Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Leafs re-sign Nic Petan [2 years/$775,000 AAV]

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I actually saw something recently that alotmof agents and some players were mad at the last CBA.

I would be shocked if the % of cap a team can pay one player isn't a huge point of contention next round. Especially since RFA's seem to have figured out they can actually get paid..

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would be shocked if the % of cap a team can pay one player isn't a huge point of contention next round. Especially since RFA's seem to have figured out they can actually get paid..

Yeah we’re not see those short bridges. The top RFAs seem to be going directly to big money.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I actually like this for Toronto. They need cheap skilled depth with the upcoming contracts. Nothing major but these small moves help
I do too from value stand point. Seems another against the grain move by Dubas though. He's a pp and backup top 6 type that isnt effective with bottom 6 players. If he pans out, where does he play with a Tavares/Marner, Matthews/Nylander top 6? Unless you think 3rd line spot if they move Kap or Johnsson. Babcock would probably kill for a shutdown defensive 4th line and Dubas gives him Petan.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Yeah we’re not see those short bridges. The top RFAs seem to be going directly to big money.

Between that and the growing sentiment that older vets aren't worth the money after 30 the next round of negotiations between the NHLPA and it's own members should be very interesting.

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
I do too from value stand point. Seems another against the grain move by Dubas though. He's a pp and backup top 6 type that isnt effective with bottom 6 players. If he pans out, where does he play with a Tavares/Marner, Matthews/Nylander top 6? Unless you think 3rd line spot if they move Kap or Johnsson. Babcock would probably kill for a shutdown defensive 4th line and Dubas gives him Petan.
While it may be Dickish to Petan, in my opinion it’s good to have a replacement level on the roster that is skilled enough to jump into action in case of injuries

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Wasted roster spot IMO. Would rather go after a college free agent!
yea, why sign a cheap NHL caliber player when you can get a long shot to ever play a dozen games instead ...and overpay, while you are at it, because anyone with a shot will garner interest

Reactions: Rob Brown

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I actually saw something recently that alot of agents and some players were mad at the last CBA. And that players selfishly gave in. Stars today are basically being paid the same as the top players 15 years ago. Albeit there is a salary cap now.

We're just seeing the gradual rebound from the cap compression back diving deals caused. In the early days of the cap world lots of stars made 14-18% of cap. During the backdiving era they still got that in cash, just with a lower cap hit. It took time for value perception to reallign from those lower cap hits

Reactions: mouser

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Doesn't work out next season, buried in the A where he's a good player and can help keep the Marlies as one of the top AHL teams.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
We're just seeing the gradual rebound from the cap compression back diving deals caused. In the early days of the cap world lots of stars made 14-18% of cap. During the backdiving era they still got that in cash, just with a lower cap hit. It took time for value perception to reallign from those lower cap hits
that’s makes sense. Thank you

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
yea, why sign a cheap NHL caliber player when you can get a long shot to ever play a dozen games instead ...and overpay, while you are at it, because anyone with a shot will garner interest

He is 24 today if he was an NHL player he would be in the NHL. Sorry but I would rather a crap shoot 21 year old 6+ guy who has the tools you’re looking for than a 5”9 24 year old who can’t make it in the NHL.

traffic cone

May 12, 2011
1. 3 spots to fill for ~8 million
2. Trade OZ, Brown, Johnsson for those spots or picks.
3. Marleau retires, Leafs trade cap hit.

Hyman2.25Tavares11Marner9.75
Kadri4.5Matthews11.634Nylander6.963
Moore0.775Kapanen3.5
Petan0.775Gauthier0.675Bracco0.843
Rielly5
Muzzin4Liljegren0.895
Dermott0.864Zaitsev4.5
Borgman0.7Holl0.675
Andersen5
Sparks0.75
Kessel1.2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Where did you get the numbers for Marner and Kapanen?

Why would Marleau retire when he's arguably closest to the Cup he's ever been?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He is 24 today if he was an NHL player he would be in the NHL. Sorry but I would rather a crap shoot 21 year old 6+ guy who has the tools you’re looking for than a 5”9 24 year old who can’t make it in the NHL.

And which college agent did this signing block the Leafs from signing?

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
And which college agent did this signing block the Leafs from signing?

It’s taking up a roster spot. Didn’t say it’s preventing us from signing anybody. Said I would prefer to take a chance on a college feee agent than a 24 year old 5 foot nothing player

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
So the guy with an active iron man streak of 777 games (6th all-time) retires because he can’t keep up?

Okay.

Just because he is staying healthy and can skate doesn't mean he's a major contributor to the team on the ice. In some ways he isn't keeping up, but that has a lot to do with usage - he isn't contributing in a major offensive role, he should be further down the lineup.

That being said, I would be shocked if he decided to retire, or accepted a trade (unless it was back to SJ for some reason). He'll be here playing.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Just because he is staying healthy and can skate doesn't mean he's a major contributor to the team on the ice. In some ways he isn't keeping up, but that has a lot to do with usage - he isn't contributing in a major offensive role, he should be further down the lineup.

That being said, I would be shocked if he decided to retire, or accepted a trade (unless it was back to SJ for some reason). He'll be here playing.
After July 1st and after the Leafs pay the season signing bonus it is feasible that the Leafs can find a team to take on the contract with a little creasing of the wheels as some teams will want to find the floor without actually paying salary to get there.

Reactions: teddygmr

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
After July 1st and after the Leafs pay the season signing bonus it is feasible that the Leafs can find a team to take on the contract with a little creasing of the wheels as some teams will want to find the floor without actually paying salary to get there.
And marleau will waive his NMC so he can go to a team that has no chance at the cup?

not a chance.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Why would he want to go to a bottom feeder team though

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And marleau will waive his NMC so he can go to a team that has no chance at the cup?

not a chance.

Why would he want to go to a bottom feeder team though

Agree it is unlikely Marleau waives his NMC for a bottom feeder. Just trying to make the point most contracts our movable if the wheels get creased enough. Maybe the Leafs find a team that isn't a bottom feeder that they can "pay" to take on Marleau and he is willing to go to for a year?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Agree it is unlikely Marleau waives his NMC for a bottom feeder. Just trying to make the point most contracts our movable if the wheels get creased enough. Maybe the Leafs find a team that isn't a bottom feeder that they can "pay" to take on Marleau and he is willing to go to for a year?

I think the following 2 scenarios are the most likely:

a) He plays; or
b) He goes on LTIR / Robidas island

I wonder if he feels he can play at least 2nd line minutes, which is what a team that is playing for the cup next year would need out of a $6.25m player. If not, he might be willing to bend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->