case study done on Crosby and it wasnt actually concussions but a neck injury and pinched cervical nerve that manifested as concussion like symptoms.

Bell: Crosby's injury no simple matter

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
A bit of an update on Kase and his health. Sounds like he's doing really well and there was a lot of interest to sign him.

Mirtle Mailbag: Could the Maple Leafs miss the playoffs? Will fans be back in full? And new contracts for Morgan Rielly, Jack Campbell?

I’m told Kase has been skating for five weeks now and is fully cleared from the concussions that have plagued him in recent years. And his close friendship with David Kampf, the Leafs’ new 3C, was a huge factor in his decision to come to Toronto.

They could connect on an effective new line. (So many possibilities for Czech-themed puns.) Or Kase could impress higher up the depth chart, which was a motivating factor for him choosing the Leafs over 10 other suitors in free agency. He wants a chance to play with the big guns.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Bruins fan coming in peace.

I was pumped when Kase came to the Bruins. Would have been 100% ok giving him the deal he got.

He's an aggressive back checker, has some solid skills but skates with his head down and honestly in his what, 20-30? games with the Bruins I've never seen someone get crushed by a big, clean hit so often.

Hope he stays healthy and gets out of the injury funk cuz no one likes injuries to solid players

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t even know this guy much other than he was pretty good before he turned in to a head Kase. Not sure this guy will be anything but a LTIR quick. I have a hard time relying on him to be in the lineup regularly.
Thats mean calling him a head kase. I hope he never has another headache in his life. The guy isn’t scared to cut to the middle and definitely is not scared of the rough going to the net. He better start protecting himself more with that style. He has to play nasty to protect himself . He’s got a little Glen Andersen in him the way he goes to the net.

Yeah,and thats all i know about him.

Last edited:

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I don’t even know this guy much other than he was pretty good before he turned in to a head Kase. Not sure this guy will be anything but a LTIR quick. I have a hard time relying on him to be in the lineup regularly.
Thats mean calling him a head kase. I hope he never has another headache in his life. The guy isn’t scared to cut to the middle and definitely is not scared of the rough going to the net. He better start protecting himself more with that style. He has to play nasty to protect himself . He’s got a little Glen Andersen in him the way he goes to the net.

Yeah,and thats all i know about him.

Head case, glass vase, humpty dumpty, whatever...i'm hoping he could become the Frankenstein monster for the Leafs.

Reactions: saltming

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
We first have to hope he gets healthy and gets back on the ice before we worry about if he can stay there.

Boston acquired him at the 2020 Trade deadline .. He only played in 6 games before going down with a concussion and it resulted in him missing the rest of the regular season and all 14 Boston playoff games.

The following season after having months to recover further he only made it to game #3 of the 2020-21, where again he took a hit and left with a concussion and this time it took him out for 53 regulation games thereafter and when he attempted to come back for the playoffs he had a setback and shutdown for the year and missed all of Bostons 11 playoff games again. So 65 regulation games + 24 playoff games = 89 missed games of his teams last 98 games.

The last time Kase scored an NHL goal was Jan 4th 2020 (while still with Anaheim) and in fact that is only goal in all of 2020 and 2021 so far. Most of that is not his fault but because of injury as he only dressed for 9 NHL games from the trade deadline of 2020 until today. He never scored a goal in a Bruins uniform. His most recent NHL goal was 544 days ago and counting.

With now 5 documented concussions and still recovering from the last one, his return to ice is still unknown and I guess we will have to wait until Leafs training camp to see his updated injury status.

Lets hope for a healthy recovery.. He is a talented player when healthy and could be a factor, but lots of unanswered questions at the moment.
This guy needs to go the same route as Ferland and walk away. The script the last 2 seasons reads just like Ferlands.
Couldn't Dubas have used the money elsewhere instead? I know if he doesn't play it can be LTIR but in the meantime that cap is spent.

Reactions: fahad203

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
This guy needs to go the same route as Ferland and walk away. The script the last 2 seasons reads just like Ferlands.
Couldn't Dubas have used the money elsewhere instead? I know if he doesn't play it can be LTIR but in the meantime that cap is spent.

you can be above the cap before the season starts which we are now anyways so its a mute point.

i think its an incredible low risk gamble that can turn out to be gangbusters, and one of the best signings for the leafs in recent memory.
also like you said if hes hurt, who cares its LTIR space, and if he sucks its a 125k buried contract... i really dont see the big deal

Reactions: teddygmr

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
you can be above the cap before the season starts which we are now anyways so its a mute point.

i think its an incredible low risk gamble that can turn out to be gangbusters, and one of the best signings for the leafs in recent memory.
also like you said if hes hurt, who cares its LTIR space, and if he sucks its a 125k buried contract... i really dont see the big deal

Yeah, the move has little risk and amounts to a gamble on a guy who can give you middle six upside.

Reactions: banks

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
It's a no risk, high reward move.

I think a lot of people are underestimating Kase. Before the injury issues he was becoming a 20 goal 50 point threat. His ice time was rising with Anaheim, and he was getting about 3 shots on goal per game.

We don't even need him to jump right back on that curve. Just get some healthy games in and he'll be a steal for 1.25 million.

But if he does get back on track, then watch out. Copp just got 3.something million. Jost got 2. Barbashev got 2.25 mill. They're comparables, if Kase is healthy again.

Reactions: Tarmore

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I learned in one of my undergrad courses that there was a huge case study done on Crosby and it wasnt actually concussions but a neck injury and pinched cervical nerve that manifested as concussion like symptoms.

Bell: Crosby's injury no simple matter

Yep and it was Tom Brady that recommended to Crosby that he go see the Dr. that diagnosed Crosby's real issue. Is there anything Tom cant do?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I hope he stay's healthy on a personal level, forget about hockey.

This is a guy's health we are talking about here....

With 5 documented concussions this guy really should consider quality of life and seriously considering retirement from the sport.

He apparently pondered it seriously but perhaps he wants 1 more chance but his his next concussion is likely his last. IMO

Brain injuries are serious things and concussions are compounded with each one adding to the damage of the last and become more susceptible to the next one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->