Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] John Tavares signs with the Leafs (7 years, $11M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Martin is pretty much gone. Gardiner is probably gone (Dermott steps into his place, Liljigren or Rosen steps into Dermott's place), and the Leafs have a built in escape clause in Marleau's contract (several replacements in the wings who can replicate or near replicate his 40+ yearly average). So sure, a piece or two is gone, to be replaced at a fraction of the cost with little loss in overall production/talent.

What’s the built in escape clause?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Hfboards February 2018 - JVR is a floater, is maybe give up a 2nd and a C prospect. Definitely not a higher end prospect.

Hfboards June 2018 - absolute steal at 7 million. Leafs are really going to miss his 30+ goals. Philly has a steal, and I could see this really undoing the good from signing Tavares.

You should see the value that Komarov and Bozak now have, with their current value we mighta been able to get 2 1sts!!!!

Reactions: Skin Tape Session

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
What’s the built in escape clause?

After their July 1st payout next year, Marleau would only cost any team interested in taking him just $1.5 mil in real money. Yes, Marleau would have to agree to be traded, but since he will get all the money anyways, he could just retire at 40.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
After their July 1st payout next year, Marleau would only cost any team interested in taking him just $1.5 mil in real money. Yes, Marleau would have to agree to be traded, but since he will get all the money anyways, he could just retire at 40.

Keep believing Marleau will just disappear as a cap dump somewhere. Only way I see this happening is if he wins a cup next year or has some sort of career ending injury. He isn't going to waive when he said the reason he went to Toronto was to win a cup AND you just added Tavares. He'd want to play out that final year in hopes of accomplishing his goal

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Hfboards February 2018 - JVR is a floater, is maybe give up a 2nd and a C prospect. Definitely not a higher end prospect.

Hfboards June 2018 - absolute steal at 7 million. Leafs are really going to miss his 30+ goals. Philly has a steal, and I could see this really undoing the good from signing Tavares.
The Winter Soldier's posts about anything leaf related in a nutshell.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Keep believing Marleau will just disappear as a cap dump somewhere. Only way I see this happening is if he wins a cup next year or has some sort of career ending injury. He isn't going to waive when he said the reason he went to Toronto was to win a cup AND you just added Tavares. He'd want to play out that final year in hopes of accomplishing his goal

Not sure ensuring the Leafs are a worse is going to achieve that goal for Marleau, but desperately wanting the leafs to be less of a contender is clearly yours.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Not sure ensuring the Leafs are a worse is going to achieve that goal for Marleau, but desperately wanting the leafs to be less of a contender is clearly yours.
I could care less if the Leafs are contenders...it's just annoying constantly reading in every thread tangentially related to the Leafs that Marleau essentially signed a 3 year deal knowing he'd only play in Toronto for 2 years so the Leafs could dump him on some dumpster fire franchise for the final year. I could be completely wrong, but if I'm Patty why would I agree to go to a team like Ottawa in what could be the last year I play in the NHL if I haven't won a cup? He has a NMC and has stated he went to Toronto as he thought it was his best chance to win a cup....those two things alone seem to suggest that he'd likely NOT agree to be a cap dump in the final year of his contract and possibly his career.

Edit: Please give me one reason it makes sense for Marleau to waive his NMC and agree to a trade the final year of his deal to help Toronto manage the cap OTHER than if they win the cup this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: VainGretzky

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I have no issue with that.

5 years of 1C type play would be incredible. To get that while only spending cap dollars is an incredible scenario. Usually it’s costs a team a top pick and development time to get a player of his quality. We didn’t give up Nylander or Marner.

I can live with a couple overpaid years. Most contracts I’m seeing signed have the same outcome.

I don't even think Tavares will be overpaid from age 32-34. I bet he continues to produce pretty damn good numbers, with all this talent around him. It's not like he'll be 39-40-41 years old then. 33-34 is not old.

Reactions: RCS

Eric Robson

Jan 5, 2018
eh, in hockey guys tend to produce more in their early - mid 20's. If anything I'd say Tavares is towards the end of his prime where regression starts. Usually around 26-27 years old
So Crosby, the Great 8, Jumbo Joe, Patty Marleau, Ryan Getzlaf, Bergeron, Kane ... should I go on?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
You missed: reserve for performance bonuses, Kessel $1.2M, part of Horton's salary which depends on how much you reserve for performance bonuses. Likely $5M more total. And I guess you're just assuming someone will take Martin's contract.

There's a huge crunch coming next year no matter how you look at it. Some people have posted some creative things that are beyond my knowledge and I assume Dubas and friends looked into this very carefully so I have faith in people that know more than me but currently I have no idea how they manage it without losing a piece.

Huh? What are you on about?

- Nathan Horton's 5.3 million dollar/injury cushion salary is off the books in 2 years.
- Marleau's 6.25 million is off the books in 2 years
- Matt Martin's 2.5 million.....if we don't trade him this summer.....is off the books in 2 years
- Jake Gardiner's 4.05 million is off the books in 1 year.
- Ron Hainsey's 3 million is off the books in 1 year.

And we have LOTS of talented young players coming up right now to replace them. We have a very strong farm system and our main feeder team, the Toronto Marlies JUST won the Calder Cup, mostly filled with prospects/home grown talent.

We're more than fine.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
So Crosby, the Great 8, Jumbo Joe, Patty Marleau, Ryan Getzlaf, Bergeron, Kane ... should I go on?
Yup, the great elite athletes that are dedicated to their craft don't fall off a cliff at 30.

cojonathantavares01.jpg

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
I could care less if the Leafs are contenders...it's just annoying constantly reading in every thread tangentially related to the Leafs that Marleau essentially signed a 3 year deal knowing he'd only play in Toronto for 2 years so the Leafs could dump him on some dumpster fire franchise for the final year. I could be completely wrong, but if I'm Patty why would I agree to go to a team like Ottawa in what could be the last year I play in the NHL if I haven't won a cup? He has a NMC and has stated he went to Toronto as he thought it was his best chance to win a cup....those two things alone seem to suggest that he'd likely NOT agree to be a cap dump in the final year of his contract and possibly his career.

If he was so insistent as you demand he is, he wouldn't have agreed to sign a contract that ensures trading him to a team struggling to meet the cap is incredibly easy as he deliberately did, and therefore majorly support the argument that its likely going to happen. All he had to say was, no, no signing bonus, all in on salary. But he didn't. He gave the team an out.

But yeah, you couldn't care less that the leafs are contenders, that much is obvious in your insistance that they are screwed capwise and there is no way out of it.

Last edited:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
If he was so insistent as you demand he is, he wouldn't have agreed to sign a contract that ensures trading him to a team struggling to meet the cap is incredibly easy as he deliberately did, and therefore majorly support the argument that its likely going to happen. All he had to say was, no, no signing bonus, all in on salary. But he didn't. He gave the team an out.
His contract has a NMC....I'd think that indicates he doesn't want to be traded and if he does he wants to dictate where. That alone is the exact opposite of a contract that is "easy to move". If I'm a player, I'd probably ask for all my money in a signing bonus too...why not get it all at once vs spread out over the year. I doubt it makes much of a difference and there could be tax implications.

But live in whatever fantasy land you want and we will see who is right when Marleau is still a Leaf come the start of the 2019-2020 season

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Bergeron, Kessel, Marchand, Giroux all just had career years at 30-31 years old. Shame really, I hate Boston.

Well, the good news is that they VERY likely won't repeat that. Which is a good thing for the Leafs, seeing as several of those guys are playing for a division rival. :)

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Huh? What are you on about?

- Nathan Horton's 5.3 million dollar/injury cushion salary is off the books in 2 years.
- Marleau's 6.25 million is off the books in 2 years
- Matt Martin's 2.5 million.....if we don't trade him this summer.....is off the books in 2 years
- Jake Gardiner's 4.05 million is off the books in 1 year.
- Ron Hainsey's 3 million is off the books in 1 year.

And we have LOTS of talented young players coming up right now to replace them. We have a very strong farm system and our main feeder team, the Toronto Marlies JUST won the Calder Cup, mostly filled with prospects/home grown talent.

We're more than fine.

OK so once again, I was replying to a specific poster, using a specific lineup and a specific playing year in his cap tally (2019-2020). Marleau/Horton/Martin are certainly not off the books that season.

That's what I was on about. What are YOU on about?

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
OK so once again, I was replying to a specific poster, using a specific lineup and a specific playing year in his cap tally (2019-2020). Marleau/Horton/Martin are certainly not off the books that season.

That's what I was on about. What are YOU on about?

I'm "on about" the fact that there are zero cap troubles in Toronto's immediate future.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->