Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] TOR acquires F Gabriel Gagne from OTT for F Morgan Klimchuk

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
What a write up from Elite Prospects on him. He sounds great, obviously this wouldn't be the player we are getting today as you wouldn't be able to trade Klimchuk for this. But still interesting to see what was written about him at the time of the draft:

A tall and lanky center with superb offensive instincts and a good all-around game. Skates very well for his size, and his acceleration is remarkable; his lower body strength generates a lot of power with respect to his mobility. Possesses an absolutely wicked release to his shot, as well as good hands around the net. Has shown some signs of creativity in playmaking; when he plays his game simply, hard on the forecheck, getting into prime-time scoring areas, he can be a very difficult player to contain. Defensively active in his own end - uses his long reach to knock pucks off opponents' sticks, and isn't afraid to hound and hit; able to quickly transition from defense to offense and move the puck out using his speed. All-in-all, a big-bodied, number-generating forward that has the skill and size to be a force at both ends of the ice.

EP's overly-optimistic player descriptions are fun to read. I'm not sure whether this is for Gabriel Gagne or Auston Matthews.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
He was never an OAer in the CHL...

He put up almost a PPG as a D+1 and then moved to the AHL/ECHL.
The statline sucks any way you cut it big boy. Odds of a non ppg winger making it big in the nhl are basically zero

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I liked Engvall in preseason, not that I saw a lot of offense, more he seemed fine against the boards and his skating look okay.
Very small sample size, maybe some Marlies scouts can fill in.

Could Engvall-Gauthier-Gagne be an effective AHL line?

I think I'd prefer Marchment on that line.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I liked Engvall in preseason, not that I saw a lot of offense, more he seemed fine against the boards and his skating look okay.

Carcone could be a 4th liner in camp next year tbh. He's impressed me in the AHL

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Do you mean NHL line, because there is no way Gauthier is heading back to the AHL anytime soon with the way he's been playing... He would not get waived in the first place (not over Holl or Marincin anyways), and someone would almost certainly claim him if he was.

Engvall has been solid, but not spectacular. Quite a few guys ahead of him for an NHL job next year (Moore, Grundstrom, Carcone, and possibly even Bracco and Marchment), but he should be ready to replace anyone who steps up from the AHL top 6/9 even as soon as this year.

Engvall-Greening-Gagne would likely be the AHL 4th line. However Gagne-Timashov were on the same team in the AHL and their styles do mesh well, so maybe the Marlies try to jump-start the offense on the 4th line with those two... Especially since Carcone fits well on the top line with Mueller and Bracco, and Engvall can fit in any role you put him.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Why did we trade a small skilled guy for a fridge....................

On a serious note, I like this trade, it has more upside for us, but its probably a nothing AHL deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad