Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Zaitsev, Brown, Carcone for Ceci, Harpur, Luchuk, 2020 CBJ 3rd Round Pick

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I break down the trade like so. Zaitsev for Ceci, Carcone for Harpur and Brown for Luchuk + 3rd. The Leafs clearly win the first two portions of the swap, but sell low on Brown to make up for it.

Ceci will be a good #4 dman and should be a fixture on the PK. Harpur should play a role as the #6-7 defenseman and he lead the league in major penalties last season.

Luchuk will fill a center role for the Marlies next year.

Getting out of Zaitsev is the most important aspect of the trade going forward. The 3rd was a nice bonus to wake up too.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I'm still hoping Dubas isnt done yet. Hes killed the offseason so far, but I hope he either is active and can work out extensions for either muzzin/Barrie or find a deal to upgrade on ceci. Getting a quality RHD to play in the top 4 who can PK would be great. To bad Gudas is off the market. Would love him instead of Ceci

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Didn’t really like this trade at first blush. Ceci is pretty bad and hugely overpaid for no cap savings and losing Brown hurts.

But letting Ceci walk and using that/Zaitsev’s space to re sign Barrie gives this a lot better context. Feeling very positive about these moves.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I'm still hoping Dubas isnt done yet. Hes killed the offseason so far, but I hope he either is active and can work out extensions for either muzzin/Barrie or find a deal to upgrade on ceci. Getting a quality RHD to play in the top 4 who can PK would be great. To bad Gudas is off the market. Would love him instead of Ceci

Gotta wait to see how Ceci performs with an actual partner for once.

The best one he ever had was a deteriorating Phaneauf a couple of years ago and was just being thrown out there against other teams 1st/2nd line players with no help as the team sold off it's better players. Ceci gets the double whammy of being both a shutdown guy and being on a bad team. Let's see how he looks next to Muzzin.

I do like Gudas but hes never faced the hard usage Ceci has.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Hey think of it this way.... Babs won't be able playess plugs like Marleau and Brown anymore so that's a positive
I'm not sure where people get this idea that Brown was over played. He was in fact averaging less ice time every season under Babcock, and his production suffered for it, the only good thing last season was his assist totals . You can't exactly expect someone to repeat 20 goals while playing no powerplay minutes and playing 3rd and 4th line all year.

16-17 - 20 goals, 16 assists for 36 points . 16:20 average ice time , 249 shot attempts, 14.4 shooting %
17-18 - 14 goals, 14 assists for 28 points , 15:01 average ice time , 203 shot attempts, 11.8 shooting %
18-19 - 8 goals, 21 assists for 29 points , 13:48 average ice time , 161 shot attempts , 9.4 shooting %

In the past 3 seasons, 79 out of his 93 points came from even strength and most of his PP points came from that first season where he played more.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Looking at the success rates on attempted plays by both defenceman in each zone, we can see that Ceci is significantly better than Zaitsev with the puck in the offensive and neutral zones, while Zaitsev is superior in the defensive zone. Overall they both are below average puck handlers.
Looking at passes in particular, the same breakdown holds true. Zaitsev is a little better in the defensive zone, Ceci is better outside of it, and both players remain below average passers at their position.

Zaitsev has been among the least effective passers in the NHL over the past three seasons, not just with poor success rates, but with low involvement as well. However last season he was a bit more active and made significantly more passes than Ceci.
Ultimately, the way this trade looks to me is that the Leafs shedded Connor Brown for cap space and traded Zaitsev for a very similar player who is more risky, but brings a bit more offence with less term.

Analyzing Cody Ceci's game: What will he do for the Maple Leafs? - Sportsnet.ca

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Sens insta looks like the Leafs insta

upload_2019-7-2_23-37-41.png

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I'm not sure where people get this idea that Brown was over played. He was in fact averaging less ice time every season under Babcock, and his production suffered for it, the only good thing last season was his assist totals . You can't exactly expect someone to repeat 20 goals while playing no powerplay minutes and playing 3rd and 4th line all year.

16-17 - 20 goals, 16 assists for 36 points . 16:20 average ice time , 249 shot attempts, 14.4 shooting %
17-18 - 14 goals, 14 assists for 28 points , 15:01 average ice time , 203 shot attempts, 11.8 shooting %
18-19 - 8 goals, 21 assists for 29 points , 13:48 average ice time , 161 shot attempts , 9.4 shooting %

In the past 3 seasons, 79 out of his 93 points came from even strength and most of his PP points came from that first season where he played more.
He also had one of the highest primary point ratio on the team, perhaps pointing to him playing with players below his ability. The definition of buried by depth

Reactions: KuleminFan41 and kb

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013

I don't have the numbers but I'm pretty sure he played a lot of minutes with Marleau last year, and Marleau is pretty much his kryptonite (well not kryptonite because Brown isn't Superman, but whatever.) Brown is a forecheck/cycle player. Both of those things require the forwards to work at a unit. Any defenceman in the league can handle a one-man forecheck, just toss it over to his partner. Similar for cycling, it's all about each forward controlling the puck in turn. Marleau lost the puck pretty much every time he touched it. In other words, the worst part of Marleau's game is what Brown is most dependent on to succeed. (Brown also needs a linemate who is good at transitioning through the neutral zone, and he didn't have that either.)

He's a role player but he took way too much criticism. The guy signed a very cheap contract after scoring 20 as a rookie, and I'll be cheering for him to rebound in Ottawa.

Reactions: KuleminFan41

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It took a while for people to warm up to Carconne (the guy we got back for Leivo). It quietly became a sneaky-good trade, as Carconne has shown some NHL potential.

Similarily, I think people will warm up to Lachuk... there is some potential there too... Not saying he will make the NHL, just suggesting you can't rule it out! ;)

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
It took a while for people to warm up to Carconne (the guy we got back for Leivo). It quietly became a sneaky-good trade, as Carconne has shown some NHL potential.

Similarily, I think people will warm up to Lachuk... there is some potential there too... Not saying he will make the NHL, just suggesting you can't rule it out! ;)
I told my friend (a Sens fan) that they shouldn't be considering Carcone a plus in this trade, he's got something in him. Won't be a top liner, but on a team ripe with opportunity, he'll be ok.

Reactions: MyBudJT

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Listening to Interviews by DJ Smith and Zaitsev, I realised that DJ smith was responsible for Zaitsev high number of defensive zone starts. Which was the reason he requested a trade because of his usage. But the coach responsible for managing his ice time has left and gone to Ottawa only for Z to by under the same coach again? am I missing something? I mean it worked out for the leaf to dump his contract, but still strange.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Listening to Interviews by DJ Smith and Zaitsev, I realised that DJ smith was responsible for Zaitsev high number of defensive zone starts. Which was the reason he requested a trade because of his usage. But the coach responsible for managing his ice time has left and gone to Ottawa only for Z to by under the same coach again? am I missing something? I mean it worked out for the leaf to dump his contract, but still strange.

Well, DJ Smith is the head coach so he will have another assistant in charge of D. Besides, he will get plenty of opportunities for offensive zone starts with a team like Ottawa.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Zaitsev was left with more defensive zone starts largely because there were other guys that we preferred to have start in the offensive zone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zaitsev paired with Chabot.

Something like:
Chabot - Zaitsev
Hainsey - DeMelo
Brannstrom - Wolanin
Borowiecki - Jaros

Sep 18, 2009
Zaitsev will be exposed in Ottawa and it will become quite clear that he can't even get the puck out of the zone

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Zaitsev was left with more defensive zone starts largely because there were other guys that we preferred to have start in the offensive zone.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Zaitsev paired with Chabot.

Something like:
Chabot - Zaitsev
Hainsey - DeMelo
Brannstrom - Wolanin
Borowiecki - Jaros

Chabot-Zaitsev
Wolanin-Hainsey
Borowiecki-DeMelo
Jaros

Is my guess. Brannstrom is not NHL ready from what I saw of him in the AHL.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Zaitsev will be exposed in Ottawa and it will become quite clear that he can't even get the puck out of the zone

IDK, Chabot is a major upgrade over Gardiner for Zaitsev. He'll be able to move the puck out as long as he's allowed to move the puck out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->