Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Frederik Andersen - 5 Year Extension [25 Million - AAV: 5M]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Find somebody that you can sign for 2 years.

You mean like the Oilers were doing?

Dubnyk,Nilsson,Fasth,Scrivens,etc...

You need stability back there. Players need to have confidence.
Now so far Lou is telling us he believes Andersen is a no. 1.
When you have a chance to obtain a 26 year old no. 1 goalie you do it. That's what he said.
Now we wait to judge the move. If it turns out the way Lou says, great move. We can now draft an 18 year old like Parsons and let him develop along with Bibeau. Stability now and the team sees the growth of the next guys.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
You mean like the Oilers were doing?

Dubnyk,Nilsson,Fasth,Scrivens,etc...

You need stability back there. Players need to have confidence.
Now so far Lou is telling us he believes Andersen is a no. 1.
When you have a chance to obtain a 26 year old no. 1 goalie you do it. That's what he said.
Now we wait to judge the move. If it turns out the way Lou says, great move. We can now draft an 18 year old like Parsons and let him develop along with Bibeau. Stability now and the team sees the growth of the next guys.

On the bolded -- I agree, that's why I would've pursued 2 goalies this summer. One, who has long term upside, but we can get a "wait and see" period on before committing to long term, and another veteran, who's been around the block, can show that young guy how to be a #1, and also provide stability in the crease for a young team.

What if he's not a proven starter?

Not an issue. Doesn't need to be -- pursue a stabilizing presence elsewhere.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
On the bolded -- I agree, that's why I would've pursued 2 goalies this summer. One, who has long term upside, but we can get a "wait and see" period on before committing to long term, and another veteran, who's been around the block, can show that young guy how to be a #1, and also provide stability in the crease for a young team.

Which goalies?

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2017/caphit/all/goalies

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Out of curiosity, who would you pursue.
It looks like Lou did pursue who he felt had long term upside. Given his past, I'll give him the nod he understands solid goaltending.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
That's patently false. So please, don't repeat it.

Andersen was the de facto #1 goalie in San Jose for the year of 2014-15. Andersen's stats have been posted here many times, but you can also go to the Ducks' boards and check it out yourself.

This past year, it was very much a tandem, but probably more due to injury (concussion) and illnesses (flu) to Andersen more than anything, as that was about 15 games right there, and with Jones playing very well, they didn't rush him back either time. As Andersen got healthy just when the playoffs started, they went with Jones for the fist two games, both losses. They then put in Andersen the rest of the way.

Any goalie who STARTS 53 games is the starter. That is a fact.

Hopefully you can quiet that nonsense now, and search up yet another fruitless argument?

Lol your getting so heated you start talking about San Jose and Jones. I'm still curious how Andersen, who is one year younger than bernier and reimer and has similar numbers with less games played, is supposed to be on the up and up while apparently the other two I mentioned are not going to get any better and won't be starters. As a leaf fan I hope he works out but this is this first move by mgmt that I am unsure about

JonnyMacAwesome

Jan 27, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Lol your getting so heated you start talking about San Jose and Jones. I'm still curious how Andersen, who is one year younger than bernier and reimer and has similar numbers with less games played, is supposed to be on the up and up while apparently the other two I mentioned are not going to get any better and won't be starters. As a leaf fan I hope he works out but this is this first move by mgmt that I am unsure about

Well Andersen has been consistent in the NHL for one. Not saying Reimer can't get better (I firmly believe Bernier could get better, but won't due to lack of mental preparation and heart) or be a starter, but Andersen has already proven capable of the role and workload.

Personally I'd love to have Reimer back, and would have loved for him to be our starter for a long time, but that's not realistic anymore, nor should we expect it to be.

I think having Andersen is going to be awesome. Sure, the team and Freddie will have their ups and downs, but I strongly believe he will cement himself as our #1 for the next 5 years minimum with his overall game play.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

The only answer to this at the moment is management didn't feel either were the long term solution or they wouldn't have pursued Andersen.
Leaf management evaluated Reimer/Bernier and Andersen. Perhaps all 3 are starters, which can mean different things depending on where a team is at a certain point in time.
Again, they made the trade and didn't hesitate to sign him. Not so much the others.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Like I said, I wouldn't be restricted to guys that are proven. I would've had no problem trading for Andersen and signing him to a 2-year deal.

I also have no problem paying more than 5x5 for somebody that's proven he can be a #1. As I mentioned earlier, goaltending is not the position to take big risks on.

So let me get this straight. You're fine with the acquisition cost, and you're fine with paying par value for what goalies have proven (despite that all goalies have regression downside)

So
Andersen is proven as a tandem lead/ 1A / lower level starter whatever you want to call it

Andersen is being paid as a tandem lead /1A / lower level starter

Andersen may emerge as something more.

It's not like they paid theacquisition price of a Price and then signed him to a 7x7 gambling that he would live up to it. That contract is fine if he can just continue giving ~50 starts at .918. There is massive value if he exceeds that. The only downside is one that is inherent in any goalie, that they become worse than what they have previously displayed, a downside that doesn't go away over the course of a 2 year contract, no matter what they "show you." You sign him two years, he shows you elite stuff, your looking at a 7x7 on a goalie two years older and not much less likely to regress.

Last edited:

LWOSLEAFS

Apr 20, 2016
Think of Andersen as Fuhr and I think you'll be happier. Currently there is no potvin in the system, something that we hope changes this year or next. But those take time and time is what Andersen is giving (hopefully)

Yeah, OK.
Fuhr played ten seasons before coming to Toronto though. :)

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
You can throw this in your OP, if you want to, Cor.. (and I could delete this post, if the Mods prefer, after)
It was buried over 30 pages back, so thought I'd re-post it, for anyone interested..

Frederik Andersen
Goalie -- shoots L
Born Oct 2 1989 -- Herning, Denmark
26 yrs. ago
Height 6.04 -- Weight 220

RECENT STATS:

2013-14 - Anaheim Ducks - NHL
28 Games... 20 Wins.. 5 Losses... 0 Ties... *0 S/O's..
.923 SV % ... 2.29 GAA..
-----------------------------------------------------------
2013-14 - Norfolk Admirals - AHL
1 Game... 1 Win.. *1 S/O..
2014 NHL PLAYOFFS
7 Games... 3 Wins.. 2 Losses... 5 Ties... *0 S/O's..
.899 SV % ... 3.10 GAA..
2014-15 - Anaheim Ducks - NHL
54 Games... 35 Wins.. 12 Losses... 5 Ties... *3 S/O's..
.914 SV % ... 2.38 GAA..
2015 NHL PLAYOFFS
16 Games... 11 Wins.. 5 Losses... 0 Ties... *1 S/O..
.913 SV % ... 2.34 GAA..
--------------------------------------------------------
2015-16 - Anaheim Ducks - NHL
43 Games... 22 Wins.. 9 Losses... 4 Ties... *3 S/O's..
.919 SV % ... 2.30 GAA..
--------------------------------------------
2016 NHL PLAYOFFS
5 Games... 3 Wins.. 2 Losses... 0 Ties... *1 S/O...
.947 SV % ... 1.41 GAA..

Nucleus: Frederik Andersen 2014-16 Saves & Highlights - TML (*HD)

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005

When Lou acquired Schneider, Cory was a year older than Andersen and had less games played in the NHL. His stats were a bit better, but Andersen's are quite good.

You have to give Lou the benefit of the doubt here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad