Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Martin Marincin signs extension (1 year, $700K)

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Is it one way? If so I bet he's like, yo Dubas, give me league minimum one way, I guarantee myself full salary, you got a cheap D in case of emergencies

MLSE with deep pockets, always gives out one way contracts. It makes no difference on the cap, and allows our players to get paid decently well riding the bus.

Last edited:
Reactions: DingDongCharlie

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
You could do worse as far as spare defencemen go i guess. Especially when it comes with an absolute bare minimum contract that could still easily be buried in the minors with no penalty.

Reactions: uncleben

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
We are going to be up against the cap again next year. The provision in the CBA that allows emergency call ups without effecting the cap structure to ice a team is what precipitated this signing (has to be league min). I am not a fan of Marincin but for a call up in a pinch this is fine.

Reactions: smitty10

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's a depth d-man for league minimum.

Literally 0 discussion to be had about it lol

Reactions: Ciao

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
We are going to be up against the cap again next year. The provision in the CBA that allows emergency call ups without effecting the cap structure to ice a team is what precipitated this signing (has to be league min). I am not a fan of Marincin but for a call up in a pinch this is fine.

within 100k of league minimum

Reactions: Funk21

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I wouldn't be surprised if they were looking ahead to later this year. If Marincin plays some good hockey behind Keefe he may have gotten a little more attention on the open market, thinking of the recent Holl signing made based on his small sample size. He may have been more expensive to re-sign or replaced if that took place. Now, he's making the minimum either way for another season.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Well I guess we got our value for the 4rth rd pick (if I recall correctly?) we gave up for him. Hope the Oilers got something useful with that pick.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Can't complain about this. Will continue to be just a depth d-man that can fill in when needed. Ideally they'll have enough depth on the big club when healthy to allow him to play for the Marlies the majority of the time.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Perhaps its better to have that old Ford, on that hard bumpy road, then a new Porsche who gets a flat tire in the first bump!
Nah, I'd take the Porsche.

Get the flat tire fixed and it's a high performance machine. Even if I put a new engine into the Ford, it's still a mid 2000's Escape.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Well I guess we got our value for the 4rth rd pick (if I recall correctly?) we gave up for him. Hope the Oilers got something useful with that pick.

114 games of Eric Gryba, so it turned out a wash for them, really, but Gryba left 2 years ago.
Martin is the last whole piece attributable to the first Daniel Winninck trade.

One of the pieces the Leafs got for Winnick was Pittsburgh's 2015 4th, which the Leafs traded with the rights to Brad Ross to the Oilers for Marincin, and the Oilers traded to the Senators with Travis Ewanik for Eric Gryba, and the Senators used the pick to select Christian Wolanin who is on the IR for the Senators today.

Neither Ross nor Ewanik have ever played NHL game.

Acquiring Marincin for either Gryba or Wolanin works for me. Marincin has already been of some use to both the Leafs and the Marlies. I also think he is a better, more mature and composed player than he was three or four years ago, and is a very useful player.

This is a good signing, and an incident of good asset management all around -- through several managers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad