Confirmed with Link: [TOR-OTT] Phaneuf/Frattin/3 Others for Michalek/Greening/Cowen/Lindberg/2nd17

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It would be a nice story to see Cowen regain his bluechip status and become a central component to the rebuild but I think it's more likely than not that he's not a good fit with the mobility, smarts, puck possession Babcock likes.

It could be the larry Murphy trade but in our favor! That would be very nice.
Cowan has the tools lets see if we can help him find a toolbox.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Extremely doubtful. He's a depth player in the sense that he can go from the AHL the to the NHL if you need a player due to injuries. Waiver fodder instead of displacing your young upside players. If the Sens put him in a top 9 role in the NHL, they are in big time trouble.

I doubt he's even in the NHL past this season. Either on a 2-way deal or probably in the SHL.

Yeah, he is 28 and outside of a 10 game span at start of the lockout shortened year where he put up 10 points, he has 25 in 125 NHL games.

I'm not seeing the 2nd line upside here.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
A team that's eligible for the lottery isn't going to move their 1st round, at least not without lottery protecting it. What the Pens did with eKessel trade will become the standard procedure - and even then I think they'll only be moved when a quality player is coming back.

I'm not sure about that Menz.

I think there is one more layer or tweak to be had here.

Right now teams are saying ," we want to protect that 1rst if we miss the POs"

but I think there is still one turn left in this road and it's not about protecting the part about qualifying for the lotto but actually winning the lotto. So in other words, the only protection or stipulation put on that 1rst is if it actually wins any of the 3 lotto spots.

but there is one thing I am unsure about and that is, are they actually allowed to stipulate a protection clause like that? seeing how the lotto draw has become must see TV and how would those logistics work?

I mean right now it seams teams are freaking out and protecting 1rsts because it could turn out to be a 14th slot , compared to a 15th slot? or is it just the worry about the % lotto chance and it's impact and optics?

TMLFAN4LIFE

Dec 11, 2006
I'm sure its been asked here before, but for clarity sake, when should we expect to see Lindberg in a Marlies uniform?

I can't remember us having this many talented prospects waiting in the pipeline. I'm so pumped for our future.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.

Slightly off topic, and i'm sure it's the case everywhere.

But personally, if I was a GM, i'd have the players all turn up shirt and tie, and probably even the same suits, with matching club ties.

Promotes the idea of unity, being a part of the same team, and also the idea that you are all one and a part of something united.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
You know, it's also not beyond the realm of possibility that Michalek, Cowen, and Greening rediscover their form in blue and white. They were all coveted by the Sens organization in the very recent past, and the potential is there in all of them.

Best case scenario: Cowen becomes a steady, reliable, stay at home defence partner for Rielly or Gardiner, Michalek stays healthy and contributes offensively in the top 6, Greening becomes an effective bottom 6 forward again and stays with the big club.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
You know, it's also not beyond the realm of possibility that Michalek, Cowen, and Greening rediscover their form in blue and white. They were all coveted by the Sens organization in the very recent past, and the potential is there in all of them.

Best case scenario: Cowen becomes a steady, reliable, stay at home defence partner for Rielly or Gardiner, Michalek stays healthy and contributes offensively in the top 6, Greening becomes an effective bottom 6 forward again and stays with the big club.

I have some koolade for you sir. Please just back away from the keyboard and slip on this comfy white jacket that ties up in the back. Hahaha
Just joking around. That would be pretty amazing. Out of that trifecta I think Michalek will be solid (injury is so tough to predict) Cowan could do well under babs (this one I give a 45% chance of happening) but greening is lost (of course nothing is impossible, they did find the Titanic)

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Slightly off topic, and i'm sure it's the case everywhere.

But personally, if I was a GM, i'd have the players all turn up shirt and tie, and probably even the same suits, with matching club ties.

Promotes the idea of unity, being a part of the same team, and also the idea that you are all one and a part of something united.

Agree, it's a classy look.
0f08f4d97b473b56bfeb1ebeb77e6b6b.jpg

Seems like something Lu would want too. The new Leafs logo on one side and team colours on the tie. Whenever I watch Liverpool and see them coming in, it just looks right - the 'team' is coming into the building.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
So his contract belongs to Ottawa but the Leafs pay his salary?

I'm not sure about who pays for Frattin, but yes basically, the Sens have the contract but the Marlies still have the player. A pretty neat way to get rid of a contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Lou found a nice loophole.

Loophole Lou.

It's not really a loophole per say It's been done before. The Marlies took a loaner a few years ago when Burke was the boss.

The loop hole here is that the Leafs keep a player that isn't apart of the contract list. That's pretty good.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure about who pays for Frattin, but yes basically, the Sens have the contract but the Marlies still have the player. A pretty neat way to get rid of a contract.

I think the rules are pretty flexible on who pays the salary but I'm assuming the Leafs are paying it in order to help facilitate the trade and ensure that Toronto is flexible against the contract cap.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think the rules are pretty flexible on who pays the salary but I'm assuming the Leafs are paying it in order to help facilitate the trade and ensure that Toronto is flexible against the contract cap.

Yeah Melnyk/Sens are super cheap and on a very fix budget. I doubt they are paying anything of that Frattin 1 way contract which is 850k.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->