Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] TOR acquires G Michael Hutchinson for 2020 5th Round Pick

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Ya I agree. I understand the asset management aspect, but sparks doesn't look to have starter upside so what is the real cost of losing him?
Weigh the bonus of the possibility of having a backup the team is comfortable with if the need arises in the playoffs vs losing sparks. The name on the front of the jersey comes first.

Add this to the fact that Sparks could easily clear waivers, at the moment. So we might not lose Sparks at all if we keep Hutchinson as the backup going forward.

Reactions: saltming

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I know that is part of his job too, but to say he owes it to sparks is wrong. I know the most likely outcome is Hutch being sent down due to what you're saying, though if Hutch keeps going like he has the decission gets tougher, but not because they owe anything to sparks.
And again, sparks would probably clear waivers.

I doubt he clears waivers and I've never said he owes Sparks anything, I've said he should manage the organization's assets in the most advantageous way possible

Losing Sparks for nothing certainly isn't that

Reactions: Menzinger

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Hutch does not need Waivers and can be called up at any point. It would mean Holl or Marincin or the goat would go in waivers in no injury to a goalie.

As long as the Coach and GM are on the same page we could call up Hutch for all the starts Sparks was going to get and still send him down

For me it is easy. Attempt to trade Sparks and if no takers put him on waivers. We have a better back up who is not old and we go with the better goalie.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I doubt he clears waivers and I've never said he owes Sparks anything, I've said he should manage the organization's assets in the most advantageous way possible

Losing Better goalies for nothing is a joke he already cost us a draft pick to get a goalie. It is time to cut bait. If Sparks gets picked up then so be it. The better assest is Hutch and Sparks is not worth keeping over Hutch.

Reactions: mikeyz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Losing Better goalies for nothing is a joke he already cost us a draft pick to get a goalie. It is time to cut bait. If Sparks gets picked up then so be it. The better assest is Hutch and Sparks is not worth keeping over Hutch.

It's called waivers, 2 guys had to go on waivers no matter what
We kept the younger guy, it was the correct decision

It was a 5th and we've got 2 4th's so that's a non issue and Hutchinson has already gone through waivers so even if he is sent down he's going nowhere

The best asset management is to keep both players by not putting Sparks through waivers

Reactions: The Missing Piece

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Hutch does not need Waivers and can be called up at any point. It would mean Holl or Marincin or the goat would go in waivers in no injury to a goalie.

As long as the Coach and GM are on the same page we could call up Hutch for all the starts Sparks was going to get and still send him down

For me it is easy. Attempt to trade Sparks and if no takers put him on waivers. We have a better back up who is not old and we go with the better goalie.

Hutch can play 2 more games (10 total - he has 8 so far with Flo and Tor) before he needs waivers to be sent down.

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
The second goal sucked last night, but other than that Hutch was good. He's been better than Sparks, positionally, in my eyes, and I trust him more.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It's called waivers, 2 guys had to go on waivers no matter what
We kept the younger guy, it was the correct decision

It was a 5th and we've got 2 4th's so that's a non issue and Hutchinson has already gone through waivers so even if he is sent down he's going nowhere

The best asset management is to keep both players by not putting Sparks through waivers
How do you figure? Mcbackup played well last year. Of goalies who have played at least 14 games, he is third in the league GAA and 11th in save %.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How do you figure? Mcbackup played well last year. Of goalies who have played at least 14 games, he is third in the league GAA and 11th in save %.

McBackup is in his mid 30's and Sparks is in his mid 20's and just finished with an amazing AHL season and Calder win

We made the decision on potential upside, it's the smart strategy to take from a pure asset management pov

Reactions: Slot and leuf

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
McBackup is in his mid 30's and Sparks is in his mid 20's and just finished with an amazing AHL season and Calder win

We made the decision on potential upside, it's the smart strategy to take from a pure asset management pov
Not really. That kind of logic would support keeping Zaitsev over Giordano

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other

No the post you quoted me on I was responding to a post saying dubas owes it to sparks not to demote him right away.

Reactions: Kiwi

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That is completely insane

Giordano has been a stud defenseman over the entirety of his career, not a dog **** career backup riding a couple of good seasons getting backup amounts of starts

Doesn't make it true however
Nope it doesn't. We won't know until he is waived

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I dont think Sparks makes anybody feel comfortable while in net. On a team not as offensively gifted as the Leafs he would have a much worse record and his terrible positioning in net reminds of some really bad Leafs goalies of recent memory.

I dont know just how much better Hutch is than Sparks, but he is clearly more sound in what he is doing. I hope he remains our backup.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
That is completely insane

Giordano has been a stud defenseman over the entirety of his career, not a dog **** career backup riding a couple of good seasons getting backup amounts of starts
You said nothing of that. The truth is that someone failed to properly rank order the skills of these 2 goalies and it wasn't me. Mcbackup is clearly better and the Leafs chose youth over skill because they felt that Sparks was equal or better.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We won't do it, because we've made our bed. That said, I could care less if Sparks is claimed, he's not an NHL goalie in my view, so let's just cut to the chase already.

Reactions: saltming

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Nope it doesn't. We won't know until he is waived

That's why you don't waive him in the first place, you know, because Hutchinson can be sent down without them

No they picked Sparks because he's younger, had a great season in the minors and still has some potential upside

Unlike the 35 year old career backup that's been consistently **** over the bulk of his career

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
That's why you don't waive him in the first place, you know, because Hutchinson can be sent down without them

No they picked Sparks because he's younger, had a great season in the minors and still has some potential upside

Unlike the 35 year old career backup that's been consistently **** over the bulk of his career
It's the backup position. If mc fails next year waive him. Is sparks fails this year, waive him. Losing sparks is not going to set up back. The marlies on the other hand will be in a tough spot until Kaskisuo rebounds from the injury
Saying sparks will be picked up also doesn't make it true, but even if he is, really no skin off TMLs nose.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
It's the backup position. If mc fails next year waive him. Is sparks fails this year, waive him. Losing sparks is not going to set up back. The marlies on the other hand will be in a tough spot until Kaskisuo rebounds from the injury
Saying sparks will be picked up also doesn't make it true, but even if he is, really no skin off TMLs nose.

WE DON'T HAVE TO WAIVE ANYBODY

Hutchinson can be sent down to help the Marlies and be our #3G and Sparks can continue in the backup position

If you want to change the backup you do it in the offseason instead of risking Sparks and potentially putting us back in a hole depth wise again

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Unlike the 35-year-old career backup that's been consistent **** over the bulk of his career

Career backup usually means the guy is a decent backup ;)

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
WE DON'T HAVE TO WAIVE ANYBODY

Hutchinson can be sent down to help the Marlies and be our #3G and Sparks can continue in the backup position

If you want to change the backup you do it in the offseason instead of risking Sparks and potentially putting us back in a hole depth wise again
I know we don't have to waive anybody. Got that. I'm also pretty sure Hutch will be sent down for that reason, but imho he shouldn't be.
If Andersen get a injury in the playoffs, knock on wood he doesn't, who would you prefer to be filling the net, sparks of Hutch?
P.S.
If you only change the backup in the offseason, what was the deal with Enroth?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Career backup usually means the guy is a decent backup ;)

Looks at his numbers over that stretch, the last couple of years are solid but before that he sucked

I'm amazed he managed to stick in the league honestly

I know we don't have to waive anybody. Got that. I'm also pretty sure Hutch will be sent down for that reason, but imho he shouldn't be.
If Andersen get a injury in the playoffs, knock on wood he doesn't, who would you prefer to be filling the net, sparks of Hutch?
P.S.
If you only change the backup in the offseason, what was the deal with Enroth?

If they like Hutchinson better come playoff time go for it

You cannot potentially gut the goalie depth again however before then after you've already delt a 5th trying to get some depth in the first place, that's nuts

You mean we replaced him with a guy we got off waivers? Still sure Sparks isn't getting picked up are we?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Looks at his numbers over that stretch, the last couple of years are solid but before that he sucked

I'm amazed he managed to stick in the league honestly

If they like Hutchinson better come playoff time go for it

You cannot potentially gut the goalie depth again however before then after you've already delt a 5th trying to get some depth in the first place, that's nuts

You mean we replaced him with a guy we got off waivers? Still sure Sparks isn't getting picked up are we?
Yes I'm fairly confident he would pass through. Hutch has a much longer NHL record than sparks and better numbers in the NHL. If you're gambling on a backup why would you go for someone whose career is substandard?
Kaskisuo is having a down year. I attribute it to his injury. Um hoping the second half of the season he's better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->