Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Resign Marleau again 1,5 m $/year.

The old man line

Marleau Thornton Spezza

A nice nostalgic 4tth line

KingsCrunch

Apr 25, 2016
So Cal
maxresdefault_grande.jpg

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Right now Jumbo is a 3C at best. He had multiple knee surgeries over the last few years and you could see the impact on the ice. He is very very slow, thats a huge problem when the pace is high. He can still make a creative pass but thats about it.
I would put him in a very limited role at 5v5. On the PP he could still be usefull, but its always stagnatic with him.

He is just an old men right now.

I wish him all the best. Looking forward to see the Leafs at the tank.
The good news is that’s all the leafs would want out of him. You get a whole bunch of salty leaf haters in here pretending the leafs want/ expect him to be the art ross player he was 15 years ago because that’s what their team has been looking for, for decades (looking at one team that hasn’t had an actual #1 or even #2 centre in almost 20 years but had everything else in place). They don’t expect that at all.

the leafs are looking for complimentary pieces to play those limited minutes. They have the big 4 to do the majority of the heavy lifting offensively.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
The leafs went from really fast to looking kinda slow real quick.

Imagine this. Leafs sign a guy to play on their 4th line/ press box at league minimum and that one player makes the lineup look slower. A GUY ON THE 4TH LINE IS MAKING THE LINEUP LOOK SLOWER. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Unless McDavid is taking this offseason to do charity skating work for all the 4th line plugs in the league, I think Joe's going to be just fine.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
People on HF are pretending like Jumbo is coming in to be our top line C at 41. The guy is literally coming in to be a voice in the lineup and play 10-15 minutes a game providing a big body and some decent secondary/ tertiary scoring.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
No. I would imagine more likely something like:

Nylander Matthews Hyman
Mikheyev Tavares Marner
Robertson Kerfoot Simmonds
Vesey Thornton Spezza

4th line could also include barabanov or Engvall
Okay I was gunna say :laugh: Simmonds on the top line.. yikes.

MoreMogilny

Cap'n
Jul 5, 2009
Oshawa
Okay I was gunna say :laugh: Simmonds on the top line.. yikes.

I think both Simmonds and Vesey will get looked at for top 6 for different reasons, but that look will likely only be a brief one in training camp. Simmonds will be on the team, but in the bottom 6. Vesey probably won’t even make it unless he really shines.

Reactions: LeafGrief and Ciao

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I think both Simmonds and Vesey will get looked at for top 6 for different reasons, but that look will likely only be a brief one in training camp. Simmonds will be on the team, but in the bottom 6. Vesey probably won’t even make it unless he really shines.

Remember the Sedin-Sedin-plug lines, someone could click creating a great opp for a stacked 3rd line.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
There is more than 1 post for every 700 dollars on this contract. For reference, if Connor McDavid signed his deal and got a post for every $700, that would be 17,857 posts. There's probably more posts about this than minutes Thornton would play in an 82 game season on this contract. Connor McDavid would hit a post per minute of ice time around page 23 of thread #2.

Sinbad

Jun 22, 2018
Parts Unknown
I wonder if my Leafs will try playing Joe Thornton on Tavares' wing. Both are slow so it could be a good fit. Maybe put Hyman in there as well as the third wheel. Thorton could be a good mentor for Tavares and maybe help him find another gear to his game.

Wait, the Leafs 30 year old captain needs someone to mentor him? I would think at this point in his career HE would be the one mentoring young players on the team.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
over/under the number of pages/points put up by Thornton on the Leafs
Going with 25 points, 5 threads The points depends on if he plays C on the 4th line, or W in the top-9.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Odd take considering the only one with blazing top end speed they let go was Kapanen, and his brain couldn't keep up to his legs. Johnsson was quick, but not overly fast.

They still have most of their speed players left.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
People on HF are pretending like Jumbo is coming in to be our top line C at 41. The guy is literally coming in to be a voice in the lineup and play 10-15 minutes a game providing a big body and some decent secondary/ tertiary scoring.
Shows you that ppl On HF boards have for poop for brains Lol

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'm assuming people similar to your viewpoint said the Leafs bottom 6 was inexperienced and soft last year, right?

I realize now the narrative is to act like Leaf fans are always paranoid about people critiquing there team.... but it's difficult to find legit info when haters speak outa both sides of there mouth, as long as it keeps true to the same formula.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Imagine being so obsessed that you spend your whole weekend arguing about a league min player on a team you don’t like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad