Trade: [TOR/SD] Yangervis Solarte for Edward Olivares and Jared Carkuff

GuitarGuy

Oct 3, 2017
Canada
So the Jays gave up a 21yr old propsect (Olivares) who hit 17 homers last season in A-ball who seems to have good power for a 30yr old who is soon to be on the decline who hit 18 homers last season. Interesting. I would have kept that prospect.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Hopefully he can stay healthier than Goins ever could.
This isn’t even about the health of Goins. It’s about replacing Goins who is one of the worst players in baseball and has generally seen significant playing time given the health concerns of Travis and Tulowitzki.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yeah, i dunno. I guess this is fine. Maybe the prospect is something maybe not. The Jays needed better infield options and they've done that. They aren't great players by any stretch but they are better than Barney and Goins and they didn't cost anything really. I can't really complain. Wish they would actually do 'something' to move the needle but I guess if your not going to actually do that then a bunch of bandaids is better than nothing.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
So the Jays gave up a 21yr old propsect (Olivares) who hit 17 homers last season in A-ball who seems to have good power for a 30yr old who is soon to be on the decline who hit 18 homers last season. Interesting. I would have kept that prospect.

Low A.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Breakout year at 21 at Low A. Toolsy guy who could turn into something but he has a long way to go.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Breakout year at 21 at Low A. Toolsy guy who could turn into something but he has a long way to go.

Was going to post exactly this. He's definitely got tools and some raw talent but far from a sure thing by any means. He's a good acquisition for a team like the Padres but he likely wasn't going to do anything with the Jays organization anyways. One of the reason why you have prospects is so you can trade them to fix holes on your mlb team. Jays needed better infield depth and now they've got that with Solarte and Diaz. Now need 1 or 2 outfielders, mid/bottom SP, and a back-up catcher. Think I heard somewhere that Jays have around 20-25 mil to spend.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
After this trade, I immediately had to look up a trade deadline article where a local writer suggested the Padres ought to trade Solarte to the Red Sox for Rafael Devers.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
When I saw this thread atop the board I thought the Jays had traded him away. Forgot the original package. :laugh:

Yeah, it hasn't been a great fit.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
When I saw this thread atop the board I thought the Jays had traded him away. Forgot the original package. :laugh:

Yeah, it hasn't been a great fit.

He played well earlier in the season but he's not a full time player. Toronto's injuries and lack of depth has really exposed that. He's a versatile player with some tools but doesn't have the top end talent or consistency to play everyday. It was a pretty meh deal and he filled a need on the roster, basically the Darwin Barney/Ryan Goins role. I think it's a stretch to say that the move has been a disaster.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
Solarte was supposed to be a depth piece but was forced into an everyday role and was overexposed, as mentioned above. He was pretty solid up until the end of May, which is when he started falling apart.

Before June 1st - .257/.320/.471, 11 HR, 113 wRC+, .337 wOBA
After June 1st - .208/.250/.318. 6 HR, 53 wRC+, .249 wOBA

As for Olivares, he did not exactly tear the cover off the ball as a 22 year old in A ball. Overall, I think the trade made sense for both teams, but with Solarte likely not being brought back for 2019 and Olivares not showing a whole lot, this trade will likely be one that is nearly forgotten about in a few years.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
He has negative WAR, the worst on the team

Ok, He's been the worst Blue Jay this year. He was brought in to be a depth piece. No one expected him to be Jose Altuve. I get that maybe he ran over your family or something to that nature but why are we discussing him right now?

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Ok, He's been the worst Blue Jay this year. He was brought in to be a depth piece. No one expected him to be Jose Altuve. I get that maybe he ran over your family or something to that nature but why are we discussing him right now?
Lol, I have nothing against him. I’m just revisiting signings and trades at the end of the season to see how they panned out

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad