Confirmed Trade: [TOR/FLA] Denis Malgin for Mason Marchment

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I don't understand this for Florida, they are in a playoff battleand gave up a guy that we at least know is an NHL player for a guy that isn't and make no mistake Mason Marchment isn't an NHL guy.

It's a minor deal but I don't get it.
Probably Florida were gonna waive Malgin.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Love it!

Such a small trade that won't have much effect, but personal fan of Malgin, so I love it.

Malgin played with Matthews in Zurich, so while Malgin will likely be relegated to a depth role, won't be surprised if they at least test that in practice (which is not to suggest I think this trade solved Toronto's problems).

Malgin has NHL skills, imo, but needed a change of scenery from Q

I like your optimism, it's cute.

HockeyGuruPitka

Jan 27, 2010
Toronto
Dubas gets one fluffy AHL player per year. Last year was Petan and this year is Malgin. Hes also got Bracco down there. Must know what hes doing right

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Kind of weird these teams made a trade since they look to be competing for the same playoff spot.

That’s what I was thinking. This likely has very very little impact on the standings but even the 1% either player breaks out would make me back out when it’s such a close race

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
so he asked for a trade out of florida. Wouldn’t he do the same once he realizes that johnsson, kapanen, engvall, nylander, marner, kerfoot, hyman, mikheyev, and maybe timashov (quite physical for a short guy albeit chunky) are ahead of him. And then there is also korshkov who is tall and can handle physical contact and petan in the minors.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't get this for the Panthers . Malgin is an NHL player i don't think Marchment is .

Need cap room. Panthers couldn't make trades without guys going back the other way.

Maybe this makes a trade in the works easier to pull off.

That said, why would the Leafs help the Panthers to do that :laugh:

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Leafs don't have enough players who play like men, so Poindexter goes out and gets another little boy. Marchment not very good but could have been a throw-in where Leafs get back something useful.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Toronto really needed to get softer.
We're softer because of this?

Marchment has only played 4 NHL games and shouldn't have even played that. He's probably the worst skater I've seen in the NHL. Guy looks like Bambi out there. Can't keep up with the play, can't stay on his feet. Malgin's also 2 years younger than Marchment.

Like this as a depth move.

Reactions: Leafidelity

johnnybbadd

Mar 29, 2011
Not really enthused. Dubas needs to learn that hockey is about more than just goals and assists. Watching the way that Pittsburgh skated and competed yesterday showed what the Leafs don’t have.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Looks like a cap.dump for florida and the leafs add a fourth line piece.

Seems like a good deal for toronto. Could be good for Florida too (depending on where they use thencap savings).

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I could see Dudas having his eyes on a guy like Brandon Montour. Especially with reports buffalo is looking for top 6 wingers with term. Seems like a good fit

I wanted Montour when Buffalo got him from Anaheim. He's a great "buy low" candidate, right now. But he doesn't play the steady shutdown style that Toronto is reportedly looking for.

I think the Leafs are going to have to settle for a rental at the TDL this year. The guys that really fit are just not shaking loose. I hope they land the right guy. But I'm lowering my expectations.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Malgin should look solid playing on Spezzas right side.

Clifford-Spezza-Malgin

Could be a decent fourth line.

Reactions: Uncle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad