Proposal: (TOR/NYR) Help me build this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's not a bad contract by any means. He got hurt last year and is going to be playing big minutes for them. If he gives the Rangers even 40 points it's a decent deal considering he left money on the table elsewhere.

I understand Toronto doesn't need him and I'm not even commenting on that, just the part of his contract being "bad." It's simply not.

Not denying "points" are important, but is he really a good defencemen worthy of 6.4m? Teams often pay too much for UFAs, and often pay too much for points (for any player). All Shatterkirk can do is play the best he can, and if it's at a 5m level or 7m, it really doesn't matter. It's his production on the ice that is important now.....like any other player.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Not denying "points" are important, but is he really a good defencemen worthy of 6.4m? Teams often pay too much for UFAs, and often pay too much for points (for any player). All Shatterkirk can do is play the best he can, and if it's at a 5m level or 7m, it really doesn't matter. It's his production on the ice that is important now.....like any other player.

PM RHD are unicorns in the NHL. Shatty took less term and salary to play in NY.

He’s a legitimate, premier PP QB in hockey.

There are 31 teams in the League. There are about 5~7 comparable players on this planet that are on Shatty’s level offensively from the blue line.

He’s worth every penny on his contract.

Reactions: Monument

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
because he's over 23 years old and has a contract, by HF logic that makes it an albatross
Nope. It’s clearly because he’s going bald.

5toh8toxkm9z.jpg

Reactions: Monument

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Who said the Leafs can not win in the playoffs with the new roster? I believe they can win and I am sure many people agree with this.

Sandin and Liljegren looked awesome in camp. Solid pairing. They could up with the Leafs as early as next season. They are going to be Toronto’s Swedish D pairing. Both 1st rounders.

Positive outlook. Leafs can win in the playoffs but their D is average. Team D needs to be improved if the Leafs are going on deep playoff runs. Leafs are going to destroy bottom 20 NHL teams but it's going to be a different story when they face another team with a solid offense and also a solid defense.

Sandin and Liljegren are solid fringe grade A prospects and above average grade B prospects. They can possibly make the NHL next year but what are the Leafs needs? It's reliable defenseman, not rookies learning on the job.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Toronto needs another d-man to be able to win in the playoffs, NY needs future pieces because they're simply horrible, similarly to my habs.

This is just a spitball starter idea, so help me out with my first proposal,

Could something be built around a Kevin Shattenkirk for a Liljegren of Sandin?

Toronto has a large window as long as they can keep the big forwards around, so they have time to wait for their d prospects to develop, but they need to push for a win now while everybody is on board.

As for contract situations, I know the Rangers are tight for cap space, if they were to retain say $1 million or $1.5 mil, and the Leafs threw in their 1st, could the wheels turn a bit?

Help me out here
There's no deal to be had.

That's all the help you will get or need.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Leafs need a defensive beast that logs a lot of minutes and can play with Rielly on the top pairing to help him out defensibly. Shattenkirk is not the guy.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

slg1963

Jan 23, 2015
Canada
Leafs need a defensive beast that logs a lot of minutes and can play with Rielly on the top pairing to help him out defensibly. Shattenkirk is not the guy.
Yes that is what the team is in need of but trying to find one is a different story , and besides Leaf fans do not want to give up anyone of value to get back someone of value.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron

Leafs are banking on Ozhignokov being NHL good this year. I know many folks think the Leafs (and all teams) need a "stud" Dman, I really don't. IMO what you need is 6 or 7 competent NHL. Dman and some of those guys have be better than average.
Someone has to take some more PK minutes. It can't just be Hainsey, Reilly and Hainsey
Leafs really have the same defence as last year, with just Ozzie replacing Polak/Carrick. We'll see how it goes.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Leafs had the 2nd best PP in the league last year, and were probably one of 2-3 teams that had two 50+ point defensemen.

They don't need Shattenkirk at all. They need a guy that can reliably eat up difficult defensive minutes, PK minutes, etc. Shattenkirk gets very very sheltered minutes, and still struggles at even-strength.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes that is what the team is in need of but trying to find one is a different story , and besides Leaf fans do not want to give up anyone of value to get back someone of value.

Leafs fans will learn it's hard to address holes in the line-up through trades. Leafs looking for a RD is the New Habs looking for a top 2 center :sarcasm:.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

What comparable 40-50 point defenders that have hit UFA status are making less than $6 million? You have to take a look at the going rate before making statements like that.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
He was the third best RHD in last season with Blues. He's a good PP guy, but really he's no better than average at even strength.
Yea, it's not good a contract for the Rangers, maybe not a bad contract though. Certainly he isn't needed by the Leafs.
and even at average I'd consider that an over-statement

to get Liljgren, NYR would need to retain quite a bit on Shattenkirk 's contract

3headeddragon

Sep 27, 2017
Kitchener
Toronto needs another d-man to be able to win in the playoffs, NY needs future pieces because they're simply horrible, similarly to my habs.

This is just a spitball starter idea, so help me out with my first proposal,

Could something be built around a Kevin Shattenkirk for a Liljegren of Sandin?

Toronto has a large window as long as they can keep the big forwards around, so they have time to wait for their d prospects to develop, but they need to push for a win now while everybody is on board.

As for contract situations, I know the Rangers are tight for cap space, if they were to retain say $1 million or $1.5 mil, and the Leafs threw in their 1st, could the wheels turn a bit?

Help me out here

Toronto needs cheap/cost controlled good players to supplement their line up to keep their core. So trading good prospects for immediate help is only going to speed up the process of having to trade core players because they would then need to use ufa to fill out their roster. What Toronto can afford to trade away isn't enough to get a good enough upgrade. They might as well keep going the way they are.

mking098

Jul 13, 2018

That is exactly the point though. The value isn't there for the leafs.

Shattenkirk has a lot of value for teams looking for what he offers. The leafs aren't aren't weak in the areas he would stand to improve the team. Would be be an upgrade over Gardiner on the PP? Sure, but that kind of upgrade isn't enough of a need to warrant giving away one of the leafs top 2 D prospect. It is that simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->