Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] TOR acquires F Gabriel Gagne from OTT for F Morgan Klimchuk

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
It is going to be very comical in here when Gagne doubles his point production, (18+ in 33 games for Marlies compared to 9 in 33 with Belleville). Gagne has good potential, ceiling of a 2nd liner but will probably end up as a 3rd liner.

Reactions: NCoRe

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It is going to be very comical in here when Gagne doubles his point production, (18+ in 33 games for Marlies compared to 9 in 33 with Belleville). Gagne has good potential, ceiling of a 2nd liner but will probably end up as a 3rd liner.

Not only that. Total beastmaster, surprised weren't age page 33 yet

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Klimchuk would be buried in the depth of the roster as much as Gagne but Gagne is a bit younger and provides something that the Leafs are generally missing in the system.

Maybe he carves himself out a 4th line roll in the future but it's a long shot at this point. Even though it's a long shot, I still like the roll of the dice personally.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Klimchuk would be buried in the depth of the roster as much as Gagne but Gagne is a bit younger and provides something that the Leafs are generally missing in the system.

Maybe he carves himself out a 4th line roll in the future but it's a long shot at this point. Even though it's a long shot, I still like the roll of the dice personally.

Babcock likes players with size and the ability to play a bigger/heavy game and stylistically Gagne plays like ex-Leaf Brian Boyle, which is far more to the coaches preference.

Quite a longshot to make it to the NHL based on current development curve but at 6-5 his size might give him a greater opportunity in the future.

If he had 4 goals and 9 points in 33 AHL games at age 22 and was 5-10 instead of 6-5 the longshot label would likely be more like long gone when projecting NHL potential.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The message he's going to get... use your size, which hasn't exactly been his forte until now... but, he is still young, and perhaps can remake his game some... with good hands, size...if he can learn to use that size, he might be useful one day... otherwise...

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Babcock likes players with size and the ability to play a bigger/heavy game and stylistically Gagne plays like ex-Leaf Brian Boyle, which is far more to the coaches preference.

Quite a longshot to make it to the NHL based on current development curve but at 6-5 his size might give him a greater opportunity in the future.

If he had 4 goals and 9 points in 33 AHL games at age 22 and was 5-10 instead of 6-5 the longshot label would likely be more like long gone when projecting NHL potential.

He did score 20 goals last year in his second AHL season.. But that was with a 42% shooting percentage :laugh: I would guess he's a net front presence sort of guy

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The message he's going to get... use your size, which hasn't exactly been his forte until now... but, he is still young, and perhaps can remake his game some... with good hands, size...if he can learn to use that size, he might be useful one day... otherwise...

He is an RFA at seasons end so this last 1/2 of the Marlies season will determine if he is even Leaf property a year from now, and needs a qualifying offer and new contract beyond this year.

The Leafs drafted a bunch of smurfs in the 2015 draft, and this pickup a 2nd rounder from that same year gives them a bit of a do-over and add a player with size 6-5 and strength 215 to the prospect pool.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He did score 20 goals last year in his second AHL season.. But that was with a 42% shooting percentage :laugh: I would guess he's a net front presence sort of guy

If you stand in front of the net and pucks bounce off you because at 6-5/215 you would be hard to miss when screening the goalie it still counts for your shooting %. He could have been a runner up for the Cy Young voting last year with a 20-5 for 25 point season.

When a young rebuilding team like Ottawa is giving up on him as a prospect (as a former 2nd rounder) where his path to the NHL would be much greater/easier for them than on a strong Leafs team and a division rival to boot, that should be a factor to consider in the future potential meter and setting expectations. IMO

The cost being Morgan Klimchuk a player that has been a complete NO Show for the Leafs since they got him a month ago, is another indicator that this might be more a Marlies move to add some size to the roster than deep rooted Leafs long-term hopes.

Gagne essentially helps offset the Bracco, Timashov, Carcone, Brooks, Moore etc etc < 6' small forwards & size disadvantage that the Marlies play with nightly and give them a big bodied presence in the line-up. That is the way I'm looking at this move.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He is an RFA at seasons end so this last 1/2 of the Marlies season will determine if he is even Leaf property a year from now, and needs a qualifying offer and new contract beyond this year.

The Leafs drafted a bunch of smurfs in the 2015 draft, and this pickup a 2nd rounder from that same year gives them a bit of a do-over and add a player with size 6-5 and strength 215 to the prospect pool.
3 of the smurfs are looking good.
In 2016 and 2017, they drafted a bunch of tree trunks. They havent made the NHL.

Reactions: Liminality

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Skates surprisingly well for his size and can shoot.

I agree with other previous posters, give him the Kappanen treatment. Make him play PK and teach him the 200ft game.

If he can do both those things, he can easily be a 4th liner in the NHL.
Marchment - Goat - Gagner would be interesting.

Only thing is he has put in something like 30-40 pounds over the last 3 years and maintained his skating. This could be a case of a guy needing to get used to his new size and continuing to work on his strength to fulfill his potential.

Reactions: Cobra777

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
From what I've been reading and the reaction from the Sens posters, he may have a shot at the NHL with the Leafs.
Good skater and good shot.
May do well with the Marlies and the coaching staff.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
hopefully his game takes off in our system , his size, skating, shot are good the fundamentals are there for some success with also the hope of having the determination and hunger to improve and play with a physical edge. could be a nice edition

Reactions: Budsfan

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
He going to surprise many. He is from the same place as Gauthier aka Laval!

I don't usually have a feeling about many players traded to the Marlies but having watched some of his video's he is a decent skater and has a great shot and for a big man he may just be what we are looking for, I hope he will be with the Leafs in the near future.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I am not the one who is factually incorrect, so check yourself before you look even more ignorant...
I said sub ppg players dont amount to shit, then you go list a bunch of 4th liners, news flash, thats nothing in the context of an NHL player...........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad