Proposal: TOR-MTL (Weber)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Not looking to go nuclear here by trading a bunch of core pieces but think that the Leafs might want to look at what is available to tweak the roster this summer. Wanting to throw this out there and see what needs to be done, if anything to alter it.

Leafs 1st (2018)
Brown/Kapanen - Habs choice
Martin (cap)
Bracco/Nielsen - Habs choice
Zaitsev (replacement RHD - equals out term)

for

Weber (no retention)
Shaw (1M retention)
Deslauriers

Rationale for the retention was Martin's contract ends sooner but it has been out there previously that Montreal was looking to maybe move on from his contract. I'm probably more into acquiring Weber then most Leaf fans so they might not necessarily be into the move but they can start their own thread :)

All that being said, yay/nay/tweak ?

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
lol wut

weber is still a pretty solid dman...he's not beign moved for a bunch of nothing

He does have 8 years left on his contract though and will be 33 in August. At some point decline hits, then what? Just thinking that if I were in that position and looking at where Montreal is, would it make more sense to acquire some assets now?

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
replace brown/kapanen with nylander/marner and you have the value but still dont see habs doing it, because whats the point of being loaded up front with D that totally sucks? you end up getting swept first round by Boston, although maybe with Price its possible to advance a little farther.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
replace brown/kapanen with nylander/marner and you have the value but still dont see habs doing it, because whats the point of being loaded up front with D that totally sucks? you end up getting swept first round by Boston, although maybe with Price its possible to advance a little farther.

I'd expect a better defenseman then Weber if we were going to trade either of those players though, or at the very least you could turn back the clock 5 years on him.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I figured it wouldn't take long for a TO/Weber trade proposal would come up after today but I'd rather go more quality than quantity if he's on the move

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
By the time you guys get back to the 1st round, Weber will me a mid-late thirties, overpaid, and on the decline.

I dont know what to feel about this deal, but Weber contract kills a ton of his value.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Actually come to think of it.

I'd rather just wait until Borgman, Liljegren, and Dermott settle in. Our Dcore of the future isnt nearly as bleak as many put it out to be.

Reactions: Walshy7

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
"When you're offered Shea Weber you don't ask for more"
*Marc Bergevin

Ha, good sense of humor.

I just can't wrap my head around offering much more then this (also we're taking Shaw in this deal too) when there is no telling Weber hits the "wall". At some point that contract is going to really suck which is where I don't see Marner or Nylander in the conversation. If Weber was 25-26? Sure.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Ha, good sense of humor.

I just can't wrap my head around offering much more then this (also we're taking Shaw in this deal too) when there is no telling Weber hits the "wall". At some point that contract is going to really suck which is where I don't see Marner or Nylander in the conversation. If Weber was 25-26? Sure.
Shaw has some value, maybe swap him with Lolzner and make it a 2019 1st as we have a bunch of early 2nds this year already. Zaitsev scares me a little too, not sure if he's actually a plus, Leivo maybe instead

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Shaw has some value, maybe swap him with Lolzner and make it a 2019 1st as we have a bunch of early 2nds this year already. Zaitsev scares me a little too, not sure if he's actually a plus, Leivo maybe instead

Zaitsev would be mandatory to offset some term we'd be taking on. 2019 1st is acceptable, we could add a 2018 pick as well but a later one.

2019 1st
2018 4th
Zaitsev
Martin
Brown/Kapanen - your choice
Bracco/Nielsen/Leivo - your choice

Weber (no retention)
Shaw (1M retained)
Deslaurier

Gained additional pick and added Leivo as an option for you guys and the 2019 1st is now there in place of the 2018 1st.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Zaitsev scares us too. That's a lot of commitment to take on. You can't expect them to remove him in exchange for a 925Kx1Yr deal and add Alzner. That my friend is overkill.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Zaitsev scares us too. That's a lot of commitment to take on. You can't expect them to remove him in exchange for a 925Kx1Yr deal and add Alzner. That my friend is overkill.

We ultimately take on the most term in the deal. Zaitsev-Weber term basically cancels out, Shaw sees us adding term. Only other thing would be how long prospect and/or Kappy/Brown last in Montreal with term. Obviously a 1st could be there for a while if Montreal hits it out of the park.

broc

Dec 20, 2010
Weber is already on the decline.

Add in the PTSD he’d have developed playing in Mtl, and his heinous extra long term contract... he probably has negative value for 3/4 of his contract.

Lol to whoever wrote a Marner or Nylander would have to be included. The fact you guys traded PK straight up for him shows your GM is already not winning any trades, let alone getting fair market value. Looool

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We ultimately take on the most term in the deal. Zaitsev-Weber term basically cancels out, Shaw sees us adding term. Only other thing would be how long prospect and/or Kappy/Brown last in Montreal with term. Obviously a 1st could be there for a while if Montreal hits it out of the park.
Yeah tough to make the deal with Zaitsev in there, drop him and Shaw out of it and we'll give you back the 2nd we stole from you in the Pleks deal - sorry about that one, maybe all his power was in his goatee or he left his heart (and balls) in Montreal...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah tough to make the deal with Zaitsev in there, drop him and Shaw out of it and we'll give you back the 2nd we stole from you in the Pleks deal - sorry about that one, maybe all his power was in his goatee or he left his heart (and balls) in Montreal...

1st 2019
4th 2018
Brown/Kappy
Martin
Your choice of Bracco/Nielsen/Leivo (assuming you're taking Leivo at this point?)

for

Weber
Deslaurier
2nd 2018 (Leafs) returned

?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Weber is already on the decline.

Add in the PTSD he’d have developed playing in Mtl, and his heinous extra long term contract... he probably has negative value for 3/4 of his contract.

Lol to whoever wrote a Marner or Nylander would have to be included. The fact you guys traded PK straight up for him shows your GM is already not winning any trades, let alone getting fair market value. Looool
He wins the garbage trades hands down, he's got a nose for bottom line players just like he was

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Looking at Montreal's D, they could use somebody to eat those minutes. If he is healthy and used on the PP it is possible he could lead Montreal's D in scoring.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Looking at Montreal's D, they could use somebody to eat those minutes. If he is healthy and used on the PP it is possible he could lead Montreal's D in scoring.
If he was lefty sure but Petry did very well playing the big minutes on the right side 2nd half

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

Okay- appreciate the civil discussion on here :)

If he was lefty sure but Petry did very well playing the big minutes on the right side 2nd half

Not so much a knock on Petry but more who is going to play on the right side after Petry on 2nd and 3rd pairing if this hypothetical deal happened? I figured MTL has the depth to cover for Shaw if he went but not sure what is really after Petry. Juulsen going into the fire?

Either way, it's done lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad