Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs re-sign Nic Petan [2 years/$775,000 AAV]

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He is 24 today if he was an NHL player he would be in the NHL. Sorry but I would rather a crap shoot 21 year old 6+ guy who has the tools you’re looking for than a 5”9 24 year old who can’t make it in the NHL.

MSL was in a pretty similar position to where Petan is now at 24.

Reactions: teddygmr

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
MSL was in a pretty similar position to where Petan is now at 24.

Really in all of the NHL history you are going to bring up the one guy who put on his big boy pants at 24. What about the 9,567,782 who didn’t amount to anything? If that is your argument in a debate class I would fail you!

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Really in all of the NHL history you are going to bring up the one guy who put on his big boy pants at 24. What about the 9,567,782 who didn’t amount to anything? If that is your argument in a debate class I would fail you!

Nyquist
Marchessault
Dzingel
W. Karlsson
Dadonov
Zucker
Gourde
Anders Lee
Arvidsson
Erik Haula
Nazem Kadri
Atkinson
Sheary
Mikkel Bodker
Tyler Johnson
Turris
Tatar
Mike Hoffman
Craig Smith
Teddy Purcell
David Backes
Ryan Clowe
Clarke MacArthur
Kesler
Loui Eriksson
Datsyuk
Alex Burrows
Kristian Huselius
Dustin Penner
Ribeiro

I could go on, but I think you get the point. That's only recent memory, and I'm sure there's plenty more if I bothered to look past the last ~10 years of top scorers. Plenty more people follow a similar path and don't ever hit those kinds of point totals, but he still could be a top scorer in the NHL.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Nyquist
Marchessault
Dzingel
W. Karlsson
Dadonov
Zucker
Gourde
Anders Lee
Arvidsson
Erik Haula
Nazem Kadri
Atkinson
Sheary
Mikkel Bodker
Tyler Johnson
Turris
Tatar
Mike Hoffman
Craig Smith
Teddy Purcell
David Backes
Ryan Clowe
Clarke MacArthur
Kesler
Loui Eriksson
Datsyuk
Alex Burrows
Kristian Huselius
Dustin Penner
Ribeiro

I could go on, but I think you get the point. That's only recent memory, and I'm sure there's plenty more if I bothered to look past the last ~10 years of top scorers. Plenty more people follow a similar path and don't ever hit those kinds of point totals, but he still could be a top scorer in the NHL.

95 percent of those were NHL regulars before 24. Most had moderate success but didn’t truly break out until around the age of 24. Petan is a fringe player at best at this point.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
95 percent of those were NHL regulars before 24. Most had moderate success but didn’t truly break out until around the age of 24. Petan is a fringe player at best at this point.

Quite a few weren't. Petan has still played a full season in the NHL. Being cut because of other talent on your roster and not being given the chance is different then being at a fringe level.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Agreed. The trick of the GMs is not going to be finding the stars but rather the right guys that can play to fill out the bottom 6 and bottom pair roles on the team so you can pay the stars.

That’s what worked for Chicago/Pittsburgh. Downside is you may have a legit cup contender one year, and a complete tire fire the next since you’re always rotating hot bodies in and out. Some years you hit the jackpot other years you barley make the playoffs. I guess those jackpot years make up for it. The trick is always moving players who you think are overachieving and at their peak value to highest bidder for picks/prospects.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
That's like the definition of fringe

Uh...there's a pretty big difference between a team not being willing to give a player a chance because they have a set roster they think works best for them and want minimal changes to that, or that it's too risky to play less experienced players when you're fighting for a playoff spot vs closer to the bottom of the standings.

Tampa has pretty much made a habit of collecting players that have been passed over by others, and look at where they are now.

See also: Strome vs CHI

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Uh...there's a pretty big difference between a team not being willing to give a player a chance because they have a set roster they think works best for them and want minimal changes to that, or that it's too risky to play less experienced players when you're fighting for a playoff spot vs closer to the bottom of the standings.

Tampa has pretty much made a habit of collecting players that have been passed over by others, and look at where they are now.

See also: Strome vs CHI

Seriously you throw the most obtuse references out there. Zona mishandling of Strome was major jaff but Chicago still gave up a very good player in return.

Regarding TB being the island of mis be gotten toys that is simply not the case. They draft well and let the players develop. Look at what EDM has done to players not ready to make the next step or not drafting well past the first round. It’s crippling.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Seriously you throw the most obtuse references out there. Zona mishandling of Strome was major jaff but Chicago still gave up a very good player in return.

Regarding TB being the island of mis be gotten toys that is simply not the case. They draft well and let the players develop. Look at what EDM has done to players not ready to make the next step or not drafting well past the first round. It’s crippling.

They also have plenty of players who have made an impact they (and no one) didn't draft at all, and a few players they drafted past the 4th round like Palat.

We're not talking about the trade value for ARI either. Strome was considered a bust and barely put up points, was a good 3rd liner and that's about it. Went to another team and played with much better linemates majority of the time and lit it up. Hopefully Petan does the same.

Reactions: teddygmr

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->