Trade: [TOR/MEM] Marc Gasol for C.J. Miles, Delon Wright, Jonas Valanciunas, and 2024 2nd

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Was just about to post about this.....I'll wait on the deets before commenting.

Said in another thread that I think Lowry's on his way out the door today, I wonder if he's involved here. Heard rumous of it being a three-team deal that would see Lowry end up in Utah. :dunno:

Could be JV on the move as well. Sucks because he JUST getting back to full health here in Toronto.

Reactions: irunthepeg

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
raps had to do something with philly and the bucks making moves

gasol and ibaka is a pretty good frontline

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Very interesting. I think Gasol's skill set fits in well with what the Raptors want to do. He can play both inside and out on offense and defend big men inside. Both JV and Ibaka could each only do one of those things. As good as JV has been this season, he has been tough to play in the playoffs at times and we know the Raptors have tried to move him previously but couldn't because of the contract.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's essentially the same money going out as coming in.

Not sure I would have made this move if I'm Toronto for a 34 year old Gasol

If Kawhi leaves, Toronto’s in the clear after next season capwise even if Gasol opts in. I like that they’re going all in to try to set a new high-water-mark for the franchise this year...even if they end up in a mini rebuild around OG & Siakan, in two years.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
With the Philly and Milwaukee making moves they had to do something especially considering this might be their only shot with Leonard and it doesn't help retaining him if they sat back.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
That's a hell of a haul for the Grizzlies.

Lol what? The biggest piece going to Memphis is Delon Wright, who's likely best suited as a 6th man.

Having said that, not sure I love this trade for the Raptors. Gasol is an upgrade over Ibaka, but not a huge one. They now have a logjam up front with Siakam, Gasol and Ibaka. Personally, I would have taken a shot at Conley instead of Gasol. Lowry is clearly declining and he controls the ball too much.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
If Kawhi leaves, Raptors are going scorched earth. Lowry/Ibaka are free agents in 2020 so the cap will be clear. Now was the time to make an upgrade and they likely wouldnt of kept JV around during a rebuild anyhow.

The leagues best bench got weaker but at least they didnt lose guys like OG or VanVleet.

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008
If they can somehow make a Lowry+ for Conley swap, I'd say they'd be the favourites for the Finals.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
It's essentially the same money going out as coming in.

Not sure I would have made this move if I'm Toronto for a 34 year old Gasol

Odds of Kawhi resigning in Toronto are slim to none.

I'm not sure if this move makes them better either as they may have been able to get out of the East as is. But I understand going all-in

kanuck87

Oct 12, 2008

Doesn't seem likely, now. Memphis doesn't want Lowry, at least not at the cost of Conley.

Which sucks for Toronto since Lowry could be the one player that keeps the Raptors from making it to the Finals. Still play too much iso-ball for my liking.

A guy like Conley, who works to set up the half-court offense, would be a huge addition to that offense

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Meh.

Loved JV.

Gasol is old. He'll be an upgrade this year, but that's about it.

The Raps are really going all in this year.

I am happy Kyle has not been traded (yet).

I guess they'll go for a retool when Leonard leaves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->