Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
One more comment about Andreas Johnsson.

NJD exposed him to Seattle and they chose someone else (yes someone better).

I don't know a lot about Anderson, but what a wasted asset Johnsson was. Dubas must have known his real worth, but he struggled a lot. He got paid probably twice what he was worth.

There is a silver lining though:

Someone equally mediocre could replace AJ, and get the same production with Matthews/Nylander.

We'll see...

Reactions: The Iceman

tony135420

Jul 30, 2007

I don't know a lot about Anderson, but what a wasted asset Johnsson was. Dubas must have known his real worth, but he struggled a lot. He got paid probably twice what he was worth.

Someone equally mediocre could replace AJ, and get the same production with Matthews/Nylander.

We'll see...

I really like Anderson. He has potential to be a good bottom 6 regular and I expect he'll push for a roster spot this season.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I really like Anderson. He has potential to be a good bottom 6 regular and I expect he'll push for a roster spot this season.

The benefit of having a low cap hit on the Leafs is you already have an advantage over a guy who is competing for a roster spot. Engvall would probably not have a Leafs roster spot if Dubas had $20 mil in cap space with 4 people to sign.

Reactions: ottomaddox

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007

I found him to be too much of a lightweight to play the role I think we need him for...hope I am wrong.
Trevor Moore was a lighweight that played large for example (Ask Chara). Not what i saw in Anderson.

As for roster construction. A goal I had for the team in past years is create enough depth that GOAT and Marincin were comfortably down the depth chart/AHL. This year that guy for me is Brooks. I just don't see him as a NHL talent. I do not want him on the opening day roster. Once again, hope I am wrong but he is one guy I thought Hallinder could jump on the depth chart.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Just be happy that the cost of moving out Johnsson wasn't a net negative. Look at the cost for Philly to move that always overrated Ghost rover. Joey Anderson seems to be future replacement level type of forward.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Just be happy that the cost of moving out Johnsson wasn't a net negative. Look at the cost for Philly to move that always overrated Ghost rover. Joey Anderson seems to be future replacement level type of forward.

Keep in mind Leafs dealt their 1st round pick with Patrick Marleau in order to regain cap space to re-sign RFA's Kapanen and Andres Johnsson to their current deals.

A season later when cap space issues arose again the Leafs dealt Kapanen to get a 1st round pick back to undue the Marleau trade, only a few spots later in the same draft, and Hallander (whom was dealt back to Pens for McCann) who was now lost in expansion. Which now turns out the Leafs dealt Kapanen a roster player to move back 2 spots in the draft for 13th to 15th).

AJ was dealt for Joey Anderson, so the hope is that Anderson becomes a NHL player of some significance otherwise this whole thing turns out to be a net negative. Johnsson was a 20 goal scorer for the Leafs so it will be interesting to see if Joey Anderson can match that in time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PromisedLand

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix

We'll see...
Anderson is actually a decent prospect and projects to crack the Leafs this year or next... he just turned 23. Getting him for AJ was a solid return.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
I found him to be too much of a lightweight to play the role I think we need him for...hope I am wrong.
Trevor Moore was a lighweight that played large for example (Ask Chara). Not what i saw in Anderson.

As for roster construction. A goal I had for the team in past years is create enough depth that GOAT and Marincin were comfortably down the depth chart/AHL. This year that guy for me is Brooks. I just don't see him as a NHL talent. I do not want him on the opening day roster. Once again, hope I am wrong but he is one guy I thought Hallinder could jump on the depth chart.
He's 6' and 190 lbs... he's not a physical beast, but he's also not a lightweight and plays a heavy game at times.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
Keep in mind Leafs dealt their 1st round pick with Patrick Marleau in order to regain cap space to re-sign RFA's Kapanen and Andres Johnsson to their current deals.

A season later when cap space issues arose again the Leafs dealt Kapanen to get a 1st round pick back to undue the Marleau trade, only a few spots later in the same draft, and Hallander (whom was dealt back to Pens for McCann) who was now lost in expansion. Which now turns out the Leafs dealt Kapanen a roster player to move back 2 spots in the draft for 13th to 15th).

AJ was dealt for Joey Anderson, so the hope is that Anderson becomes and NHL player otherwise this whole thing turns out to be a net negative.

A player was always going for free in the expansion draft.

Why do you insist on omitting key details and lying?

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
What does Anderson do well on the ice what are a list of his strengths?
In what I've seen from him, he's a Hyman type player. Here, I pulled this from Google:

"Anderson isn’t a big player but he makes up for it by playing a high level of energy. This allows him to win races to pucks in the corner and battle for position along the boards which helps create space for his linemates to generate scoring opportunities. That high-octane play style allows him to fly down the ice with ease and get in position for either a scoring chance or to defend. The Leafs seem to value quality skaters, which is especially true in today’s NHL, so it’s encouraging for him to have good foot speed at this stage of his development.

He’s also got a wicked shot that can easily fool a goaltender, which he has shown off a few times during his brief appearances in the NHL."

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
What does Anderson do well on the ice what are a list of his strengths?

Joey Anderson Stats, Profile, Bio, Analysis and More | Toronto Maple Leafs | The Sports Forecaster

Ht/Wt : 5'11", 190 lbs.
Born : Jun 19, 1998 (23 yrs) in Roseville, MN
Experience : 2 years
Drafted : Drafted by New Jersey in 2016 (3/73).
Acquired : Acquired in a trade with New Jersey in 2020.
Shoots : R

Cap: $750,000

SCOUTING REPORT
Displays plenty of energy on the ice, and wins his fair share of battles in the corners at all levels. Complements talented forwards with aplomb and owns an excellent shot himself. Must prove capable of producing top-six winger numbers at the National Hockey League level. Will also need to add more bulk for longevity purposes in the NHL down the road.
Long Range Potential : Energetic, complementary winger with some upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Sounds like a Kerfoot clone.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
It looks like Johnsson hasn't returned to form following his knee surgery. They got out of his contract at the right time. It seemed they undersold on him at the time, but Johnsson has quickly become a negative value asset in New Jersey.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It looks like Johnsson hasn't returned to form following his knee surgery. They got out of his contract at the right time. It seemed they undersold on him at the time, but Johnsson has quickly become a negative value asset in New Jersey.

I thought he scored very little for someone playing so much with top end players. I wanted him traded after his big year. The potential of AJ would have netted you a lot more than Joey did.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018

AJ was dealt for Joey Anderson, so the hope is that Anderson becomes and NHL player otherwise this whole thing turns out to be a net negative.
Unsurprisingly, you're completely ignoring the value of having those players for the time we did, the fact that the Marleau trade was about more than just Kapanen and Johnsson, the fact that the expansion draft necessitated an asset loss for everybody, and the fact that the global pandemic-induced flat cap caused those "cap space issues" that required a change of plans for pretty much everybody in the league.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

AJ was dealt for Joey Anderson, so the hope is that Anderson becomes a NHL player of some significance otherwise this whole thing turns out to be a net negative. Johnsson was a 20 goal scorer for the Leafs so it will be interesting to see if Joey Anderson can match that in time.

The year we traded Marleau and the 1st was also the year we re-signed Matthews, Marner, and Muzzin, wasn't it? Why do you only bring up Kapanen and Johnsson?

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
and the fact that the global pandemic-induced flat cap caused those "cap space issues" that required a change of plans for pretty much everybody in the league.

While I won't give the Leafs a pass for being so outplayed in contract negotiations (seriously, how the hell does Nylander get $10million for doing absolutely nothing? That deal is the reason everyone is asking for such huge contracts from the Leafs), I mostly agree with the flat cap situation. The Leafs ended up being right about the new TV contract: it tripled. That would have been a nice cap boost, so it was a safe bet the cap would have gone up. Nobody could have predicted the pandemic.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
While I won't give the Leafs a pass for being so outplayed in contract negotiations (seriously, how the hell does Nylander get $10million for doing absolutely nothing? That deal is the reason everyone is asking for such huge contracts from the Leafs), I mostly agree with the flat cap situation. The Leafs ended up being right about the new TV contract: it tripled. That would have been a nice cap boost, so it was a safe bet the cap would have gone up. Nobody could have predicted the pandemic.

?? What am I missing here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->