Confirmed with Link: TOR Promotes Jim Paliafito | Hire 3 New Amateur Scouts

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Of Note, Chris Roque was Kyle Dubas' Central Ontario Scout for the Soo Greyhounds when he was there

Grigori Shafigulin has played in the KHL since 2008. Played for Spartak last season. Grigori Shafigulin at eliteprospects.com

Olegs Koreskovs is from ICEBERG Sports Analytics. Former European Pro Hockey Player. Looks like he was the Director of the Pre-Draft Showcase for European Players for the past 3 years as well. https://www.linkedin.com/in/olegs-koreskovs-71215829/

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
happy we could retain Paliafito, who Hunter brought in. Largely responsible for finding guys like Zaitsev, Borgman, and Rosen.

Reactions: iSophagus

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
Happy to hear we've added a couple of scouts for Europe (i presume). About time we've sent someone else over there.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
happy we could retain Paliafito, who Hunter brought in. Largely responsible for finding guys like Zaitsev, Borgman, and Rosen.
Zaitsev was known about league-wide. The guy credited with finding Soshnikov and Korshkov was Namestnikov, who has moved on. I'd assume Vuori and Bergman would be the key point-men on the Swedish guys.

Reactions: chamchibap

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think that means Martino is on the way out. But as expected, Leafs got a GTA/Central Ontario scout, a Russian Scout, and a USHL scout. First two had holes. Last one was something I expected the Leafs to do since Martino may be leaving + he may not have been good enough for what the Leafs wanted out of the region.

Paliafito is old news. They just haven't announced it until now, but that title was on their website for weeks. He's essentially just getting a piece of Hunter's pie along with Lilley, Morrison and Clark.

Leafs now just need another Russian scout, an Eastern Scouting Director (possibly Clark) and a US Scouting Director (possibly Vesey). If they really wanted, they could also look into getting another scout for the Maritimes. Although the Leafs may end up sending someone to Newfoundland to help out and then ask him to scout the Maritimes as well. Rather than getting a full time scout. Or getting some information through connections they may end up making over there.

chamchibap

Jun 15, 2018
Zaitsev was known about league-wide. The guy credited with finding Soshnikov and Korshkov was Namestnikov, who has moved on. I'd assume Vuori and Bergman would be the key point-men on the Swedish guys.

Was it you who heard about a possibly divisive hiring/move in the scouting department ? Is it one of these?
Thanks!

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013

Paliafito did not "find" the guys, but he was the guy responsible for bringing every single one of them over. So he played a much larger role, especially considering many of them were already pretty prestigous and well-known.

Reactions: Walshy7

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Of Note, Chris Roque was Kyle Dubas' Central Ontario Scout for the Soo Greyhounds when he was there

Grigori Shafigulin has played in the KHL since 2008. Played for Spartak last season. Grigori Shafigulin at eliteprospects.com

Olegs Koreskovs is from ICEBERG Sports Analytics. Former European Pro Hockey Player. Looks like he was the Director of the Pre-Draft Showcase for European Players for the past 3 years as well. Olegs Koreskovs - Scout - Toronto Maple Leafs | LinkedIn

well cant complain about the new hires "never having played the game" that old school fans cling to

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Was it you who heard about a possibly divisive hiring/move in the scouting department ? Is it one of these?
Thanks!

He said it was a surprising name that we would know about when we saw it.

So, probably not any of these.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Happy to hear we've added a couple of scouts for Europe (i presume). About time we've sent someone else over there.

Koreskovs is a USHL scout, so we still need one more European Scout. EDIT: Nevermind, he is a European scout who worked for a USHL team. So that means we have our European scouts. He'll probably work in Russia.

Our European scouting has seen some hirings over the years. Notably Vuori, but also Nordmark, Jeleniks and Namestnikov (who has since left). We had Bergman and Ladygin from previous regimes, but Ladygin has also left. You do not need more than 6 guys to cover everything in Europe. Right now we have 5, so we could use one more to replace the other of Ladygin/Namestnikov in Russia.

So really we've built up 80% of our European staff since Shanny has arrived, and the last 20% is one of the best European scouts in the NHL who has been here for a while.

suprvilce

Sep 12, 2006
Koreskovs is a USHL scout, so we still need one more European Scout.

Our European scouting has seen some hirings over the years. Notably Vuori, but also Nordmark, Jeleniks and Namestnikov (who has since left). We had Bergman and Ladygin from previous regimes, but Ladygin has also left. You do not need more than 6 guys to cover everything in Europe. Right now we have 5, so we could use one more to replace the other of Ladygin/Namestnikov in Russia.

So really we've built up 80% of our European staff since Shanny has arrived, and the last 20% is one of the best European scouts in the NHL who has been here for a while.

Well i just feel we have been lacking greatly in the european scouting over the years. We have Bergman who could be one of the best but i think he's more focused on Sweden. Last time we drafted a decent european players (talking non Swedish here) was in 2006 with Tlusty and Kulemin, who aren't really anything special to write home about.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We have drafted a few Russians recently. It's still early, but they do not look bad. I think it was more of a philosophical thing. Burke always liked his American born players and guys with "truculence". Most Europeans do not play that way, so obviously we weren't going to select many. My main shock is that we haven't tapped Finland all that often. Literally the last Finnish player we drafted was Rask in 2005. I know we scout there so it's surprising. We've drafted out of almost every other European country (with any sort of serious hockey program) since the last time we've drafted out of Finland. Switzerland, Germany (twice), Slovakia, Czechnia (twice), Latvia, Sweden and Russia multiple times... Just not Denmark, Norway and Sweden.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
We have drafted a few Russians recently. It's still early, but they do not look bad. I think it was more of a philosophical thing. Burke always liked his American born players and guys with "truculence". Most Europeans do not play that way, so obviously we weren't going to select many. My main shock is that we haven't tapped Finland all that often. Literally the last Finnish player we drafted was Rask in 2005. I know we scout there so it's surprising. We've drafted out of almost every other European country (with any sort of serious hockey program) since the last time we've drafted out of Finland. Switzerland, Germany (twice), Slovakia, Czechnia (twice), Latvia, Sweden and Russia multiple times... Just not Denmark, Norway and Sweden.
We drafted Komarov who was from Finland in 06.

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
well cant complain about the new hires "never having played the game" that old school fans cling to
"What's this round thing again? Think they called it a wheel. It looks so "old school" I doubt it even works. Lets assemble new fans and fix this useless thing."

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
"What's this round thing again? Think they called it a wheel. It looks so "old school" I doubt it even works. Lets assemble new fans and fix this useless thing."

haha such a poor analogy. For your analogy to work only a wheel could possibly come up with the idea of a better wheel, now i know you dont think that a wheel improved itself. Maybe you think only people who are professional drivers have ever improved the wheel in history?

A lot of people here complained that Dubas had "never played the game" im pointing out these new hires/promotions have.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
haha such a poor analogy. For your analogy to work only a wheel could possibly come up with the idea of a better wheel, now i know you dont think that a wheel improved itself. Maybe you think only people who are professional drivers have ever improved the wheel in history?

A lot of people here complained that Dubas had "never played the game" im pointing out these new hires/promotions have.
I mean, he did play the game, till he was a teenager:sarcasm:

Reactions: Walshy7

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Flex that financial muscle baby. These don’t count against the cap.

Take that rest of the league and HF main boards

:yo:

Last edited:

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
We drafted Komarov who was from Finland in 06.

Meh, still. 12 years is a long time for a place as good as Finland and we've still drafted someone from all those other places since.

I do not even think we got many Finnish prospects since then. Kapanen and Kaskisuo. Anyone else really? Hartikainen doesn't count.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Meh, still. 12 years is a long time for a place as good as Finland and we've still drafted someone from all those other places since.

I do not even think we got many Finnish prospects since then. Kapanen and Kaskisuo. Anyone else really? Hartikainen doesn't count.
Keep in mind though, Finland had multiple years between then where they didn't produce first rounders and were terrible. It started to turn back around 2013. Only notable guy from Finland based in Finland at that time was Granlund. Guys like Rajala and Pulkkinen were flops. I mean we passed on Terravainen for Rielly. Most of the other big names in that time-frame we didn't have the opportunity to pick or we picked a guy as good or better. The only one we might want to have back is Dermott over Aho, but that pick isn't a disaster. Marner over Rantanen is fine. We picked Nylander over Kapanen (and ended up with Kapanen) and Matthews over Laine. Other good Finns we were never really in a position to draft such as Barkov, and Risto (although I think he's dramatically overrated). It would have been awesome to get Haula in the late rounds or Donskoi before he was picked, but there are a bunch of other Finnish busts who went before them.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012

Jimmy played a huge role in Nikita signing in Toronto,” said Milstein, who took over from Zaitsev’s original agent, Mike Liut. “Jimmy found him, identified him, kept in touch with him regularly.”
“He did everything for me,” said Zaitsev. “He did a huge job to bring me here. He’s an unbelievable guy.”
Said Milstein: “I think people probably underestimate what Jim does for that organization. You don’t hear his name at all. He sets up everything.

I guess Zaitsev's agent was lying when he said "He found him"

The Paliafito file: How little-known scout has become big player with Maple Leafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad