Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] TOR acquires G Michael Hutchinson for 2020 5th Round Pick

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
That Sparks is coming back from a concussion and is further away than Freddy?

i heard on leafs lunch the Nylander dinged him twice in the head in the same practice.

then he went onto concussion protocol.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Hypothetically, in a playoff scenario, say it’s game 7 vs Boston and all of a sudden Freddie gets injured (heaven forbid). Are we all comfortable electing Sparks in net Vs THE HUTCH?

#LetSparksFly
it won't matter, no FA no series win again the Bs.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The goal of the GM is to manage the organizations resources in the most advantageous way possible, not to necessarily ice the best team

If we were strictly icing the best team Moore would still be suiting up

If he can send Hutchinson down without waivers and not lose Sparks for nothing he absolutely should
I know that is part of his job too, but to say he owes it to sparks is wrong. I know the most likely outcome is Hutch being sent down due to what you're saying, though if Hutch keeps going like he has the decission gets tougher, but not because they owe anything to sparks.
And again, sparks would probably clear waivers.

Reactions: zaqq

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I know that is part of his job too, but to say he owes it to sparks is wrong. I know the most likely outcome is Hutch being sent down due to what you're saying, though if Hutch keeps going like he has the decission gets tougher, but not because they owe anything to sparks.
And again, sparks would probably clear waivers.
This issue probably comes to head if Hutch looks good up here (check), but gets sent down and then Sparks shits the bed his next start. Then we have a real controversy I think.

For my money we go with Hutch, but given the waivers considerations, he will go down. Losing Sparks isn't much of a worry from where I sit anyway, looks the endgame eventually anyways.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This issue probably comes to head if Hutch looks good up here (check), but gets sent down and then Sparks ****s the bed his next start. Then we have a real controversy I think.

For my money we go with Hutch, but given the waivers considerations, he will go down. Losing Sparks isn't much of a worry from where I sit anyway, looks the endgame eventually anyways.

Some how, some way my guess is Hutch wont go down till Andersen is ready, someone said something about Hutch has 30 days in the NHL before he has to go back down, is that correct?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'm old enough to remember when people were saying Hutch would make me appreciate how good Sparks is.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Some how, some way my guess is Hutch wont go down till Andersen is ready, someone said something about Hutch has 30 days in the NHL before he has to go back down, is that correct?

I believe as an emergency recall if he plays 10 games he has to go through waivers in order to be sent back down.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wonder if we could maneuver Sparks to a team like PHI to get a Gudas.
That would be great.

Has there been any update on Sparks' injury, when he may return?

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
What's Hutch's contract situation?

At the moment he comfortably wins the spot over Sparks imo. Be interesting to see top brass' thoughts on the matter when the decision needs to be made.

He seems a lot less erratic than Sparks.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Hutch has been good...backup wise. A couple softies, but his rebound control, play reads and calmer demeanor are very noticeable over Sparks. I have more confidence in Hutchinson. Sparks lack of reading plays well and just reacting has always worried me. He is better than he was at this, but even with the Marlies it was a concern. Hutchinson has had trouble with consistency in the past though. This will be a tough decision for the Leafs.

Reactions: DarkKnight

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Not only do I not think Sparks is the better backup for us, I don't even think he belongs in the league anywhere. I can't remember the last time a goalie looked so completely out of place in net.

I would be thrilled if Hutch keeps the backup job for the rest of the year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think the Leafs trade Hutchinson again after Sparks comes back.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Not only do I not think Sparks is the better backup for us, I don't even think he belongs in the league anywhere. I can't remember the last time a goalie looked so completely out of place in net.

I would be thrilled if Hutch keeps the backup job for the rest of the year.

Sparks is fine, and way ahead of McElhinney at the same age...

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
Sparks is fine, and way ahead of McElhinney at the same age...

I know that players have different development curves, and goalies take longer to develop and everything. I get that. But Sparks is 25, and doesn't look close to poised in net. He looks like a career AHLer. He got by down there by being huge. But against NHL competition he looks bad. He goes down too quick, tries to cover when he shouldn't, and he isn't tracking the puck properly.

For every late bloomer, there's thousands of players who just couldn't make it.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
This issue probably comes to head if Hutch looks good up here (check), but gets sent down and then Sparks ****s the bed his next start. Then we have a real controversy I think.

Ya I agree. I understand the asset management aspect, but sparks doesn't look to have starter upside so what is the real cost of losing him?
Weigh the bonus of the possibility of having a backup the team is comfortable with if the need arises in the playoffs vs losing sparks. The name on the front of the jersey comes first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->