Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Joe Thornton signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $700K) Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
I thought Dubas controls the 23 man roster...weird.

Are you serious?

You didn't know that the coach sets the lineup? You think Babcock got paid millions and millions of dollars but didn't determine which players would be on his roster and which would be sent to the farm?

Are you being for real here?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Are you serious?

You didn't know that the coach sets the lineup? You think Babcock got paid millions and millions of dollars but didn't determine which players would be on his roster and which would be sent to the farm?

Are you serious, you don't know the GMs job, and you on a hockey forum?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Are you serious?

the coach deploys the players that the gm makes available on the roster. but that is the gms choice.

obviously they will discuss, but it is the gms job to set the roster given the short and long term coordination that is required with cap and injuries, and i find it funny how condescendingly wrong you are.

babcock regularly said throughout the season that he doesn’t worry who is going to be on the roster on a given day, he will play who is available to him. obviously he is being a bit hyperbolic with his attitude there but it is the gms choice, with strong input from coach.

Reactions: AvroArrow

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Are you serious, you don't know the GMs job, and you on a hockey forum?

This is hilarious.

Honestly really, really funny. The best part is, I don't think you actually believe what you're claiming here. I know that you know Babcock determined his roster, but you want to pretend this is the case so you can give an imaginary checkmark to Kyle Dubas.

The true comedy comes from this "victory" for Dubas is Justin Holl.

Classic stuff. Keep it up, this is gold.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
the coach deploys the players that the gm makes available on the roster. but that is the gms choice.

Right.

So if there was another defenseman in the system that beat out Holl for the job, you're suggesting that the GM would then tell Mike Babcock, the coach he made five times more than him, nope, sorry Mike, I'm sending that guy down to the farm and instead you have to take Justin Holl on your roster.

Is that seriously what you are suggesting here?

Reactions: Didalee Hed

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
the coach he made five times more than him

babcock making 5 times more than dubas would have nothing to do with whether or not he was qualified to make a decision on something that affects player health, cap, cba, etc...

So if there was another defenseman in the system that beat out Holl for the job, you're suggesting that the GM would then tell Mike Babcock, I'm sending that guy down to the farm and instead you have to take Justin Holl on your roster.

if that player that beat Holl out was waiver exempt, and Holl was likely to get claimed if waived at his salary, and there wasn't a fair deal to be made to move Holl or if it just didn't make sense to move them and lose the RD depth, then absolutely you tell Babcock that he'll have to use Holl. this is 100% the job that a GM has to do, and no question that would be the right thing to do in this situation. and Babcock would likely understand that the gm has to make tough choices sometimes, but probably also doesn't want to lose depth for nothing.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
babcock making 5 times more than dubas would have nothing to do with whether or not he was qualified to make a decision on something that affects player health, cap, cba, etc...

if that player that beat Holl out was waiver exempt, and Holl was likely to get claimed if waived at his salary, and there wasn't a fair deal to be made to move Holl or if it just didn't make sense to move them and lose the RD depth, then absolutely you tell Babcock that he'll have to use Holl. this is 100% the job that a GM has to do, and no question that would be the right thing to do in this situation. and Babcock would likely understand that the gm has to make tough choices sometimes, but probably also doesn't want to lose depth for nothing.

None of that is what is being suggested here.

Someone claimed that Dubas "added" Holl to the Maple Leafs. When it was pointed out he was signed by his predecessor, not him, instead of conceding the mistake, they doubled down and claimed that Dubas "gave" him his job, as if it wasn't about Holl making Babcock's team and earning a spot in the lineup, but go ahead and keep making this silly argument, but know you are doing it because someone else couldn't simply admit that they made a mistake and thought Dubas brought Holl into the organization.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

Someone claimed that Dubas "added" Holl to the Maple Leafs. When it was pointed out he was signed by his predecessor, not him, instead of conceding the mistake, they doubled down and claimed that Dubas "gave" him his job, as if it wasn't about Holl making Babcock's team and earning a spot in the lineup, but go ahead and keep making this silly argument, but know you are doing it because someone else couldn't simply admit that they made a mistake and thought Dubas brought Holl into the organization.

If what the other poster is saying is so wrong, then you should be able to easily make a counter-argument that doesn't involve being absolutely wrong about the roles of coaches and gms, and arrogant about it to boot.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If what the other poster is saying is so wrong, then you should be able to easily make a counter-argument that doesn't involve being absolutely wrong about the roles of coaches and gms, and arrogant about it to boot.

This is too silly to continue.

If you think Kyle Dubas made the roster decisions while Mike Babcock just waited for Kyle to finish filling out the roster card, you are certainly entitled to believe that just as I am entitled to laugh at you for believing that's how it all works.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

Holl was first brought into the organization on an AHL contract while Dubas was AGM and GM of the Marlies.

Reactions: Insidefi

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Holl was first brought into the organization on an AHL contract while Dubas was AGM and GM of the Marlies.

You are correct.

He signed an AHL deal in 2015 and then inked an NHL deal in 2016, so Dubas should get the credit for bringing him into the organization.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If you think Kyle Dubas made the roster decisions while Mike Babcock just waited for Kyle to finish filling out the roster card

i very clearly said there would be discussion. it’s not like you’ll admit you’re obviously wrong. but it’s been fun putting you in your place. good bye

Reactions: AvroArrow

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
This is too silly to continue.

If you think Kyle Dubas made the roster decisions while Mike Babcock just waited for Kyle to finish filling out the roster card, you are certainly entitled to believe that just as I am entitled to laugh at you for believing that's how it all works.

You do realize that a team doesn't ice 23 players during a game? There is a difference between the 20 players who make the line-up and the 23 who are on the roster, as well as a difference in who decides the 20 and the 23.

Reactions: BoredBrandonPridham

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Justin Holl was a free agent that was signed by Lou Lamoriello, not Kyle Dubas.

This is hilarious.

Honestly really, really funny. The best part is, I don't think you actually believe what you're claiming here. I know that you know Babcock determined his roster, but you want to pretend this is the case so you can give an imaginary checkmark to Kyle Dubas.

The true comedy comes from this "victory" for Dubas is Justin Holl.

Classic stuff. Keep it up, this is gold.

You are correct.

He signed an AHL deal in 2015 and then inked an NHL deal in 2016, so Dubas should get the credit for bringing him into the organization.

Imagine doubling down like this only to be proven wrong. Swing and a miss.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Has nothing to do with Buffalo - Simmonds didn't look good in NJ, Buffalo, or last year in Philly.

Also: Ryan O'Reilly looked very good in Buffalo = outside of one year, O'Reilly has been fairly consistent in his prime (no matter the team) in points.
I don’t think that guy is being serious. Right ????? Because if he is, that’s a comically bad take. Simmonds is done

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Right.

So if there was another defenseman in the system that beat out Holl for the job, you're suggesting that the GM would then tell Mike Babcock, the coach he made five times more than him, nope, sorry Mike, I'm sending that guy down to the farm and instead you have to take Justin Holl on your roster.

Is that seriously what you are suggesting here?
I don't think the GM would do that, but he certainly could do it. He is the GM, he decides what players on are on the roster.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
San Jose Fans,

Was Joe a liability last year? I know he'll never be a 100 point C again, but can you see where part of his game might frustrate Leaf Fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad