Trade: [TOR/OAK] Blue Jays acquire Jesse Chavez for Liam Hendriks

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Oakland and Toronto swap players so often, how many players are on these teams that have been on both? Are we in double digits yet?

Lawrie, Graveman, Nolin, Chavez, Donaldson, Hendriks, Valencia, Venditte, ...

I don't think we used Hendriks properly last year, seemed like we wanted him to be a long man when I think he'd be solid in a higher leverage role.

Well we've got 5 starters now. Time to trade Dickey and sign a higher end guy because right now there are too many question marks with the 5 we got.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Don't love it, don't hate it. Insurance incase they don't like their options for the rotation.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hendriks was good for the Jays. Added couple ticks on the radar gun too.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Oakland and Toronto swap players so often, how many players are on these teams that have been on both? Are we in double digits yet?

Lawrie, Graveman, Nolin, Chavez, Donaldson, Hendriks, Valencia, Venditte, ...

I don't think we used Hendriks properly last year, seemed like we wanted him to be a long man when I think he'd be solid in a higher leverage role.

Well we've got 5 starters now. Time to trade Dickey and sign a higher end guy because right now there are too many question marks with the 5 we got.

I think Billy might be Toronto's Assistant GM. Jays better make room for Sonny Gray soon.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hate this deal for Toronto.

Henriks was terrific last year and his peripheral numbers were excellent (FIP of 2.14, 6.45 SO/W). He's 5 years younger than Chavez and under team control for another 5 years.

Chavez is 32 and was pounded away from Oakland last year (ERA of nearly 5.00), and has never really been very effective aside from a brief stretch at the start of 2014.

Obviously starting pitching is more important than relief pitching, but I'll take an excellent youngish reliever over a stinky old starter any day.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Hate this deal for Toronto.

Henriks was terrific last year and his peripheral numbers were excellent (FIP of 2.14, 6.45 SO/W). He's 5 years younger than Chavez and under team control for another 5 years.

Chavez is 32 and was pounded away from Oakland last year (ERA of nearly 5.00), and has never really been very effective aside from a brief stretch at the start of 2014.

Obviously starting pitching is more important than relief pitching, but I'll take an excellent youngish reliever over a stinky old starter any day.

His FIP and xFIP were both better on the road than at home.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Not crazy about this trade for Toronto. I think Chavez will get lit up as a starter in Skydome.

The cynical side of me thinks Rogers will cheap out - pretend to go after a legit number two starter in free agency for the upcoming season but come up short and issue the usual excuses ie. not the right fit, couldn't agree on terms (will the 5-year max deal bs still be in effect for pitchers?) Rogers will make the rather disingenuous claim that Chavez and the re-signing of Estrada (who pitched over his head imo) have strengthened their starting staff for next season.

Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Chavez
Hutchison/Osuna/Sanchez

That is not a playoff calibre starting rotation. Way too many ifs in their with the young pitchers and guys pitching above their peripherals.

Prove me wrong Rogers. Sign a real number 2 starter this off season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Chavez doesn't stink.

yeah chavez definitely doesn't suck

the A's were just god awful last season

'Stink' might be a strong word but he's a below-average starter who has been knocked around outside of his very pitcher-friendly home park. Do I have much confidence he'll be effective in Skydome or the AL East parks? Not really.

Doesn't seem to have a durable arm, either - started very well the last two years and was then pretty much pounded after May 31.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Not crazy about this trade for Toronto. I think Chavez will get lit up as a starter in Skydome.

The cynical side of me thinks Rogers will cheap out - pretend to go after a legit number two starter in free agency for the upcoming season but come up short and issue the usual excuses ie. not the right fit, couldn't agree on terms (will the 5-year max deal bs still be in effect for pitchers?) Rogers will make the rather disingenuous claim that Chavez and the re-signing of Estrada (who pitched over his head imo) have strengthened their starting staff for next season.

Stroman
Estrada
Dickey
Chavez
Hutchison/Osuna/Sanchez

That is not a playoff calibre starting rotation. Way too many ifs in their with the young pitchers and guys pitching above their peripherals.

Prove me wrong Rogers. Sign a real number 2 starter this off season.

If you're concerned about the guys pitching above their peripherals (Estrada and Dickey), then you should be be confident in the guys pitching below them (Chavez and Hutchison).

That rotation is mediocre. There's some risk and some upside there. Mediocre is also good enough to get into the playoffs when you have far and away the best offensive team in the league.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
If you're concerned about the guys pitching above their peripherals (Estrada and Dickey), then you should be be confident in the guys pitching below them (Chavez and Hutchison).

That rotation is mediocre. There's some risk and some upside there. Mediocre is also good enough to get into the playoffs when you have far and away the best offensive team in the league.

Accepting a mediocre rotation is exactly what Rogers wants us to do.. Just be happy with what we get. How about they actually go out and spend some of that 40-50 million dollar profit they made from Aug-Oct and get a legit ace/#2

People flocked to the RC, bought the beer, bought the jerseys, hats, merchandise, food etc etc etc...all we ask is Rogers return the favour and put it back into the team. I am scared ****less Rogers is going to go cheap again and pocket most of it and make excuses like they did before this past year.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Accepting a mediocre rotation is exactly what Rogers wants us to do.. Just be happy with what we get. How about they actually go out and spend some of that 40-50 million dollar profit they made from Aug-Oct and get a legit ace/#2

People flocked to the RC, bought the beer, bought the jerseys, hats, merchandise, food etc etc etc...all we ask is Rogers return the favour and put it back into the team. I am scared ****less Rogers is going to go cheap again and pocket most of it and make excuses like they did before this past year.

Nowhere did I say I would be happy going into the season with that rotation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad