Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Matthews extended (5 years, $11.63M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I'm a little new to contract discussion, so can someone clear this up for me? Why is everyone saying they'd be ok with this money on an 8-year contract, but not a 5-year? Don't players usually take higher AAV on a shorter contract, and lower AAV on a longer contract? Because on the longer one, they'll get more money guaranteed to them, so they're willing to take a lower AAV?

Isn't the same AAV on a longer contract worse for the team? Or are people banking on AM being insanely good in 5 years and therefore demanding a huge pay raise to stay with the Leafs, so they'd rather have him locked up for longer at 11.6?

Because even as a Leaf fan I don't think he is worth more than $11.5 million.

Reactions: Oley49

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Hate to break it to you, but MacKinnon and Barkov are far better players than Nylander, and they still don't inflate to Nylander's cap hit.

And you can go back as recently as three months before Nylander's deal, under the same cap, where Larkin was signed to $6.1M.
Mack was a fifty point player when he signed his contract .

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You should just feel sorry for them. People who constantly **** on things that give others pleasure are pathetic. They profile as losers who who’re unhappy and unsuccessful in their own lives and don’t want others enjoying happiness or success in theirs. It’s pretty unfortunate.

Very sad, small people.

I agree with you but when you read it every damn day for years it eventually grinds on you. Even on what should be a happy day you can't escape it.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
..... This has gotta be a joke.
Don't even want Matthews anymore at this number.
Absolutely a junk contract. he's going to leave in 5 years as a UFA ANNNND he signs for this much.
What a joke. has proven nothing.
- No 100 point seasons
- Injury Prone
- Has yet to lead his team past a round in the playoffs.
- has yet to win a major award
Hate to say it. but the Nylander contract is better than this crap.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Good deal for both. He'll get paid as a UFA but the smaller cap hit helps the Leafs now.

member 157595

Yes, we like the rest of the league were... for this exact reason. When you start to set a precedent of paying outrageously high salaries to RFA's it becomes very difficult to negotiate. Nylander was not good enough to warrant his contract or to sit out for half a year, but he saw what others made and refused to sign for less. Matthews would have done the same.

Can't wait to see the deals Laine and Rantannen sign. Point will likely take the actual TB discount.

Nylander's contract is far closer to market value than this one is.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
Matthews would've easily had over 80 points last season with a full season and will probably break 80 this season despite not playing a full season. His rookie season was his worst statistically and he finished with 69 points over 82 games. This is a great example of something that is technically true but very misleading. I think the Leafs overpaid but let's not act like Matthews is a scrub who can barely brake 70 points.
Matthews is a 50 goal guy if he stays healthy. Leafs fans acting like he is overpaid are ridiculous.

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
IIRC, Crosby and Malkin also took 5 years deals after their ELC contracts were up.

Unless Matthews wants to play for Arizona badly, I’m pretty sure he’ll resign with the Leafs.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
AM is trying to earn as much money as possible, i dont blame him but that comes at a cost.
Its not a problem until this contract is done though, for the next five years he has a lower cap hit than he would have had on an eight year deal so it should give Dubas more money to spend the next five years. But they have some big contracts now and another big contract is coming for Marner.

I said it at the start of the season, have to get Nylander signed and trade for a top pair defensemen (which they did) this season because it might be the best shot they will have at winning because of Marner and Matthews still being on their ELC.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Matthews would've easily had over 80 points last season with a full season and will probably break 80 this season despite not playing a full season. His rookie season was his worst statistically and he finished with 69 points over 82 games. This is a great example of something that is technically true but very misleading. I think the Leafs overpaid but let's not act like Matthews is a scrub who can barely brake 70 points.
I also agree that Matthews is a 70 player for sure. However, he has proven to be injury prone and has not cracked 70 points, those are the facts. Huge contracts like this should only be offered to players that have proven they can produce as much as anybody.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Its only a loss on HFBoards. The actual hockey community sees it as a win (yes, I'm connected) - take HF consensus with a grain of salt
Of course they will not say anything negative when the Leafs owners also own Sportsnet. Look at the embarssing mouthpiece tweets Bob Mackenzie is putting up trying to defend the contract after the backlash. Do you think they are going to risk their jobs and criticise the Leafs management?

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
Paid like the second best in the league, hopefully he performs.
Last 2yrs:

ES p/60

1.McDavid (22): 3.15 (6.22pp)
2.Matthews (21): 3.14 (6.72pp)
3.Kucherov (25): 3.13 (8.58pp)
4.Gaudreau (25): 2.83 (5.71pp)
5.MacKinnon (23): 2.77 (7.59pp)

ES p1/60

1.Matthews (21): 2.67 (5.38pp)
2.McDavid (22): 2.37 (4.67pp)
3.Kucherov (25): 2.37 (5.98pp)
4.Gaudreau (25): 2.31 (3.50pp)
5.MacKinnon (23): 2.25 (5.53pp)

He's performing. Just needs to stay healthy.

Reactions: ohcomeonref

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
On a five-year deal I was hoping around 10.5, so I think he is over by about a million. McKenize even pencilled in 11.5 is his graph last night. So, even if Marner comes in $1 million over, how are they screwed? Marleau comes off the books after next year, and Nylander will likely be moved out for assets in the next year or so. That's almost $14 million there, in two players.

Yes, the number's a little bigger than I wanted, but we have him locked up. Tavares is locked up long term. Marner will be. That's a pretty damn good core moving forward. So, even if Matthews and Marner are both "overpaid" by a million, you just have $2 million less to spend on the rest of your team. Seeing how the cap routinely goes up 2 or 3 million a year, I don't think it is the Armageddon you, and others, are suggesting.

That said, it's going to be tight, but man, this team is going to be fun to watch for a few years.
Barely locked up. he's gone in 5 years. with this much AAV on a pathetic 5 year just SCREAMS he doesnt want to be here.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
I see. So because they leafs are buying fewer of his UFA years, (many) Leafs fans think that they should have paid him less than 11.6. Is that correct?

Yes, exactly. Just look at Kucherov's bridge deal as an example. Yzerman was really the expert of using RFA bridge deals to lower his overall cap and get the most talent on his roster. Dubas seems to be doing the exact opposite.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
93% paid in bonuses? why such a high cap hit then.. wth dubas is a horrible negotiator. marner is going to bend him over also now. at that term and structure 10.5 was more then enough

Reactions: flamesforcup

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Can't wait to see Rantanen's deal now.

This is less than $1 million less than McDavid...and while I know people will say the contracts were signed at different times and point to percentage of cap...Matthews is going to be a UFA two years before McDavid. That conversely means Matthews on his next deal (probably around 16 million...though it's tough to approximate) will be earning several millions more than McDavid for two seasons while McDavid is still playing for 12.5.

I think this is an appalling deal by Toronto. Not because I want to see Toronto fail, but because of the precedent being set for other RFAs around the league.

Reactions: CanuckGame39
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->