Confirmed with Link: [TOR/FLA] #137 (C Dmitry Ovchinnikov) from FLA for #153 & #212

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Russian forward Dmitri Ovchinnikov has had a real breakout year. Playing for Sibirskie Snaipery Novosibirsk in the MHL, Russia’s under-20 league, he has put up over a point per game. Ovchinnikov scored 24 goals and 31 assists for 55 points in 54 games. He also earned a chance to play in the KHL, getting in two games for Sibir Novosibirsk. While he didn’t pick up any points, he also didn’t get much ice time as his parent club is taking their time in developing a promising young player. Ovchinnikov also played two games for the Russian Under-18 National Team, picking up two goals and an assist for three points.

In 2018-19, Ovchinnikov played in the Russian Under-18 league, scoring seven goals and 10 assists for 17 points in just 10 games. This led to the Novosibirsk moving him up to the MHL, where he scored two goals and five assists for seven points in 40 games, playing as a 16-year-old. He also played eight games for Russia’s Under-17 National Team, putting up three goals and three assists for six points. An August birthdate, it is important to note that Ovchinnikov is one of the younger players in this draft class.

Dmitri Ovchinnikov Scouting Report: 2020 NHL Draft #68

and

2020 Draft Sleepers: Robins, Ovchinnikov, and Rhinehart -

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
"He plays with pace, attacks the inside, cuts through traffic, makes flashy net drives, and creates passing lane. He identifies the trailer and teammates through layers. Defensively, Ovchinnikov brings refined decision-making and discipline. He supports the play, keeps an active stick to deter passes, and brings a consistent effort." - Elite Prospects

Over PPG last year in the MHL and again so far this year in the MHL.

Played 2 KHL games last year, and 3 so far this year

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Scouching loves this pick.

Says this could be an absolute steal.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Have we picked any North American, lol? Not that I care but it's so strange that despite our Head Amateur Scout being Tim Speltz whose got such a stronghold in Western Canada, and our head scout based out of US (Boston), all our picks have been European players.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Have we picked any North American, lol? Not that I care but it's so strange that despite our Head Amateur Scout being Tim Speltz whose got such a stronghold in Western Canada, and our head scout based out of US (Boston), all our picks have been European players.

William Villeneuve. QMJHL.

The plan is clearly to only pick players in active leagues.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
From Dobber Prospects:

An incredibly quick skater with great vision and an even better shot. Currently lacks the strength needed to perform against physical competition. Has the ability to be a dangerous goal-scorer at the higher levels.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Leaf fans on social media are having full on meltdowns over drafting all these Europeans :laugh:
Prefer drafting euros where the leafs reach/eyeballs gives them an advantage in the later rounds than an over saturated NA market. Dubas tried that mostly NA strategy back in 2018 and hasn't looked great.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Thoroughly scouting one area doesn't make the players that play there any better.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Prefer drafting euros where the leafs reach/eyeballs gives them an advantage in the later rounds than an over saturated NA market. Dubas tried that mostly NA strategy back in 2018 and hasn't looked great.

I imagine they are picking the guys they think are the best players, and not based on where they are from. That would be silly.

Go4soda

Dec 15, 2015
I imagine they are picking the guys they think are the best players, and not based on where they are from. That would be silly.
No problem at all here with all the euro picks. Hope some of these guys pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad