Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Well, they still aren’t tough enough in my opinion. It’s one of the reasons they have struggled in the playoffs. I get being happy with the roster, but to me the real question is not the regular season, it’s the playoffs. They haven’t yet won a playoff series with Matthews and company. They need to climb that hurdle first.

You can talk about winning the cup all you want, hey we’ve heard Leafs fans talk cups for a long time, but it hasn’t happened in over 50 years. To me, they won’t get it done in the playoffs until they are harder to play against. I don’t think adding Simmonds magically fixes all of that.

Why do you think theu added Simmonds, Bogosian, Thornton etc they were to soft, they aren't now

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the point is that Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds were much more effective players 7 years ago. Now, they have reduced roles. They are not expected to carry a team anymore. They are more complimentary players at this point.

Which is exactly what they are expected to be in Toronto

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The Leafs roster has everything it needs to win a cup suggesting otherwise is ridiculous

Thats not what I'm saying. They have a lot to prove. They have been hyped up over the years and have done NOTHING! Pardon me to demand a little more success from your franchise before we take them seriously.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Why do you think theu added Simmonds, Bogosian, Thornton etc they were to soft, they aren't now

Since when is Thornton tough? Bogo and Simmonds don’t fix all your problems I’m afraid. Is Bogo playing every night, or is he a 7th defenceman? You guys need a Gary Roberts type of guy. Unfortunately, those guys are tough to find.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Thornton should grow a huge Lanny McDonald moustache so they can try to win the cup for him like the Flames won it for lanny

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Since when is Thornton tough? Bogo and a Simmonds don’t fix all your problems I’m afraid. Is Bogo playing every night, or is he a 7th defenceman? You guys need a Gary Roberts type of guy. Unfortunately, those guys are tough to find.
He's not soft that's the point, he can handle his own.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Thats not what I'm saying. They have a lot to prove. They have been hyped up over the years and have done NOTHING! Pardon me to demand a little more success from your franchise before we take them seriously.

Kind of reminds me of Tampa before this year

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
Thornton wants to win a Cup. Joe you were the reason the Sharks haven't won a Cup. If you had played a complete game and shot the puck more often you might have won.

Reactions: HabsAddict

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Kind of reminds me of Tampa before this year

Difference being Tamp paid a huge price for physical players in their prime that could skate. Who have the Leafs added that matched that profile? And who is their Hedman in your fantasy scenario where the Leafs remind you of Tampa?

Reactions: HabsAddict

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

We see this all the time with Leafs fans. Every year they say it’s their year. They boast about the changes they made in the off season and how they’re ready to go all the way, but they always end up falling short.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Thornton should grow a huge Lanny McDonald moustache so they can try to win the cup for him like the Flames won it for lanny
upload_2020-10-18_21-16-31.jpeg

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Difference being Tamp paid a huge price for physical players in their prime that could skate. Who have the Leafs added that matched that profile? And who is their Hedman in your fantasy scenario where the Leafs remind you of Tampa?

Leafs didn't have to pay a huge price to add toughness just money.

There is more than 1 way to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad