Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I like Jumbo Joe but this is a weird acquisition, considering they already have Spezza.

It seems jumbo joe is still a capable 3c and spezz a 4c. Both are still nhl players at this point and there roles shouldn't overlap if anything they help insulate each other. To add there should be room for both on the 2nd pp unit as well.

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Not a Leafs fan but like the signings. It looks like a shortened season may be in the cards. Sign a few older guys that still have gas left on the cheap. Nothing says they have to play every game. There should be lots of back to back games where one can play the other can rest. Keep the minutes down and with some rest days they can perform at a greater level. Think if what the Raps did with Leonard.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Who is jealous that Toronto signed Thornton? Guy is what? 41?
No reason to be jealous about, but don't act like this isnt one of the most talked about stories in the NHL this off-season.

On these boards alone it's generating more talk than Pietrangelo.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No reason to be jealous about, but don't act like this isnt one of the most talked about stories in the NHL this off-season.

On these boards alone it's generating more talk than Pietrangelo.

Well, that’s because there are lots of Leaf fans I guess. A 41 year old Joe Thornton signing for 700k isn’t the biggest story ever, and I’m not saying I don’t like Joe, I do. It’s just he signed with Toronto, you know? If he signed with Nashville, I doubt this is being talked about as much. It’s a guy at the end of his career signing a cheap deal in Toronto.

From Toronto’s side there’s very little risk, so I get why their fans like it, but it’s hardly one of the biggest news stories of the off season.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
you think this thread has so many posts because Leafs fans? You probably whine more in here than anyone else.

even after days of posting before, you came back completely unprompted to try and trigger anyone you can.

Haha sure bud. I’m contributing to the conversation. I thought that was the point of a message board. If you think I’m trying to trigger anyone, you are mistaken. Just because I don’t agree with everything that has been said, doesn’t mean I’m just trying to trigger anyone or stir up shit. Stop being so sensitive. I’m allowed to have a different opinion than you.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Haha sure bud. I’m contributing to the conversation. I thought that was the point of a message board. If you think I’m trying to trigger anyone, you are mistaken. Just because I don’t agree with everything that has been said, doesn’t mean I’m just trying to trigger anyone or stir up shit. Stop being so sensitive. I’m allowed to have a different opinion than you.

iM cOnTrIbUtInG:

Who is jealous that Toronto signed Thornton? Guy is what? 41?

just genuinely curious what his age is completely unprompted eh? well you go figure that out and let us know what you come up with :thumbu:

and don’t pm me i’m not your “bud”

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
iM cOnTrIbUtInG:

just genuinely curious what his age is completely unprompted eh? well you go figure that out and let us know what you come up with :thumbu:

and don’t pm me i’m not your “bud”

God, you’re so sensitive. Just put me on ignore if you hate my posts so much. I’m not whining like you say I am. You are. Stop acting like a f***ing baby.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
God, you’re so sensitive. Just put me on ignore if you hate my posts so much. I’m not whining like you say I am. You are. Stop acting like f***ing baby.

why are you so mad? i’m just genuinely curious how old thornton is like you. don’t get triggered and call people childish names.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Thats not what I'm saying. They have a lot to prove. They have been hyped up over the years and have done NOTHING! Pardon me to demand a little more success from your franchise before we take them seriously.
I agree. They needed some balls and leadership. They got it this off-season even if it was in minor roles. It's hilarious to me that when other contenders add aging vets it's a great move. When the Leafs do it? LOL omg they JuST gOT oLD anD SloW. The goalposts are always shifting on HF. The Leafs needed vets and some toughness. They did that this fall by adding next to nothing on the cap. What has your team done to address its issues?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
I remember when Ottawa had Dion Phaneuf, the guy was mean, had grit, and was a vet in the lockeroom. But after our conference final run, he was not tough to play against, because he couldn't skate. If you want sandpaper, speed has to be a part of the equation too. I can't imagine Thornton is going to be any faster with the Leafs.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I remember when Ottawa had Dion Phaneuf, the guy was mean, had grit, and was a vet in the lockeroom. But after our conference final run, he was not tough to play against, because he couldn't skate. If you want sandpaper, speed has to be a part of the equation too. I can't imagine Thornton is going to be any faster with the Leafs.
Thornton is supposed to be sandpaper?

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
It seems jumbo joe is still a capable 3c and spezz a 4c. Both are still nhl players at this point and there roles shouldn't overlap if anything they help insulate each other. To add there should be room for both on the 2nd pp unit as well.

Spezza was actually really good last year.
25pts in 58 games for 700k was a bargain.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Spezza was actually really good last year.
25pts in 58 games for 700k was a bargain.
I agree he was pretty damn. I'm glad spezz resigned could play another 2-3 years by the looks of it. His legs are old but cant still skate at a decent pace. Esp in transition with his skill, looks good out there.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
In fairness, phaneuf never could skate backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->