Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] TOR acquires G Michael Hutchinson for 2020 5th Round Pick

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
But he only played 3 games here and all of a sudden he is some kinda saviour to our backup goalie position? He is garbage. Not saying that Sparks is much better, though.
Nobody is saying he's a saviour, but he's played a decent amount in this league, and could be a better option than Sparks. Saying he's better than Sparks doesn't exactly equate to a god send. I like him better in the net so far, but I'm hardly enamoured, nor will I paint myself in a corner lauded the guy. Looks adequate in there, Sparks looks like he doesn't belong.

Reactions: Havoc

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Even if the Leafs really liked how Hutchinson has looked, it would be really crappy of them to demote Sparks as soon as he's ready to come back from injury. The Leafs are sort of obligated to give Sparks a start or two more before making this decision and there's no rush. It'll probably be an impossible task for the backup goalie to convince the coach to change his mind. We all know that if a coach formed an opinion about a player he has a major uphill climb to convince the coach otherwise.

Reactions: Lauro

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Even if the Leafs really liked how Hutchinson has looked, it would be really crappy of them to demote Sparks as soon as he's ready to come back from injury. The Leafs are sort of obligated to give Sparks a start or two more before making this decision and there's no rush. It'll probably be an impossible task for the backup goalie to convince the coach to change his mind. We all know that if a coach formed an opinion about a player he has a major uphill climb to convince the coach otherwise.
Happens all the time.

Babcock likes big goalies.

Sparks is big, but for some reason he's always down, making himself small in the net.

Plus the fact the game seems too fast for him in the NHL.

If he plays again for the Leafs, watch his game focus on what he is doing, and he is unable to track the puck well. That is very surprising for a NHL goalie.

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
Hutch played good tonight, curious..does he have to clear waivers to be sent down to the Marlies when Sparks comes back? Would hate to lose him. Just didn’t know because he probably cleared waivers already this year to be sent down and was called up from the Marlies.

Reactions: The Cobra

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hutch played good tonight, curious..does he have to clear waivers to be sent down to the Marlies when Sparks comes back? Would hate to lose him. Just didn’t know because he probably cleared waivers already this year to be sent down and was called up from the Marlies.
No because it was an emergency call up.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The goal is to ice the best team. The gm is obligated to do that for the fans. He may feel an obligation to the player, but it's a business not personal.

Reactions: forecheck

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Hutch is a better goaltender, period. Not only was he tossed the wolves on a new team straight from the AHL, but hes posted better numbers overall.

hutch.png

He'll go back down to the marlies once sparks comes back but I expect him to become the leafs backup for next season.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
They would never do that. The fire is now lit under Sparks behind while Hutch gives the marlies some much needed help in goal & works on his game.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Hutch is a better goaltender, period. Not only was he tossed the wolves on a new team straight from the AHL, but hes posted better numbers overall.

View attachment 174325
He'll go back down to the marlies once sparks comes back but I expect him to become the leafs backup for next season.
I think you are correct. I will be surprised if Sparksy gets sent down,even though it is evident that Hutch is the better goalie.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Hutch may indeed be the better goalie (debatable) but he will surely be sent to the Marlies when Sparks comes back.

I don't think Sparks would clear waivers, and Hutch won't need waivers. That way we don't lose an asset for nothing.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Hutch may indeed be the better goalie (debatable) but he will surely be sent to the Marlies when Sparks comes back.

I don't think Sparks would clear waivers, and Hutch won't need waivers. That way we don't lose an asset for nothing.

He does need to clear waivers. I don't think he would clear though. Guys like McKenna are getting claimed. If a team hasn't scouted us and simply saw his record they'd probably put in the claim. Just depends on if you're willing to lose him.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I expect Hutch will go back to the Marlies once Sparks is cleared, but if Hutch is playing well down there and Sparks has a couple of weak performances in his first couple of games, you could see Hutch come back up and Sparks waived or if it's after the trade deadline maybe we carry 3 goalies.

Reactions: The Cobra

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
If Sparks can get Hutchinson's composure in net, he'd be an elite backup. Someone you can trust with 20-25 games.

Until then I go with Hutchinson. He's not as athletic as Sparks but seems to have a higher IQ and tracks the puck better. IQ and puck tracking >>>>> athleticism for goalies in my books.

Sparks would have been down and out and flipping around like a seal on some of Hutchinson's routine saves.

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I don't think we should make decisions based on how long players are in the system anymore. I'm sure Babcock preferred McBackup over Sparks but the decision seemed to have already been made.
Backup goalies you should just stick with what works until it doesn't.
It only cost a 5th rounder to fix our issue.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The goal is to ice the best team. The gm is obligated to do that for the fans. He may feel an obligation to the player, but it's a business not personal.

The goal of the GM is to manage the organizations resources in the most advantageous way possible, not to necessarily ice the best team

If we were strictly icing the best team Moore would still be suiting up

If he can send Hutchinson down without waivers and not lose Sparks for nothing he absolutely should

Reactions: WilliamNylander

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Send Hutchinson down to help out the Marlies for this year. If Sparks doesn't make a noticeable improvement in his game for the rest of the season, let him walk and resign Hutchinson to be the backup next year.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
Hypothetically, in a playoff scenario, say it’s game 7 vs Boston and all of a sudden Freddie gets injured (heaven forbid). Are we all comfortable electing Sparks in net Vs THE HUTCH?

#LetSparksFly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad