Trade: [TOR/SA] Leonard and Green to TOR for DeRozan, Poeltl and draft considerations

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I thought they were adding leonard to the core of lowery,derozen and company,,,did not realize they lost derozen for him,,,for some reson i dont think this ends up good.i can see lowery wanting out soon.
I don't think the Raptors would mind.

I'm willing to bet that this "miscommunication" is about Masai not being asked about DeRozan by the Spurs during initial trade talks, hence why he likely told DeRozan he's in Toronto to stay. And then the likely scenario that played out was the Spurs asking for DeRozan AFTER the conversation Masai had with him, thus putting Masai in a tough position to make a hard decision, but a decision he needed to pull the trigger on.

No sane person tells his star player that he isn't trading him to his face and then goes and trades him a couple of days later without legitimate reason to do so. Marc Bergevin isn't sane, which is why he doesn't qualify.

Apr 28, 2010
I thought they were adding leonard to the core of lowery,derozen and company,,,did not realize they lost derozen for him,,,for some reson i dont think this ends up good.i can see lowery wanting out soon.

Assuming Toronto gets the MVP Kawhi back for a full season, they are a much better team now than with Derozan, imo.

Don't forget the Raps are also getting Danny Green. Their 3pt shooting/overall defense will also get better.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
A healthy, motivated Kawhi is a top 3 player in the league... a superstar who redefines two-way dominance. Like one article said he turns opposing stars into role players. Don't forget the last time he played in the playoffs he led the league in player efficiency rating and win shares per 48 minutes. Basically speaking he is the best playoff performer Toronto has ever had, and it's not even close

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Just saw Masai's conference, have to say, I like his honesty. Sounded genuine.

The deal fell apart a lot of times before finally happening, hence why I think DeRozan didn't think he'd be traded. Plus like Masai said, DeRozan didn't really comprehend what he and team management asked him.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
----> The Raptors Are Built for the Long Haul No Matter What Kawhi Decides

Good read, hopefully anyone who's still against this for the Raps will now understand.

Something that article doesn't touch on -- that I've been thinking about a lot for my knicks if we do land Kyrie without gutting the youth to trade for a 2nd Max FA -- is how much more the kids will learn from a season next to Kawhi even if he leaves next year, especially if they make it to the finals this year.

Coaching & PT are important but so is playing & practicing with a superstar every day, while experiencing more success & higher echelons of the NBA.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Raptors still need to add a quality starter and some vets. David West would good and cheap and bring in veteran toughness. Our bigs needs some toughening up.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Ehhhhh I don't think vets is the way to go. As of now, the starters/backups probably looks like this:

JV/Ibaka
OG/Siakam
Kawhi/Miles
Green/Wright
Lowry/FVV

With the late-game lineup probably ending up as Siakam/OG/Kawhi/Green/Lowry. The Raps had the best bench in the league last season with all that youth, you can't disrupt it by bringing in washed up vets.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I would. think this trade hurts the Raptors...long term.
When Masai is talking to UFA about joining the Raptors and being part of the Raptor family, plays will remember how DeRozan was traded/treated.
It's tough enough get player star players to play in Canada, and when you got one, and a player who had options to play elsewhere, it looks bad for the team when he traded.
Not saying it was a bad trade, but the optics from players/agents make the Raptors rather heartless.
Wonder how Leonard who had some difficulty with coaches apparently is going to managed by a rookie head coach.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
When Masai is talking to UFA about joining the Raptors and being part of the Raptor family, plays will remember how DeRozan was traded/treated.
It's tough enough get player star players to play in Canada, and when you got one, and a player who had options to play elsewhere, it looks bad for the team when he traded.
Not saying it was a bad trade, but the optics from players/agents make the Raptors rather heartless.
Wonder how Leonard who had some difficulty with coaches apparently is going to managed by a rookie head coach.

Eh, players probably appreciate the difference between DeRozan & Kawhi even more than fans

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Had some difficulty with coaches? When has Leonard ever had difficulty with coaches? Pop LOVED Kawhi.

Reactions: Voight and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A lot of people speak highly of Nurse and think he'll be a good HC but I do wonder what would've happened if Masai had known they'd be making this trade. Impossible to know the answer but would they still go with Nurse? Keep Casey? Push harder for Bud? Hire one of the Spurs coaches they interviewed? The expectations just went way up and there's more at stake now.

MorrisSmit89

Mar 20, 2014
"Fired the coach of the year".. lool I hate this narrative. Casey should have been fired after we got our asses handed to us against the Wizards.. even after the Brooklyn series where he drew up the final play on the wrong side of the court.

So glad he's no longer the Raps coach.

Reactions: Voight

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
I’m Derozan fan Sorry to see him leave Raptors
Good luck with the Spurs
Watch him get better under Pops
Pop has turn turned great players into superstars.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ehhhhh I don't think vets is the way to go. As of now, the starters/backups probably looks like this:

JV/Ibaka
OG/Siakam
Kawhi/Miles
Green/Wright
Lowry/FVV

With the late-game lineup probably ending up as Siakam/OG/Kawhi/Green/Lowry. The Raps had the best bench in the league last season with all that youth, you can't disrupt it by bringing in washed up vets.
They are missing toughness that only a guy who has been there before can bring. There are certain times in games when these players are of value. The way West was used in GS is exactly what T.O. needs. The way an over the hill Oakley gave Toronto a fighters chance and it made the team tougher. When Ibanka decides to be a no show in the playoffs I wouldn't hesitate to put West in. Not give the guy a rotation spot but have that option available on a very friendly contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad