Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Since entering the league Matthews ranks 20th in points per game.

The thing I hate about this contract, and the Eichel and Draisaitl contracts, is that giving this kind of money off an ELC doesn't really inspire much need for the player to work as hard as they need to day in day out to get better. Complacency in sport is absolutely a real thing, and handing out this kind of payday based on what a player could be is a good way to sow it.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
Of course they will not say anything negative when the Leafs owners also own Sportsnet. Look at the embarssing mouthpiece tweets Bob Mackenzie is putting up trying to defend the contract after the backlash. Do you think they are going to risk their jobs and criticise the Leafs management?
It's never stopped them before. But of course this is the excuse if they're saying nice things :laugh: love the salt

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Dubas retained top talent. If he didn't everyone would be crucifying him, not saying Mathews would've gotten an offer sheet but you never know. Isn't Kadri signed a few more years? Still Tavares-Mathews -Kadri is a strong group down the middle

They'll have to fill out their bottom-6 with heart and soul guys - maybe he'll find some hungry AHL talent or unsigned NCAA players capable of playing those roles for under a million bucks a season.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You should just feel sorry for them. People who constantly **** on things that give others pleasure are pathetic. They profile as losers who who’re unhappy and unsuccessful in their own lives and don’t want others enjoying happiness or success in theirs. It’s pretty unfortunate.

Very sad, small people.
Lol Since when is stating a very real possibility pathetic? We face that same situation with Mikko and maybe even MacKinnon, same with many other teams that have an upcoming star RFA with the way contracts are being handed out lately. It's just a reality. I would argue that if you get that upset over a sports team you should find something more meaningful because it's not healthy.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
There is zero proof that Marner is going to accept a team discount, when all Dubas has done is sign players to non team discount contracts. Stop fooling yourself on this team discount mantra Shanahan sold. It backfired.
Derpity derp derp. You're right, it sucks to have Marner/Matthews/Nylander/Tavares signed....

jboknows

Feb 9, 2010
Nylander's contract is far closer to market value than this one is.

I agree (based on his past history) - I guess I was using that more of an example of how entitled RFA's are and how the leverage a team had in holding rights has diminished given the numerous inflated RFA contracts out there. It's hard to justify not paying high amounts for your own RFA's when everyone else is. I expect this along with signing bonuses to be negotiated in the next CBA

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He may be the franchise guy and that's fine. Leafs fans know a lot better than I do.

But Stamkos is the franchise guy in Tampa. Kucherov is the better player.

From what I've seen (again, it's not as much as Toronto fans) Marner seems like the guy that makes things happen.

Mitch Marner does make things happen so much so that when he does something amazing which is almost every night, we call it "The Mitch thing." and "The Mitch thing" is not a specific thing it's just any incredible play he makes.

That said Matthews is guy he's the face of the franchise, beyond that Matthews is a center , Marner is getting paid but he's getting a lower cap hit than Matthews

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Good deal for both. He'll get paid as a UFA but the smaller cap hit helps the Leafs now.
11.626 is it not? thats not a lower cap hit, it's actually higher than I thought it would be ANNNNND less term, HORRRRRIBLE contract. he's prob gone in 5 years. so our window with Matthews is 5 years. hopefully Marner will be loyal to us, him and Tavares will be our long term stars

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
Since everyone likes to complain and say Crosby took a discount here are the cap% for all the big name players 2nd(or 3rd in new CBA) contracts:

Crosby 17.3%
McDavid 16.67%
Malkin 15.34%
Eichel 13.33%
Matthews 14.63%
Stamkos 11.66%
Kucherov 11.95%
Kane 11.09%, 2nd 15.22% (New CBA)
Perry (3rd contract new CBA) 13.41%
Drai 11.33%
Tarasenko 10.27%
Kuznetsov 10.4%

Reactions: voxel

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Matthews is a 50 goal guy if he stays healthy. Leafs fans acting like he is overpaid are ridiculous.
If he got paid this much he was looking at 13+ for 8 years. In what world is he worth even close what to McDavid was as an RFA. McDavid makes 12.5 mill and he got that after he won the Hart, Art Ross and Ted Lindsey in a single season AND he signed for 8.

Matthews got overpaid no matter how you look at it.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
You know, after all these years of Leafs suffering, I was happy for them to get good young players.

Now I'm just excited to see they will enjoy the cap hell that Oilers are facing.
Well enjoy it for the next few months cause when they have their guys signed this year more money opens up again next year and they will have pretty much their core guys signed.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Dubas is rEAlly reeally bad at this signing contract thing .

5 yrs?? And you still pay him 11.6 mil ??

Mathews is gone at age 26 when hes hitting his prime ! Crazzy

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Derpity derp derp. You're right, it sucks to have Marner/Matthews/Nylander/Tavares signed....

Obcourse this has nothing to the post I responded to. You may want to read the post I replied to and replying to that line of discussion instead of firing standard one liners.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
After the 20/21 season the NHL will be getting a new TV deal in the ufa...with the insane money being given to sports in the States... I’m expecting it will significantly push the cap up

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Can’t honestly say I’m impressed with Dubas last two contracts......Nylander was bad and AM is really bad. Young Rookie GM learning the ropes? Disappointing

Reactions: The Winter Soldier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->