Confirmed with Link: [TOR/PIT] RW Kapanen, D Lindgren, LW Aberg for '20 1st(15th), LW Rodrigues, C Hallander, D Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Just because the Leafs lost to Boston in G7 does not make his contributions invisible in that series.
He scored one goal in that series on a breakaway. He was invisible aside from that.
Thats a strange point you are making. Leafs have lost in 1st round 4 years in a row, but hey their contributions were noticable.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yeah, I have an Athletic subscription, I've seen nothing that Wheeler or Pronman have said that he is more than a bottom six guy that could potentially move up the line-up in a pinch.
I remember Wheeler mentioned it but still not a good trade for Pittsburgh.
Seems like a desparation attempt to make the trade look better for Pittsburgh since Kappy is on a hot streak.
This thread wouldn't be bumped otherwise

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
What scouting experts have ever called Hallander a middle sixer?

I know there was a dude from Sweden that said he was a combination of Hornqvist and Hagelin, but to be honest, PIT has done a really good job of moving on from prospects that they view as replaceable over the Rutherford era. The only prospect we moved that came back to bite us was Sundqvist and to be honest, I'm not sure his foot speed really added up to working in PIT, plus we likely lose him to waivers even if we didn't move him.
The only expectations for Hallander is to be a depth guy that plays a good defensive game with some sandpaper. No one is fixated on him being a top prospect, I'm not even sure if he cracked any top 10 rankings for the Leafs.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Seems like a desparation attempt to make the trade look better for Pittsburgh since Kappy is on a hot streak.

Chances are good that Pittsburgh got the best player in the deal. How’s it not good? It was a win-win.

Reactions: ToneDog

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Not shocked at all y Kapanen's performance, he's a legit top 6 forward with some sandpaper. He has inconsistency problems, but he's a good player. The trade for the leafs wasn't just about acquiring prospects and picks, but also to shed salary. They basically have Mikheyev and Simmonds for Kapanen's salary.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Not a good trade for Pens ?? Pens are in winning mode now as their window is closing. The cap space was not as important as it was for Dubas. This is a win for both teams IMO.

Reactions: exporta

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Come on, who wants "overpaid bottom-six players on longer-term contracts?".
Exactly.
If we had cap space, off the top of my head, we could have been in on Hoffman, Hall, Duclair, Haula, Grandlund, and Vatanen for a year.
None of those are playing all that well, other than maybe Hoffman, who I wouldn't want on the team regardless of cost. We found better deals. Who exactly do you want to remove for those players?
but we could only shop in the bargain bin section due to our cap situation.
Was Brodie "bargain bin"?

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Kappy this season
CF%: 50.64
SCF%: 46.37
HDCF%: 43.88
XGF%: 47.02

OZ%: 70

He's been pretty awful this season and getting easy zone starts.
His production is a fluke

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Kapanen like I said has been our most consistent forward outside of Rust this year. More consistent than Crosby, more consistent than Malkin. He's been exactly what we needed outside of a power play influence and he's signed cheap and young for this year and next.

It's been a solid win / win for both teams. Leafs got to stock up with a potential top nine forward and bottom six with the pick and Hallander. PIT got a win now RW that also can be a long term solution.

Reactions: exporta and ToneDog

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
If Ceci and Kapanen really are the Penguins 2nd and 3rd most consistent players, it might be why they are hanging on to a playoff spot by a thread.

Well duh. We have the same structure as the Leafs except our core is 33+. Crosby, Malkin and Letang being wildly inconsistent is going to make us bad.

That being said things seem to be rounding into place and Kapanen has continued to produce throughout the line-up.

Reactions: exporta

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Exactly.

None of those are playing all that well, other than maybe Hoffman, who I wouldn't want on the team regardless of cost. We found better deals. Who exactly do you want to remove for those players?

If we had cap space, certainly Granlund, possibly Duclair and Haula for Petan, Barabanov, Vesey, Jumbo and Boyd in that order. Vatanen is more dicey as there is no room on the RS for him.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Nothing wrong with a win/win trade. The Pens have the best contributor currently and the Leafs were able to reallocate the cap space created for help elsewhere on the roster. The hope here is also obviously that future value is still to come as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The main piece coming back to Toronto was the Amirov pick, then the $3 million plus in cap flexibility which was then allocated to the likes of Thornton, Simmonds, Bogosian and Vesey, all making a combined salary equal to Kapanen. Then Hallander.

I don’t doubt Kapanen would look like a fresh and versatile player on a team like Pittsburgh. The Penguins are an older team and transitioning out their contending era so a 25 year year old former 20 goal scorer who can skate is going to look like a breath of fresh air.

But on a team where Matthews, Marner are actually younger than Kapanen, we don’t really miss him. And a guy like Amirov who is half a decade younger and loaded with more offensive upside is going to be a shot in the arm for us when we need that injection or youth.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Its a win for Toronto because if Pittsburgh waited like 2 weeks, they could've gotten him for probably shit all.

Kapanen is an inconsequential player. The Leafs dont miss him at all.

Glad he's doing well in Pit tho.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Its a win for Toronto because if Pittsburgh waited like 2 weeks, they could've gotten him for probably shit all.

Yeah exactly right. Dubas basically caught Rutherford off guard in the old economy and got a haul via personal Rutherford-Kapanen family connections.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
If we had cap space, certainly Granlund, possibly Duclair and Haula for Petan, Barabanov, Vesey, Jumbo and Boyd in that order.
You're naming sub-1m players, some of which aren't even in our top-12 forwards. Who actually within our top-12 forwards are these players replacing, and where is this cap coming from? Granlund alone pretty much costs the same as the 5 Leaf players you named, combined. The funny thing is, Thornton (who is on your list to be replaced) is outproducing all three of the players you named (at 700k), despite being injured and missing almost half the season.
Vatanen is more dicey as there is no room on the RS for him.
Vatanen can't even solidify a spot as New Jersey's #6 defenseman; darn right there's no space for him here at 2m.

Reactions: Menzinger

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I don’t think this is true though. We didn’t see a single play on a contract like Kapanen’s moved this off season. TBH, I think his value may have increased.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You're naming sub-1m players, some of which aren't even in our top-12 forwards. Who actually within our top-12 forwards are these players replacing, and where is this cap coming from? Granlund alone pretty much costs the same as the 5 Leaf players you named, combined. The funny thing is, Thornton (who is on your list to be replaced) is outproducing all three of the players you named (at 700k), and he's been injured and missed almost half the season.

Vatanen can't even solidify a spot as New Jersey's #6 defenseman; darn right there's no space for him here at 2m.

Thornton is playing with 34 and 16 and I doubt he can maintain that pace as the season takes it toll on him.

Granlund can replace any LWer in our 12 other than Hyman. Haula can replace any of our C's other than 34 and 91. There are lots of options that could have been if we had cap space. Come on, even you can admit this.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Thornton is playing with 34 and 16 and I doubt he can maintain that pace as the season takes it toll on him.
Boyd is playing on the 4th line, and has played 6 fewer games, and is still outproducing Haula. Actually, he has a better P/GP than Granlund too.
Granlund can replace any LWer in our 12 other than Hyman. Haula can replace any of our C's other than 34 and 91.
Neither are meaningful upgrades (arguably downgrades) on our existing options, and both cost more than the existing options they would realistically replace. Seems mostly like you're trying to overpay for name value, based on the idea that the grass is always greener. And you still won't answer where the money is actually coming from. Our contracts and cap allocation are perfectly fine.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad