Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Wait, the Leafs 30 year old captain needs someone to mentor him? I would think at this point in his career HE would be the one mentoring young players on the team.
I see you’re splitting straws. But is it not a good thing to have multiple and different types of leaders? Pretty sure every good team has those.

pretty evident Tavares is a lead by example and Thornton is a more vocal leader

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I see you’re splitting straws. But is it not a good thing to have multiple and different types of leaders? Pretty sure every good team has those.

pretty evident Tavares is a lead by example and Thornton is a more vocal leader
Jumbo Joe always struck me a passive aggressive guy I bet he’s not as vocal in the room as you think and the teams he’s lead never really done too much

fEyD08

Jan 13, 2018
Jumbo Joe always struck me a passive aggressive guy I bet he’s not as vocal in the room as you think and the teams he’s lead never really done too much
I think he is more of a supporter in the lockeroom, making fun and having everybody in a good mood.
But when things went downhill and someone had to step up, i think Joe Pavelski was the vocal leader.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011

Funny, the quotes from players who have actually been in the locker room with him say just the opposite.

Reactions: DrSteveBrule

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Is that what you guys actually envision for your lineup?

No Simmonds will not be on line 1.

Hyman Matthews Marner

Mikeyhev Tavares Nylander

Robertson Kerfoot/Thornton Kerfoot/Thornton

Vesey Spezza Simmonds.

Only question is does Thornton play wing or center? because both he and Kerfoot can play both

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
I think he is more of a supporter in the lockeroom, making fun and having everybody in a good mood.
But when things went downhill and someone had to step up, i think Joe Pavelski was the vocal leader.
yeah exactly that good way of putting it

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
Funny, the quotes from players who have actually been in the locker room with him say just the opposite.
his on ice stature says different especially when things got tough probably why Boston traded him

Thirty Seven

Jan 23, 2017
upload_2020-10-18_10-33-18.png

Reactions: Maple Leaf

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I gotta say that I think its a little wishful thinking on joes part. I think the leafs still have to prove a lot to get to that legit contender status. They haven't gotten out of the first round in forever and if it wasn't for their epic status as a hockey team they wouldn't get nearly the attention they do otherwise. Their big guns need to step up when things matter. Until they do are pretty overrated when things truly matter. This was a decent offseason I think and I think they improved their team this offseason but im still not convinced it will really make a huge difference. Have to prove it first.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
his on ice stature says different especially when things got tough probably why Boston traded him

Yeah, your interpretation of his on-ice stature is probably a lot more accurate than the many quotes from his teammates about his locker room presence.

Gotta love the internet. Everyone is an expert.....

“He’s one of the funniest guys I’ve ever played with.” That big personality makes him a pillar of the team, whether he wears the “C” on his sweater or not. “He’s kind of a clown around the locker room, but when it’s time to be serious, he’s the guy we lean on,” says defenceman Marc-Édouard Vlasic. “He’s a great leader, a great friend.”

“Joe does on the outside look like he’s a jolly, happy guy all the time,” center Scott Nichol said. “But you know what? I think this year he’s been very outspoken and puts a lot of peer pressure on guys. I think that’s what we need.”

“He doesn’t care,” Hedican said of Thornton. “Joe Thornton wants to win a Cup. It’s the only thing on his mind. Joe is still the alpha male and leader in the locker room, and Pavelski is the frontman of the band. It’s been fun to see his leadership come to the forefront this year.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I gotta say that I think its a little wishful thinking on joes part. I think the leafs still have to prove a lot to get to that legit contender status. They haven't gotten out of the first round in forever and if it wasn't for their epic status as a hockey team they wouldn't get nearly the attention they do otherwise. Their big guns need to step up when things matter. Until they do are pretty overrated when things truly matter. This was a decent offseason I think and I think they improved their team this offseason but im still not convinced it will really make a huge difference. Have to prove it first.

The Leafs roster has everything it needs to win a cup suggesting otherwise is ridiculous

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
This was a decent offseason I think and I think they improved their team this offseason but im still not convinced it will really make a huge difference. Have to prove it first.

The Leafs roster has everything it needs to win a cup suggesting otherwise is ridiculous

Yeah - your post is definitely more ridiculous. :nod:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah - your post is definitely more ridiculous. :nod:

Tampa literally got laughed out of the building at the NHL awards after being swept by Columbus, they then won a cup less than 15 months later.

I see no reason the Leafs can't do it with the talent they have

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
Tampa literally got laughed out of the building at the NHL awards after being swept by Columbus, they then won a cup less than 15 months later.

I see no reason the Leafs can't do it with the talent they have

Maybe - but the other guy posted that they have to prove that they became a stronger team for the upcoming season which you said was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Every fan base except the Leafs: Leafs make everything about them!

Those same people: here’s my thesis on why this Leafs depth signing is bad.

Same people also had a thesis ready for why Dubas letting Thornton get away is going to close their window and make Matthews leave.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Leafs have 2 players over the age of 32.

It was funny yesterday, but jokes getting old fast.

I think the point is that Thornton, Spezza and Simmonds were much more effective players 7 years ago. Now, they have reduced roles. They are not expected to carry a team anymore. They are more complimentary players at this point.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Well, they still aren’t tough enough in my opinion. It’s one of the reasons they have struggled in the playoffs. I get being happy with the roster, but to me the real question is not the regular season, it’s the playoffs. They haven’t yet won a playoff series with Matthews and company. They need to climb that hurdle first.

You can talk about winning the cup all you want, hey we’ve heard Leafs fans talk cups for a long time, but it hasn’t happened in over 50 years. To me, they won’t get it done in the playoffs until they are harder to play against. I don’t think adding Simmonds magically fixes all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad