Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The odds of him developing into a Hyman type are extremely low
Hyman is going to get paid. If not by us then by someone else. He’ll be overpaid too, people are going to hate him Just like they/we hated Marner and Nylander, and they are close to “franchise” players. We need the Anderson types to fill in the bottom of the roster because we can’t afford much. I think Hyman will get a big chuck of Goalie Andersen’s cash. Rant complete.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
That Johnsson trade is looking better and better as time progresses.

No matter what Joey Anderson contributes to to the Leafs, Andreas Jonsson looks very much like a very fortunate salary dump in this deal now.

Johnsson is having a very unproductive year. One thing I remember about him is that he mentioned at one time that he was looking for a girlfriend. Maybe he found one -- or didn't -- and that has some bearing on his performance on the ice. Whatever is going on, he's not producing.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Johnsson also had Covid earlier in the year so he probably deserves a little bit of the benefit of the doubt but not much. We sold 'high' on him at a good time. That said, Joey Anderson might not be much of a return and with the amount of picks that went out at the deadline a draft pick would have been preferable.

That Dermott and Johnsson for Weegar trade is looking like a missed opportunity, though not sure how the cap hit would have worked.

It would have meant no Brodie. Definitely an interesting what if. But I'm fine with it was it happened

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Johnsson is still a very good possession player, he was never going to produce offense in a vaccuum (aka, New Jersey) but his production at all levels including the NHL doesn't just evaporate unless there is lingering issues from injuries.

I think if you switched the Johnsson and Kapanen trade destinations, we would be talking about Johnsson excelling and Kapanen would be the "bust".

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
Johnsson, a dime a dozen. No better than the Mason raymonds, clarke macarthurs, pa parentaus, glad they made this trade

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
The odds of him developing into a Hyman type are extremely low
I dont expect him to but he plays a similar style. Thick kid that plays with energy. He most likely ends up a bottom six energy guy but he might have just enough skill to be a complimentary guy on any line.

Even if he tops out as a bottom 6 guy, the trade was still worth it being able to sign Brodie

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Devils gave the leafs cap relief for nothing in return. Dubas botched the trio 3m contacts he gave Kerfoot, Kapanen, and Johnsson. Hopefully this summer we've rid ourselves of the last of it.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I think I'd rather get a pick back. Anderson seems like one of those players who is not skilled enough for a top 6 role and not tough enough for a bottom six role.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I think Kapanen was more like MacArthur while Johnsson was more like Jason Blake.

Totally backwards IMO.

Kapanen and Blake = all wheels, no tools or toolbox.
Johnsson and MacArthur = Not very talented but good mind for the game, worked hard, bit of grit.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's too bad Andreas Johnsson didn't work out here in Toronto. A 20 goal 40 point rookie year could have translated into a pretty good $3 million player if he had kept growing. Maybe having come so far to make the NHL he didn't have much more growth? On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to Toronto one day on a cheap contract.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It's too bad Andreas Johnsson didn't work out here in Toronto. A 20 goal 40 point rookie year could have translated into a pretty good $3 million player if he had kept growing. Maybe having come so far to make the NHL he didn't have much more growth? On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if he came back to Toronto one day on a cheap contract.
Yeah no too injury prone too one dimensional

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Hes playing on a garbage team. He had tons of support here.

I think new coach has more to do with it. Most of their skilled offensive players took a step back while guys like Wood, Zacha, and Zajac are having their best years in a long time.

Might also be the injury too. Unlike most other guys who did not play for a while, he also could not train for much of the time he was off, so he was that much more delayed relative to his peers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->