Confirmed with Link: [TOR/NJD] Andreas Johnsson for Joey Anderson

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I think in a vacuum AJ could have done a lot better under Keefe with the Leafs .. However cap hit and the Leafs' need to bring in more size/grit/leadership in the forward group and upgrading the defense took precedent.

AJ's looking like he'll journey around a few NHL teams. Bet he still has a couple of 20 goal seasons in him with the right coach/team if he stays healthy.

Outside of the Kapanen trade, the market for wingers last off-season was quite dry. Trades weren't yielding much.

DuncanMacpherson

Apr 6, 2010
AJ has 8 pts in 41 games making 3.4M. We haven't exactly lost the trade. Freeing up that cap space allowed us to Sign T.J. Brodie who is arguably our best D man.

Anderson is younger and still has potential to be a Hyman type for us.
The odds of him developing into a Hyman type are extremely low

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Johnsson has been putrid and makes huge money

That alone makes this trade a win.

Anderson has been very good. He’s 22 with 7 goals in 20 games on a garbage team. He’s a puck hound and going to be a solid nhler soon.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Johnsson's NHL numbers are associated with being a complimentary winger to superstar linemates. There are no superstar linemates for anyone on the Devils to ride shotgun next to. Unfortunately for Johnsson and the Devils he doesn't drive scoring on a line and apparently never will.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The odds of him developing into a Hyman type are extremely low

That's a two sided coin. The odds of *any* player developing into a Hyman type on a Hyman curve are extremely low. But the kicker is that the odds of Anderson doing it are higher than they were for Hyman.

Current Hyman is a pie in the sky fantasy, but early (30 point work horse) Hyman... there's an okay shot

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
How about the Leafs launch Thornton and Simmonds into the sun and play Anderson and Robertson instead?
Because the players appreciate both of them much more than they would benefit from whatever marginal increase in productivity we may see from those 2.

There is a reason why Foligno wanted to come here - well, a few reasons, but 97 and 19 are 2 big reasons.
Simmonds is the type of player we needed many more of in the playoffs over the last few years. Now that we got one, we're going to dump him?

The team can score just fine, they need the experience and grit that has been sorely lacking for years and years.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Because the players appreciate both of them much more than they would benefit from whatever marginal increase in productivity we may see from those 2.

There is a reason why Foligno wanted to come here - well, a few reasons, but 97 and 19 are 2 big reasons.
Simmonds is the type of player we needed many more of in the playoffs over the last few years. Now that we got one, we're going to dump him?

The team can score just fine, they need the experience and grit that has been sorely lacking for years and years.

About Wayne. I don’t think he brought anything of what I expected in terms of energy and feistiness. HE just looks awful out there.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
About Wayne. I don’t think he brought anything of what I expected in terms of energy and feistiness. HE just looks awful out there.
If only he didn't injure that wrist and missed 6 weeks! I think he remains feisty but highly doubt his wrist is anywhere ready for fisticuffs is what I'm thinking.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Johnsson also had Covid earlier in the year so he probably deserves a little bit of the benefit of the doubt but not much. We sold 'high' on him at a good time. That said, Joey Anderson might not be much of a return and with the amount of picks that went out at the deadline a draft pick would have been preferable.

That Dermott and Johnsson for Weegar trade is looking like a missed opportunity, though not sure how the cap hit would have worked.

Reactions: uncleben

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
I may have been in the minority, but I was happy when AJ and KK were both dealt.

I saw them as players feeding off and not helping players like Marner, Nylander, Matthews, Tavares.
Give me 100 players of the exact same qualities as those 2 but making $1M to $1.5M.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Did you not watch any of his first 10 games before injury?
Am I missing something?

He wasn't good first 7-9 games, he had one good fight against Montreal, that's it. Then he picked up some steam then he scuekd again. He fought Jordy Benn and after hitting a player half of his size. That's the only hit I remember from him. He doesn't even hit anymore. That can't be because of his wrist is it?

That small sample shouldn't be your barometer. Look at his numbers for past 4 years. He hasn't been good, because he's not very good.

We have to stop for players to " come around'. We do this every year. Some players are gonna come around beacuse all of sudden it's playoffs

Before anyone says, well he played for bad teams. Well maybe the teams are bad beacuse of bad players

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Did you not watch any of his first 10 games before injury?
Am I missing something?

I thought Wayne Simmonds wasn't very good for the first little bit but found his game basically the week he got injured. Took a while for him to ramp up. With the team in 1st I guess they want to let him find his game in time for the playoffs hope he's in peak form when it matters.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
He wasn't good first 7-9 games, he had one good fight against Montreal, that's it. Then he picked up some steam then he scuekd again. He fought Jordy Benn and after hitting a player half of his size. That's the only hit I remember from him. He doesn't even hit anymore. That can't be because of his wrist is it?

That small sample shouldn't be your barometer. Look at his numbers for past 4 years. He hasn't been good, because he's not very good.

We have to stop for players to " come around'. We do this every year. Some players are gonna come around beacuse all of sudden it's playoffs

Before anyone says, well he played for bad teams. Well maybe the teams are bad beacuse of bad players

Were you expecting him to come in and score 40 goals?
He had 5 goals in 10 games.

The guy was not brought in to be an offensive threat.
He was brought in to be nasty, dirty, and a pain in the ass in the playoffs.

This team has been completely pushed around in the playoffs for years and years, and we have pined for an abrasive player who wasn't useless on the ice.

If we rely on Simmonds to score goals, the team has already lost the game/series.
It's that simple.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Were you expecting him to come in and score 40 goals?
He had 5 goals in 10 games.

The guy was not brought in to be an offensive threat.
He was brought in to be nasty, dirty, and a pain in the ass in the playoffs.

This team has been completely pushed around in the playoffs for years and years, and we have pined for an abrasive player who wasn't useless on the ice.

If we rely on Simmonds to score goals, the team has already lost the game/series.
It's that simple.

and he has done that? that nasty dirty game?

He hasnt come anywhere close to that. You don't need your wrists for that, willingness

You think just because it's playoffs, a player who can't skate, has no offensive insinct he's going to grow a pair of skating skates. you think tha'ts how life works

I had more faith in Clifford for that. At least Clifford could skate a bit.

Did you see last game? where he had opportunity to pass the puck twice on 2 on 1 and missed both times? it's plays like that cost you games

Just another Leafs fan who's hoping for the glory days of a player who has passed his glory days

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
and he has done that? that nasty dirty game?

He hasnt come anywhere close to that. You don't need your wrists for that, willingness

You think just because it's playoffs, a player who can't skate, has no offensive insinct he's going to grow a pair of skating skates. you think tha'ts how life works

I had more faith in Clifford for that. At least Clifford could skate a bit.

Did you see last game? where he had opportunity to pass the puck twice on 2 on 1 and missed both times? it's plays like that cost you games

Just another Leafs fan who's hoping for the glory days of a player who has passed his glory days

We haven't seen him play a playoff game in Toronto yet. So....we don't know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->