Trade: [TOR/MIN] Jose Berrios for Austin Martin and Simeon Woods-Richardson

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Martinez dominance at 19 versus Martin's lackluster start in AA at 22 (compared to the hype)...I think made this an easier decision for the Jays. Martin should be good but the power is a concern right now and with SWR's difficulties since the spin rate crackdown, I don't hate it even though it was more than I expected.
He has played 55 games in the minors. He skipped -A and A and started the season with a hand injury.
Martin is a much better prospect than a lot of Jays fans are trying to justify right now.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
He has played 55 games in the minors. He skipped -A and A and started the season with a hand injury.
Martin is a much better prospect than a lot of Jays fans are trying to justify right now.
Hes an excellent prospect. But he isn't can't miss like some seem to think.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I like the pickup, but that is way too high a price to pay for a #2 pitcher with 1.5 years of control. Plus the Jays will be lucky to snag the #2 Wild Card spot this year.

The Stroman trade looks like a complete bust for the Shatkins regime.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Martin is an A-level prospect but they got a young player in his prime with some term. Really, the Dodgers were the only other team to give up premium prospects and it is no coincidence that Trea Turner is under Dodger control until the end of next year. Almost all the other big names (Rizzo, Bryant, etc.,) are all rentals for 2021 only.

My Best-Carey

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Regardless how one wants to judge the two prospects' development so far, this is a steep price for Berrios. But I think this is defensible for the Blue Jays, improving their chance this year (albeit a small one) and for the next. Berrios is reliably good, so we can almost put a compensatory pick in 2023 in the equation.

There must also be a certain factor for bigger markets in "going for it", which is difficult for us to gauge, but I am sure it exists. Therefore I like the move for Toronto, even if the Twins get a very nice return.

Gruß,
BSHH

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad