Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] TOR acquires G Michael Hutchinson for 2020 5th Round Pick

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Good idea, with the exception you've just killed whatever confidence Sparks has by doing that, clearly shows the team doesn't have confidence in him. So, we are at the same end game I envision. Cutting him loose.

I don't think Hutch is amazing, and I actually expect a stinker coming. Still better than Sparks imho.

If that kills Sparks confidence, then he isn’t cut out to be a backup goalie anyway.

Point is about maintaining depth, which to me, is the one valid point about sending Hutch down when Sparks is ready.

It doesn’t mean we can’t use Hutch in the pre-determined backup starts though.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
If that kills Sparks confidence, then he isn’t cut out to be a backup goalie anyway.

Point is about maintaining depth, which to me, is the one valid point about sending Hutch down when Sparks is ready.

It doesn’t mean we can’t use Hutch in the pre-determined backup starts though.
Agreed. But the bottom line is you're telling Sparks we don't have any confidence in him.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Agreed. But the bottom line is you're telling Sparks we don't have any confidence in him.

I don’t necessarily think that needs to be the case.

Quiet simply, he’s had half the season to be better than a .905 goalie. We’re a contending team, so we need to use the best preforming players, and right now, Hutch is playing better. Maybe Hutch has a huge stinker and Sparks gets the next backup start.

I’m not even opposed to giving Sparks more time. But by the deadline, if Sparks hasn’t raised his sv% to at least .910-.912 but more ideally .915+ than we need to look at making a tough decision.

But, I also think Holl should have been waived months ago but for whatever reason, he’s still on the roster

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hutch is making Dubas look good by his decision to go and get him, and it wasn't due to Sparks injury it was his play that triggered the desire to improve the position. IMO

Last edited:
Reactions: The Cobra

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I don’t necessarily think that needs to be the case.

Quiet simply, he’s had half the season to be better than a .905 goalie. We’re a contending team, so we need to use the best preforming players, and right now, Hutch is playing better. Maybe Hutch has a huge stinker and Sparks gets the next backup start.

I’m not even opposed to giving Sparks more time. But by the deadline, if Sparks hasn’t raised his sv% to at least .910-.912 but more ideally .915+ than we need to look at making a tough decision.

But, I also think Holl should have been waived months ago but for whatever reason, he’s still on the roster

I know, what is going on with that? Holl's even got a one way deal so there's not even an impact on the player's salary. I sincerely hope that there's no carryover rookie bonuses costing precious 2019-20 cap space because Holl (and Marincin) has been kept on the roster. Perhaps Holl's and Marincin's presence is more about Babcock having a couple of motivated defensemen opposing his forwards during line rushes at practice every day?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I know, what is going on with that? Holl's even got a one way deal so there's not even an impact on the player's salary. I sincerely hope that there's no carryover rookie bonuses costing precious 2019-20 cap space because Holl (and Marincin) has been kept on the roster. Perhaps Holl's and Marincin's presence is more about Babcock having a couple of motivated defensemen opposing his forwards during line rushes at practice every day?

Justin Holl is there because Dubas wanted his guy there. Babcock isn't using him, Dubas traded Carrick to make a spot for Holl, and frankly, we could have waived Holl and carried 3 goalies for a bit, and be better off.

However, at least Holl didn't take anyones spot, as Carrick was pretty bad in camp, so it doesn't really hurt anything. In fact, if he was on the Marlies, he'd take time away from Rosen, Liljegren, Sandin who we care about playing more, so it might be a blessing.

Reactions: smitty10

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
We have lots of cap space for this years player bonuses. So there will be no carry over into next year.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Good backup goalies are hard to come by imo. They already have a legit starter in Andersen so why let Hutchinson go to waste?

Imo, keep him, see if Sparks can get to the AHL or just lose him, it's not a big loss and even if it is 2-3 years from now, Andersen should still be capable in 2-3 years.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Some key saves by Hutch so far. Pretty big pressure by Boston. Help that Marchand missed a wide open net.

Reactions: The Cobra

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
He has outperformed my expectations but tonight he is showing his true colours. These kinda guys get exposed over time, especially against the better teams.

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Anyone think Anderson is hurt more than has been relayed. Babcock seemed frustrated in his presser and answering questions about Anderson.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
He has outperformed my expectations but tonight he is showing his true colours. These kinda guys get exposed over time, especially against the better teams.

Yeah Hutch is showing his true colours - a fierce competitor who rises to the occasion. Last night’s game was a preview of what a playoff game would look like- he stood toe to toe save for save with Rask and almost pulled out the win.

AND HE’S OUR BACKUP. He gives us a better chance to win against any team than Sparks. Hutch is who I want and who this team needs.

He’s definitely as our (backup) guy.

Unless we can get McElhinney back lol

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Anyone think Anderson is hurt more than has been relayed.

Groin injuries for a goalie are extremely serious.
They are probably making extra sure.
Last I heard his groin was better but he was "sick" (like infection sick).

And nary a word about Sparks.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Anyone think Anderson is hurt more than has been relayed. Babcock seemed frustrated in his presser and answering questions about Anderson.
Those Leaf doctors won't give Freddy the ok until he is 100%, they don't answer to Babs or Dubas I bet.

Reactions: AreBe

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
I'll play devils advocate and point out Hutch is 1 game away from needing waivers to be sent down so if he plays tomorrow then both he and Sparks will need waivers to be sent down and how stupid does Dubas become if we lose Sparks to waivers after giving away McStarter and Pickard for nothing to keep him ?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Hutch was a good pick up. He's playing as well as we can expect of him, given the whole situation. Didn't he start his first game before even meeting Babcock?

I have quite a bit more confidence in him than Sparks. But that should also be expected from someone with 100 career starts compared to like 20 or something.

Reactions: Kurtz

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I'll play devils advocate and point out Hutch is 1 game away from needing waivers to be sent down so if he plays tomorrow then both he and Sparks will need waivers to be sent down and how stupid does Dubas become if we lose Sparks to waivers after giving away McStarter and Pickard for nothing to keep him ?

Yep. I would also throw in that the Marlies are in bad need of a goalie, and it's either they get the very best with Hutch, or they get nothing.

Oh, and you never want a player to lose his job because of an injury (Sparks). Poor look and bad karma.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yep. I would also throw in that the Marlies are in bad need of a goalie, and it's either they get the very best with Hutch, or they get nothing.

Oh, and you never want a player to lose his job because of an injury (Sparks). Poor look and bad karma.

easiest solution is to waive marincin who's already passed before

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Maybe Dubas needs double down and offers Sparks an contract extension :sarcasm:. Anyway, it seems that Hutch will send to AHL tmw.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto

Hutchinson is on emergency recall. I don't think waivers apply.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
If Hutchenson dresses for tonight's game it will be a 10 game emergency recall and then he would require waivers.

The Leafs have only played 6 games since Hutchinson was acquired.

edit: Time with Florida counts, I guess. My assumption (false apparently) has always been that emergency recall games (and time) don't count for waivers exemption loss.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad