Confirmed with Link: [TOR/PIT] RW Kapanen, D Lindgren, LW Aberg for '20 1st(15th), LW Rodrigues, C Hallander, D Warsofsky

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I think Shanahan ripped into Dubas and woke him up. He played in the cup, it's a team sport but it can't all be flash in the Stanley.
Or maybe Dubas's full vision is coming into play? His Marlies and Soo teams were of good balance of skill and grit. Shanny didn't step in. Dubas is just building a team the way his other teams were built.
Dubas got Muzzin and apparently tried to get Clifford in the deal. He tried to get Bogosian at the deadline. These are all tough players Dubas has had interest. He didn't change because Shanny told him too. He's just seeing his full outlook come into play.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Or maybe Dubas's full vision is coming into play? His Marlies and Soo teams were of good balance of skill and grit. Shanny didn't step in. Dubas is just building a team the way his other teams were built.
Dubas got Muzzin and apparently tried to get Clifford in the deal. He tried to get Bogosian at the deadline. These are all tough players Dubas has had interest. He didn't change because Shanny told him too. He's just seeing his full outlook come into play.
This poster would have to ignore everything Shanahan has said recently to even come up with that ridiculous of a take. If anything, Dubas is going AGAINST Shanahan's wishes.

But people live in their own realities based on their own biases.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Kapanen with his 7 points in 25 playoff game will not miss to toronto except maybe for penalty kill. Kapanen is by far the most overated player of leafs last 4 season.

Johnsson was a better player and a player i really liked but toronto didnt have an other choice than traded him. Maybe Barabanov or vesey ( in a better team) will give us something close to Johnsson.

4 th line will be better
Brodie will best the best rielly partner in his carreer. Hainsey was the only tol 4 dman rielly played with and no barrie is not a top 4 dman for me. Barrie is pretty good offensive side yes but hes so awfull defensive side to be considere like a real top 4 like shattenkirk or gostibehere.SSo brodie is a huge upgrade over barrie

Bogosian will give us strenght and physical play who missed last year and why Marincin was there. So jst to never see again marincin, its a huge upgrade.

Lehtonen is a joker : a guy who just can change everything. Just remenbered rafalski with a very similar development what he did when he started at 26 years old. Hes got skill and Hockey IQ to be a very very good top 4 dman. If he can just really well to north america , toronto can go from one of the worst d group to one of best d in the league. But its still a big IF.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

It’s absolutely wild how fast people think changes are made in the NHL. This is Dubas’ 3rd offseason. There has been huge turnover but I bet this is still not his final product of an ideal team.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

It's hard to say but for me this team is drastically better than last year's and I think we won the Kappy trade which should be a slap in Nylander's face. Pressure is good for highly paid athletes as is competition. We also have added character. This team won't be fun to play against.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not looking as bad as most thought for PIT.

Hallander seems to be doing OKAY in the SHL. I'm sure he'll probably come over and be a decent enough bottom six guy, but Kapanen has been very good for PIT and I don't see a lot of the criticisms Leafs fans had about him.

To be honest, Kapanen and Ceci have probably been our most consistent players overall this year outside of Bryan Rust. Be curious to see what Kapanen finishes with point wise. Also, weirdly enough he isn't being used on the PK at all.

Final point. A lot of people want to make this seem like an overpay because of the deals that eventually went down the rest of the off season. TBH, what play of Kapanen's caliber and on that kind of contract was moved? Pens basically got the best winger moved outside of Saad and Kapanen and Saad are in completely different places career wise. Seems like a solid win / win for both teams tbh.

Last edited:

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Hallander seems to be doing OKAY in the SHL. I'm sure he'll probably come over and be a decent enough bottom six guy, but Kapanen has been very good for PIT and I don't see a lot of the criticisms Leafs fans had about him.

To be honest, Kapanen and Ceci have probably been our most consistent players overall this year outside of Bryan Rust. Be curious to see what Kapanen finishes with point wise. Also, weirdly enough he isn't being used on the PK at all.

Final point. A lot of people want to make this seem like an overpay because of the deals that eventually went down the rest of the off season. TBH, what play of Kapanen's caliber and on that kind of contract was moved? Pens basically got the best winger moved outside of Saad and Kapanen and Saad are in completely different places career wise. Seems like a solid win / win for both teams tbh.
Some said they do not miss him here but I do. Glad he is doing well. Nice breakaway goal last night.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

There was nothing wrong with Kapanen, but 15th overall + Hallander was selling high on him and we needed his cap space. He wouldn't have broken out in a 3rd line role here, and he struggled in our top 6. Good for him for working out in PIT, but that doesn't come as any major surprise to Leafs fans.

Mikheyev has done a great job replacing him right now, and we've got guys like Joey Anderson, Filip Hallander, and Rodion Amirov coming up (which is what we received for Kapanen + Andreas Johnsson) plus guys like Mikhail Abramov, Nick Abruzzese, Nick Robertson, and Roni Hirvonen who we feel can cheaply replace guys like him, Johnsson, and eventually Alex Kerfoot and Ilya Mikheyev within the next few years. We seem to do a decent job at finding quality Russian and bargain UFA targets as well, so we can afford to move guys like Kapanen to get quality picks and prospects.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

Glad hes working out for you.

I dont miss him. He wasnt what the Leafs needed while he was here. Perhaps he needed the trade to wake him up.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
It’s absolutely wild how fast people think changes are made in the NHL. This is Dubas’ 3rd offseason. There has been huge turnover but I bet this is still not his final product of an ideal team.

There's no such thing as a final product. You make your team as best you can with the resources available at the time, and that's all you can ever do.

Reactions: Northernguy10

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

The majority of the criticism about how pens overpaid from leafs fans is not about the quality of the player. Go back before the trade and you can see plenty of leafs fans arguing kapanen could garner a first.

The criticism of overpaying is just leafs fans projecting all the flack we took from main boards saying kapanen is worth a first back to the main boards.

Also we got lucky with timing, given how much harder it was to move salary after COVID hit. So if you look at trades after, Kapanen’s return is going to look massive. But if you look at history, it’s par for the quality of player.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Without a cap I do not make this trade. Leafs hesitating to take Amirov when it was time to pick at #15 (probably in order to trade down) seals it for me.

Reactions: mazmin

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario

I always liked Kappy, and I’ll root for him on the Pens. Glad he’s working out for you guys.

But as others have said, he wasn’t what we needed here, and has been replaced for much cheaper. Still happy with the trade.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I loved Kappy as a Leaf, I wanted to keep him. I am thrilled that he is working out for the Penguins. As I recall, the narrative was largely that Kappy is a good player who Penguins fans will love, but Rutherford overpaid for him. I don't see how that has changed at all.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

You got a good player, and one of the few last year who showed some grit. He's only 24 years old and has twice as many points as the 26 year old player who has replaced him.

Leafs cap issues were part of it, and the hope is the futures acquired turn into NHL players.

I don't think either party is disappointed.

Reactions: ToneDog

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The money in and out in this trade is something like Kapanen for Amirov, Hallander, Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian.

Yeah, I don't know how many times I heard people projecting the fantasy that the Cap was going over 100mm.

Like people thinking they're always going to get 6% returns on their investments. Or retire on the NorTel stock options.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
The money in and out in this trade is something like Kapanen for Amirov, Hallander, Thornton, Simmonds and Bogosian.

I think you forgot the stiff they inlcuded in the trade for Gally and I believe Lindgren went to the Pens but not an issue.

It was a good trade for Dubas, given everybody knew Dubas needed to free up cap space and with COVID they landed those 3 players for less money to boot. However I said, without a cap, I do not make this trade (and I will add) unless I think who I get at #15 (Amirov) can be better than Kappy because at the end of the day the team that gets the best player in the deal, usually wins the deal.

There is a reason why the Leafs have been rumoured to be looking for a top 6 forward. Not sure that would be the case if their was no cap and they could have kept Kappy and AJ.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah, I don't know how many times I heard people projecting the fantasy that the Cap was going over 100mm.

Like people thinking they're always going to get 6% returns on their investments. Or retire on the NorTel stock options.

Due to COVID it did not even increase to the projected 83-85m and it looks like it will remain flat for the next few years. Sucks for everybody, except capologists who are now in high demand.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Kappy repeatedly proved he could not play in our top 6.
If he could, he may very well still be here.

Thanks.

Nah Kappy was gone as soon as he signed that deal and COVID hit. Just like Kerfoot will be gone and you can't tell me you prefer Kerfoot to Kappy in the top 6.

You are welcome.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Leafs hesitating to take Amirov when it was time to pick at #15 (probably in order to trade down) seals it for me.
Lmao, what are you even talking about? Maybe try going off the quality of the prospect we received, and not your random, arbitrary guesses at what they were doing. Amirov is a great prospect.
you can't tell me you prefer Kerfoot to Kappy in the top 6.
I prefer Kerfoot to Kapanen in the top-6.
The cap was going to go up to 100m pretty fast if it wasn't for Covid. It would have jumped to ~85m this year.

Reactions: stickty111
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad