Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i didn't think joe would sign a charity contract with anyone but san jose honestly

not the missing piece, but will make for good reporting material when the leafs are the leafs

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I think this is very surprising, it seemed like Jumbo would retire a Shark and i remember him saying during last season how he still believes in the team and referenced that 15-16 season and what they did after missing the playoffs.

And now seeing how #1 reason for this was because he thinks the Leafs have the team to win pretty much tells you how he lost faith in the Sharks and didn't see enough from them this off-season. If he thought 15-16 could happen again there's no way he leaves.

That has to be a punch in the gut for Doug Wilson who always speaks so highly of Joe, it's like your friend telling you you failed at your job, way more personal than reading what people write about the team or stuff like that.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
How come age is never used when guys like Nate Thompson are signed? Is it because it's acceptable for younger, always inferior players to play in the bottom-6 but not a 1st-ballot hofer??

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think this is very surprising, it seemed like Jumbo would retire a Shark and i remember him saying during last season how he still believes in the team and referenced that 15-16 season and what they did after missing the playoffs.

And now seeing how #1 reason for this was because he thinks the Leafs have the team to win pretty much tells you how he lost faith in the Sharks and didn't see enough from them this off-season. If he thought 15-16 could happen again there's no way he leaves.

That has to be a punch in the gut for Doug Wilson who always speaks so highly of Joe, it's like your friend telling you you failed at your job, way more personal than reading what people write about the team or stuff like that.
He did it to live closer to his family. The only gut punch is him not being around next year, not made up narratives.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
tenor.gif

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

It shouldn't be surprising we know he wanted to be traded at the deadline that should have told everybody he was open to leaving

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
He's never been as good as Joe Thornton, yet people don't manufacture reasons why he shouldn't be playing.
Pretty sure his name was one of the first brought up in the “Players that shouldn't have a contract” thread on the main board. Seems like Habs fans are the only ones who thought he was serviceable.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
You think he's going to say otherwise? Of course you're going to talk up your new team.

Normally if a player goes somewhere else for family reasons they're not afraid to say it. I have no reason think he's lying when he says "just a little bit of family but mostly hockey".

That's the sense i got from listening to DW's interview as well. He said well the Leafs had a better season so i understand his decision or something along those lines. If it was all family he'd just say it but i don't think he even mentioned is as "the" reason.

Maybe he just thinks the Leafs have a better chance to win? I don't see anything wrong with that.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
@CupsOverCash is right about being a bit upset over the Tampa Bay comparison the Leafs get often.

Tampa Bay has already won a cup with their first core. Now they've added a second. Guys like Coleman and Goodrow are very good adds, and I don't see players like that on Leafs besides Hyman. Brayden Point was marvelous, Palat stepped up, it seemed that the team as a whole was finally just sick of all the jokes and hate and just went ape shit crazy.

Tampa has had ALOT of playoff success and some heartbreak. They've been to ECF many times and if things went their way a bit, they could've had this 2nd cup years ago with Stamkos being a major factor. Leafs have failed to make the playoffs or when they do make it, they don't leave first round.

Leafs imo, don't have anyone close to the caliber of Victor Hedman. Rielly has been inconsistent but if he finally puts it together he is great offensively, not much in other categories. You would need a collective approach from guys like Muzzin, Brodie, etc.

The core 4 will have to step it up big time in the playoffs, and show how much they want to win.

Guys like Thornton, Simmonds, Hyman, Spezza, etc will have to do whatever it takes, and Fred Andersen will have to be reliable and make sure he doesn't let in any back-breakers. He is known to be terrible in elimination games. Huge difference between him and Vasi.

Anyway, not hating on my team just want the fans to keep their emotions in check when y'all compare team to juggernaut Tampa.

I get the whole collapse to Columbus, win cup next year thing but Leafs still have a lot to show. Not even from guys they picked up in FA but from guys they already have on roster.

IF those men take the next step and lead then it'll be interesting.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Normally if a player goes somewhere else for family reasons they're not afraid to say it. I have no reason think he's lying when he says "just a little bit of family but mostly hockey".

That's the sense i got from listening to DW's interview as well. He said well the Leafs had a better season so i understand his decision or something along those lines. If it was all family he'd just say it but i don't think he even mentioned is as "the" reason.

Maybe he just thinks the Leafs have a better chance to win? I don't see anything wrong with that.
He's going to have to be a huge part of it if they do.

Reactions: Goldeneye

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Teemu Selanne left San Jose for Colorado saying they had a much better chance of winning. San Jose disposed of Colorado easily in those playoffs.

Hope Joe ends up being as correct as Teemu was that year.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
@CupsOverCash is right about being a bit upset over the Tampa Bay comparison the Leafs get often.

Tampa Bay has already won a cup with their first core. Now they've added a second. Guys like Coleman and Goodrow are very good adds, and I don't see players like that on Leafs besides Hyman. Brayden Point was marvelous, Palat stepped up, it seemed that the team as a whole was finally just sick of all the jokes and hate and just went ape shit crazy.

Tampa has had ALOT of playoff success and some heartbreak. They've been to ECF many times and if things went their way a bit, they could've had this 2nd cup years ago with Stamkos being a major factor. Leafs have failed to make the playoffs or when they do make it, they don't leave first round.

Leafs imo, don't have anyone close to the caliber of Victor Hedman. Rielly has been inconsistent but if he finally puts it together he is great offensively, not much in other categories. You would need a collective approach from guys like Muzzin, Brodie, etc.

The core 4 will have to step it up big time in the playoffs, and show how much they want to win.

Guys like Thornton, Simmonds, Hyman, Spezza, etc will have to do whatever it takes, and Fred Andersen will have to be reliable and make sure he doesn't let in any back-breakers. He is known to be terrible in elimination games. Huge difference between him and Vasi.

Anyway, not hating on my team just want the fans to keep their emotions in check when y'all compare team to juggernaut Tampa.

I get the whole collapse to Columbus, win cup next year thing but Leafs still have a lot to show. Not even from guys they picked up in FA but from guys they already have on roster.

IF those men take the next step and lead then it'll be interesting.

I like the leafs roster. Just think they need some more success in the playoffs. They need to get more experience in situations deeper in the playoffs. Not that anyone needs reminding but it only gets more difficult after the first round. Not at the Lightnings expense but id like to see the leafs move forward a bit this season. They've had talented teams but need to win when it matters. It shouldn't surprise people are annoyed by a team that gets a lot of hype but never does anything with it.

Reactions: MattySnipes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad