Signing(s): [TOR] Justin Smoak (2 years, 8.25 mil total) 6 mil option 2019

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Reasonable dollars for a 750ish .OPS with power and a good glove. Gives them the opportunity to not rush Tellez.

Pretty much confirms there's zero way both EE and Bautista are back. No way Bautista should be an OF in 2018, he is headed for a DH spot by then.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Reasonable dollars for a 750ish .OPS with power and a good glove. Gives them the opportunity to not rush Tellez.

Pretty much confirms there's zero way both EE and Bautista are back. No way Bautista should be an OF in 2018, he is headed for a DH spot by then.

Hopefully Bautista is gone at the deadline to replenish the farm a bit. Pitching and another MLB caliber OF defender is of far greater need.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Hopefully Bautista is gone at the deadline to replenish the farm a bit. Pitching and another MLB caliber OF defender is of far greater need.

Nothing says we're going for it like trading one of your best hitters for prospects.

Bold strategy. Let's see if it pays off.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

I really doubt Bautista agrees to a trade and since he has 10/5 rights he would have to sign off on it. HOWEVER, I think it would actually be a good idea for him and the Jays. It would be tricky to find the right fit trading partner wise but if they were able to get a good haul from for him and find a younger replacementthat would be ideal for the Jays. For Bautista, it would lift the pick compensation for whatever team signs him in the offseason, not that it would have been a huge issue but it still helps on that end.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I really doubt Bautista agrees to a trade and since he has 10/5 rights he would have to sign off on it. HOWEVER, I think it would actually be a good idea for him and the Jays. It would be tricky to find the right fit trading partner wise but if they were able to get a good haul from for him and find a younger replacementthat would be ideal for the Jays. For Bautista, it would lift the pick compensation for whatever team signs him in the offseason, not that it would have been a huge issue but it still helps on that end.

I agree.

Talks that the Yankees may sell, and I'd love to add Miller/Chapman but the Jays don't have the prospect depth to afford a move like that. It'd be great to even get something to parlay into another back end bullpen arm while still adding to the farm.

If they were able to move him it's just good asset management IMO.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Re/ Bautista...they would probably get more value out of the last two months of Bautista + comp pick they get when he walks than what they would get in a trade.

Plus they are in a win-now mode....replenishing the farm system shouldn't be the top priority right now. They should be looking at guys that will help them this year....and I doubt Bautista even returns MLB players, and if he does, they most likely aren't going to be as valuable as him.

Last edited:

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Justin Smoak is pretty much a replacement level player. Not sure why the Jays felt the need to bring him back at over $4M/yr. Crappy bat, overrated D.

Mad Brills*

Bautista has 10/5 rights, and a team acquiring him would be in the playoff run, so you won't get anything good back

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Bautista has 10/5 rights, and a team acquiring him would be in the playoff run, so you won't get anything good back

Except for a handful of prospects which then could be parlayed to strengthen the bullpen + replenish a bit of the farm system.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
No he still sucks.

Yeah, pretty much. He's a solid 1st baseman and can definitely be useful at times, but his bat is more often bad then good.

I'm just happy that it'll likely mean no Colabello when he's reinstated, although he always seems to find his was into Gibby's lineup so I shouldn't speak so soon.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Smoak is trash. 0.1 WAR guy this year and I have zero faith he'll be able to even really produce a full WAR over 2 seasons (to make this contract worth it). Below average bat and well below average defender that somehow has a reputation for good D even though that is clearly false.

Like... why? You could replace his production easily with a carousel of a bunch of league minimum minor league deal guys and waiver wire pickups. This makes no sense.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
Could someone name all these better replacements than Justin Smoak?

You want the Jays picking up waiver players to play first base when we're going for playoffs.

Or a random minor leaguer and the thought somehow is that they would automatically be replacement level or better.

Won't these replacememnts have a big risk of costing the team wins?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Could someone name all these better replacements than Justin Smoak?

You want the Jays picking up waiver players to play first base when we're going for playoffs.

Or a random minor leaguer and the thought somehow is that they would automatically be replacement level or better.

Won't these replacememnts have a big risk of costing the team wins?

No guarantee this team is going to the playoffs if they keep getting garbage pitching like they have from Dickey and Stroman. Stroman has been terrible for much of the year. Maybe he isn't a #2 pitcher.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
No guarantee this team is going to the playoffs if they keep getting garbage pitching like they have from Dickey and Stroman. Stroman has been terrible for much of the year. Maybe he isn't a #2 pitcher.
Dickey had a bad outing yesterday. Besides that he's been pretty good going back to the second half of last season. Dickey is far from being an issue.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008

Post said we are going for the playoffs not we will definately be there or anything.

We should be right there even if you think both players garbage pitching will continue. Ideally they will keep having some good starts and bad starts but it's not like the Red Sox and Orioles staffs are that much better.

Fangraphs has us at %60-%65 chance of the playoffs and still plenty of season left with time to improve the roster.

Sanchez, Estrada and Happ have been more than decent as well.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

Before the last 2 games (haven't seen the updated ERA) they lead the AL in Starters ERA.

Dickey has been terrible? You almost make it sound like you know what you're talking about.

ERAs in..

May: 3.20
June: 3.44
July: 3.60

Yup. He's been terrible.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Before the last 2 games (haven't seen the updated ERA) they lead the AL in Starters ERA.

Dickey has been terrible? You almost make it sound like you know what you're talking about.

ERAs in..

May: 3.20
June: 3.44
July: 3.60

Yup. He's been terrible.

Dickey was bad in April and May. He did pick it up in June and parts of July but still has the occasional terrible outing like yesterday. The past two seasons he really picked it up from June onwards with minimal bad outings. We will see if he can repeat that this year.

Right now his FIP is horrible - over 5.00. He needs to be better if this team wants to win the division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->