Trade: [TOR/SF] Kevin Pillar for Alex Hanson, Derek Law, and Juan De Paula

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
So the Jays cleared a spot for Alford?

I would have kept him in AAA until he actually hit at a good clip down there, which was not the case last season.

Connorrhea

Sep 17, 2005
Pillar was an exciting CF to watch for a few years, but he doesn't hit , doesn't get on base (career.297 on base yikes!) and likes to swing at the first pitch, while this rebuild is going on.....it's mind boggling to me how this organization still has Devon Travis!!

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Good trade. As mentioned, Pillar was good for a few highlight-reel diving catches every season, but not much else. Here's hoping the Giants enjoy his contributions, at any rate. Might be a better fit over there.

And I, too, am not sure why they haven't yet given up on Devon Travis. Kid has knees made out of straw. :laugh:

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Pillar Fielding runs above Average

2015: 22
2016: 21
2017: 15
2018: -2

Let's see if 2018 was an anomaly or if his defense is actually sharply declining. If so, who knows how valuable this guy even is anymore, as most of his value came from elite defense at a premium position. Always a below average offensive player who could hit the occasional big home run, but that's about it.

5 Win player back in 2015....looked like a big part of perenial powerhouse Jays team...how quick things change.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Pillar Fielding runs above Average

2015: 22
2016: 21
2017: 15
2018: -2

Let's see if 2018 was an anomaly or if his defense is actually sharply declining. If so, who knows how valuable this guy even is anymore. Always a below average offensive player who could hit the occasional big home run, but that's about it.

5 Win player back in 2015....looked like a big part of contending Jays team...how quick things change.

Not much left from that roster.....as far as position players I think all that's left is Justin Smoak, as well as Devon Travis but he's barely functional at this point.

Dalton Pompey's another one but he's almost as brittle as Travis....haven't seen much.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Not much left from that roster.....as far as position players I think all that's left is Justin Smoak, as well as Devon Travis but he's barely functional at this point.

Dalton Pompey's another one but he's almost as brittle as Travis....haven't seen much.

2017 Ottawa Senators level teardown

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
The Blue Jays are merely just clearing up spots for the kids who are ready. Alford will be up in CF sooner rather than later (I would not be surprised to see him get some more AAA at-bats and Brito play CF for the time being). It is bittersweet to see Pillar go, I have been quite vocal about wanting him moved for a while, but it was just to maximize his value and open a spot for Alford. He was a huge part of those 2015/2016 teams and gave the Blue Jays some of the best catches in their history. However, with that said, his defense slipped last year and his style of play will likely not age well, not to mention his lack of a bat. I wish him the best in San Francisco, but if his defense is truly declining, it could get ugly quick for him.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Pillar was one of the guys who made it exciting to be a Jays fan again in 15/16. Things have changed in a hurry since then so I'm happy with this move. Wish him the best tho.

Do any of the players they got for him have much potential?

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Pillar was one of the guys who made it exciting to be a Jays fan again in 15/16. Things have changed in a hurry since then so I'm happy with this move. Wish him the best tho.

Do any of the players they got for him have much potential?

You already know the answer. Would Kevin Pillar really be traded for anyone who has 'much potential'?

Law is a 28 year old reliever who had a 5.68 ERA last 2 years and only threw 50 innings in the bigs. Hanson is a 26 year old with a negative WAR in 250 games played and was DFA'd prior to the trade.

The De Paula kid apparently has nasty stuff but is very raw and can't repeat his delivery and throw strikes, plus he's in his 4th organization already at only 21.

So it looks like two garbage parts and a lotto ticket to me.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
You already know the answer. Would Kevin Pillar really be traded for anyone who has 'much potential'?

Law is a 28 year old reliever who had a 5.68 ERA last 2 years and only threw 50 innings in the bigs. Hanson is a 26 year old with a negative WAR in 250 games played and was DFA'd prior to the trade.

The De Paula kid apparently has nasty stuff but is very raw and can't repeat his delivery and throw strikes, plus he's in his 4th organization already at only 21.

So it looks like two garbage parts and a lotto ticket to me.
That's what I figured. I looked up De Paula's stats and their pretty decent. Definitely a long shot to ever help out the big club tho.

Reactions: Golden Puppers

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Pillar is terrible. Just clearing a roster spot for him is a win. Happy to run with this OF of Grichuk, Teo, McKinney, and Alford.

Hopefully Smoak has another good year and we can trade him for some pitching.

Poster man

May 5, 2015
Ontario
With 10,450 fans Monday night who would want to play in TO.
Just the start for dealing vets out. Kevin will do better in SanFran.
These 2 clowns in the front office are all about saving a buck.
Great point, why keep Travis around? Move on. Hope Charlie can wait out the fire sale.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Great point, why keep Travis around? Move on. Hope Charlie can wait out the fire sale.

You seem like a well informed, reasonable poster.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I don't understand this trade from the Giants point of view at all. Don't they have a young CF that they wanted to develop?

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
I don't understand this trade from the Giants point of view at all. Don't they have a young CF that they wanted to develop?

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/g...give-giants-one-mlbs-best-defensive-outfields

"Bochy said the 30-year-old will be in right field. The plan for now is for Pillar to play all three spots, but he will not play center field when Steven Duggar is in the lineup, and most of Pillar's at-bats will come from guys like Connor Joe and Yangervis Solarte, not Duggar."

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Sadly, this has become a trend with Shatkins. Trading a player far too late to maximize their value. This should have happened a year ago. Of course, they wouldn't have made a killing, but they would have received more considering Pillar was one year younger with one more year of control and a slightly better player. Instead the management of the Jays made a disengeneous claim of wanting to compete coming off a disappointing 2017 season without making any moves that suggested a serious attempt was being made for a playoff spot.

The result is terrible returns for the likes of Pillar and Donaldson. If Sanchez and Stroman are not healthy and pitch well, the terrible returns (or lack thereof) will continue. Don't necessarily agree with trading Sanchez should he pitch well given the terrible pitching prospect pool in the minors (not a realistic good #2 or #1 in the mid to upper minors), but the rumours are quite loud.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Pillar was just the start? Are you sure?

He was one of the few vets they had left from those playoff rosters. :laugh:

And I don't blame the Jays' woes on Shapiro and Atkins. Sure there have been some missteps with regards to cutting ties with other players but I don't even think the best management team in baseball could turn this year's Jays into contenders. Gonna be a while, and Pillar was an asset in decline.

Again, zero issue with the move.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Giants sucks. Almost bad as ORIOLES.

Pillar, Shark, Parra, Longoria, Melancon, Sandoval, Dyson, Holland, Pomeranz... Is this 2014? What's the point of so much washed up players when they are bottom 5 team in the league. Meh prospect pool, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad